Snacking and On-the-Go Food Ideas.

Options
I'm sure that has been asked many times but I am wondering what you all eat when your in a hurry, not able to sit down for a meal or for quick snacks? I am frequently on the go with minimal time to actually sit down so I find myself eating processed, high sodium foods that make me feel disgusting later AND I know are not healthy. Ideas PLEASE!

Replies

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    If you have the time to make them, my current favourite are egg muffins; essentially quick-and-easy omelettes. You can just have plain egg, but I usually add chorizo or sausage to mine. If you're having a 'filling' then put these at the bottom of the muffin tin 'cups'. Then, whisk up a couple of eggs and pour it over the top (two eggs usually makes four muffins). Stick in the oven at 180 (fan assisted) and cook for about 15-20 minutes.

With the fillings, I can usually make four which come to 252 calories in all, and they are really filling. I also occasionally make them and stick them in a wrap with some lettuce, like a breakfast wrap kinda thing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, boiled eggs, Kashi bars, fruit, veggies.

If you know that you have a hectic lifestyle, you can plan ahead for it. It sounds like you haven't been planning ahead and that is where you get stuck. Something that might help is cutting up a bunch of veggies and sticking them in individual portion sized baggies/containers. Put them in the fridge along with a yogurt (or cheese stick or boiled egg or whatever) plus a granola bar (or whatever) and then when you're heading out the door grab one of each. You could even put one of each in a brown bag so you only have to grab a bag and go.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, almonds, string-cheese, alive & radiant kale krunch (all varieties), raw veggies, fruit, turkey jerky
  • shay77223
    shay77223 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    What jemhh said is sooo right. I meal prep and it is awesome! I take Sundays to decide on lunches for the week, get all the groceries and prep everything. Then I just have to grab the container labeled "Thursday lunch" and im set. I do the same with fruits and veggies for snacks. If you wash and prep them beforehand, then it's just as easy to grab a bag of carrot sticks or blueberries as a bag of Cheetos. Plus when all the meals are planned for the week, I only have to make good choices once! The rest of the week is just about not adding food to the already planned and prepped days, like breakroom doughnuts(my kryptonite lol)
  • chaoticmomx4
    chaoticmomx4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    shay77223 wrote: »
    What jemhh said is sooo right. I meal prep and it is awesome! I take Sundays to decide on lunches for the week, get all the groceries and prep everything. Then I just have to grab the container labeled "Thursday lunch" and im set. I do the same with fruits and veggies for snacks. If you wash and prep them beforehand, then it's just as easy to grab a bag of carrot sticks or blueberries as a bag of Cheetos. Plus when all the meals are planned for the week, I only have to make good choices once! The rest of the week is just about not adding food to the already planned and prepped days, like breakroom doughnuts(my kryptonite

I LOVE the idea of having individual bags for each day ready to go! I will def. be doing that. Also like the idea of the egg muffins. I currently do snack on granola bars, cheese sticks...but I guess what I really am trying to do is less per packaged/processed foods and more clean eating. So I guess the preparing in advance is a gonna be the key.
  • chaoticmomx4
    chaoticmomx4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the idea of having individual bags for each day ready to go! I will def. be doing that. Also like the idea of the egg muffins. I currently do snack on granola bars, cheese sticks...but I guess what I really am trying to do is less pre packaged/processed foods and more clean eating. So I guess the preparing in advance is gonna be the key.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I tend to pack little plastic pots full of cucumber and tomato and nuts and yoghurt to get me through the day, and I have a fruit bowl on my desk at work and take a couple of bags of fruit in with me on a Monday so that if I'm peckish I grab one of those instead of being at all tempted to nip to the shop for a chocolate bar!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I buy one of those 100 packs of Ziploc baggies and try to pre-portion food as soon as I get it home. Then I have no excuse if I need to grab and go.