Which is right?

According to the elliptical trainer I was on this morning, I burned 300 calories.
According to this site, I entered the excercise and the time and it came up with 469 calories.

So which is right? I hate to do it, but I had to rely on the smaller number....unless you fine folks out there tell me I burned even more!!

Any idea?

Replies

• goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    According to the elliptical trainer I was on this morning, I burned 300 calories.
    According to this site, I entered the excercise and the time and it came up with 469 calories.

So which is right? I hate to do it, but I had to rely on the smaller number....unless you fine folks out there tell me I burned even more!!

Any idea?
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    As long as you are entering your weight into the machine, it should be fairly accurate. That is what I always go by. It helps also if it senses your heart rate. I always go by what the machine says rather than our database. But the database is what I use for strength training or stuff that doesn't give me a calorie amount. Hopefully this helps.

*Kistinbee*
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    I agree...go by the machine itself because you could have slowed down at times or sped up or took a rest, etc.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    As long as you are entering your weight into the machine, it should be fairly accurate. That is what I always go by. It helps also if it senses your heart rate. I always go by what the machine says rather than our database. But the database is what I use for strength training or stuff that doesn't give me a calorie amount. Hopefully this helps.

*Kistinbee*

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought- but boy was I excited to see I burned an extra 169 calories when I logged in this morning....*sigh* too bad!
    Thanks!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    :smile: I have the same problem because my machine will say I burned 200 and then come here and it says way over 300 LOL ah well, it's something!
  • :laugh: SAY that again its SOMETHING!!!!!LOL:bigsmile:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    My eliptical machine does the same thing, registers less than the site. In this case, I use the amount on the machine. For other kinds of exercise, I had to approximate calories. I looked up calorie counts from different sites and took an average between the highest and lowest I could find, I thought that might be a more accurate count that always using the lowest amount. Also, since I had a very, very, very sedentary life last year, I decided to add a few household activities as exercise points. For example, I vacuumed my car, my friend's car, and split firewood for two hours one day, so I added those activities to my log, which added to my exercise calories and time. Also, I have a big house with lots of stairs, so on my housekeeping days I make sure I work at a level that increases heart rate and I give myself extra points for that. Even though cooking and dishwashing also use calories, I don't add things like that.

I live in Washington where it's hard to get out unless you want to ski so I had to be creative. I gathered all my old work out items and came up with a nice gym right here at home. I have a step, a yoga pad, some weights, an eliptical machine, a group of work out videos and a DDR game for our playstation. I do 60 minutes on my machine during my favorite afternoon talk show. Then I do 20 minutes of dancing with my daughter, or weights, or calesthenics. I also do 40 minutes of active household chores like rearranging furniture or bringing in firewood or working in the barn.

I feel absolutely wonderful. What I've discovered is that the more I do, the more I want to do. I started out on Jan 6th doing only 30 minutes of very slow exercise and in three weeks, I'm finding that my craving has shifted from food to exercise. Does that make sense??? Anyway, rest is important and that's what I need now. Have a great night.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    I always go to the internet and compare a couple sites based on my weight as well, then I choose the happy medium.
  • What websites do people use to find out calories burned?
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    What websites do people use to find out calories burned?

One of the ones I check is HealthStatus.com, that site usually shows a happy medium of all sites, but I usually just punch in "calories burned for....." and it brings up a whole bunch of sites
  • shurl
    shurl Posts: 7
    I agree with kistenbee, trust the machine you are using. Remember not all machines are created equal.