Protein shakes & between meals snacks

Options
mrsroldan
mrsroldan Posts: 26 Member
Hello, I'm looking for advice on, in between meal snack or shakes that are good and healthy. I love fruits but I get tired of them. Any suggestions?

Replies

• amypenn
    amypenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Following this so I can get Ideas too !!! - Google Bliss balls (low Cal) i find they are quite good
  • beckygammon
    beckygammon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think as long as it fits in with your calories or macros, or what ever it is you are tracking, then it is okay to have snacks. If you are hungry though. If you're not hungry I wouldn't feel the need to have a snack. If you are counting calories, technically you can have anything you like as a snack as long as it fits them. For macros, it depends what they are but I would go with something high in protein, like a shake. I personally like to eat, so I stick to solid snacks, unless I feel like a snack. Quest protein chips are my favourite snacks. Some others I like are: fruit, vegetable sticks dipped in something low cal like sriracha, a hard boiled egg, a protein bar, or if I do feel like a drink a low cal hot chocolate made with warmed skim or almond milk and I would add some protein powder to that as well.

Hope this helps.

BTW: I only just started this 3 days ago, so definitely no expert.
  • FunSizedKJ
    FunSizedKJ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes for breakfast meal replacement because I can never seem to eat in the morning without feeling sick. To be 100% honest, I've used a bunch of different brands and it all comes down to two things, IMO, with the shakes. You either get awkward after tastes OR you get chalkiness, it would be up to you to decide which is more important.

I prefer chalkiness over the "weird" tasting ones because I mix with water and add nothing to them (no flavors, fruit, peanut butter, etc), so I use Six Star Decadent Chocolate. 140 calories and 30 g of protein, but only 1 g of fat and 3 g of carbs.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    in-between meals I'm eating apple, a lot of watermelon, walnuts, I drink a lot of water and other vegetables like carrots or I drink a cup of black coffee. I've been drinking protein shake at lunch as a meal replacement. Yesterday I made 0.25 cup of frozen pineapple, 0.5 cup of frozen cranberry, 2 celery sticks, 1 tbs flax seed, 1 scoop of chocolate protein shake, 1 beetroot and it was cold and absolutely delicious! it tasted like ice-cream. It kept me full till 5 pm even though I exercised.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For protein shakes, I use Trutein. Mostly in the mornings because I never have time to cook my breakfasts these days. Also, if I am feeling hungry at night I will maybe have one. I've tried a few different ones and Truetein is the only one I can stand. xD The chocolate flavors are the best. I usually add water to mine, but I've added milk and almond milk in the past and it lessens the chalky flavor/texture.
    For snacks, it's usually fruit, low calorie string cheese, popcorn, snap peas, carrots, cherry tomatoes. Lately I have been loving chips and salsa for a snack. The Pace salsa I get is 10 calories for 2tbs. I weigh out an 1oz of the chips I use. I've recently discovered whole wheat waffles are only 85 calories each, so I may start snacking on that. If I eat too much fruit it just makes me hungrier later on in the day, it seems.
  • SM_95
    SM_95 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty bad with snacking so will be following for help too!
    I've come across the graze boxes or any of those type, they're super yummy and have different options for what you're looking for! I'd recommend giving the free box a go! I'm also not above shameless self promotion so here's my discount code if you do want a free box :) HHX3369PE
    Other snacks I go for are chopped up carrots or cucumber sticks in the fridge. I also pre hard boil eggs to snack on.
    Frozen banana in the fridge takes longer to eat but is super good and blended up tastes like icecream!
    I've also found quest bars recently! If you can get your hands on some! (Recommend cookies and cream). Being in the uk I order online
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are good if you have a hard time getting in enough protein. I love snacking on hard boiled eggs, beef jerky (minus the high sodium but great for protein as well), granola bars, etc...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    All of the above plus: yogurt--watch for added sugar. PB & whole wheat English muffin or toast--very satisfying after workout or when feeling really hungry. Sometimes eat a whole one sometimes half. Just watch the calories on PB. Low fat mozarella sticks. Hubby likes laughing cow cheese & Triscuits. Dried apricots & almonds. Again watch serving size on almonds. 1 square dark chocolate >70% cacao.
  • AlexanderAmelia
    AlexanderAmelia Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like Larabars; easy to carry, just fruit and nuts, good mix of macros.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Sugar free tropical fruit flavored Popsicles, 15 calories.

My go to snack

I don't snack on shakes

To easy to let calories add up for me

I like eating solid food to feel full.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like Premier High Protein Shakes, I mix the vanilla with coffee over ice after my morning runs. Taste great, 30g of protein and 160 calories. For snacks, I try to eat 100 calorie packs of almonds or Star-Kist tuna packs, also around 100 calories and lots of protein. Greek yogurt is also a good snack.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »
    I like Premier High Protein Shakes, I mix the vanilla with coffee over ice after my morning runs. Taste great, 30g of protein and 160 calories. For snacks, I try to eat 100 calorie packs of almonds or Star-Kist tuna packs, also around 100 calories and lots of protein. Greek yogurt is also a good snack.

I keep premier around as well. Great protein to carb ratio, almost zero sugar, and they taste pretty good. I don't really drink them as snacks though. More of a supplement on active days when I couldn't get enough whole food protein in.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I do like the Core Power Light shakes (about 150 cals, 20g of protein) or the Quest bars, which usually also have about 20g of protein and are about 160-190 cals. I have them just about every day, but mostly as protein insurance, because I have a hard time eating so much meat.

I bet they'd make decent snacks though, the protein and fiber in either would hold you over between meals for sure.
  • Jill4165
    Jill4165 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I try and keep my snacks pretty healthy. I like nuts (as long as you measure them out), cheese, jerky, fruit, sugar free jello, veggies with hummus.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I love Bariatric Fusion and all of their flavors are really good. Great protein for very few carbs and calories. Bariatric Advantage is good too, but with higher carbs.
  • mrsroldan
    Options
    Thank you, I will look it up. :)
  • mrsroldan
    Options
    amypenn wrote: »
    Following this so I can get Ideas too !!! - Google Bliss balls (low Cal) i find they are quite good

Ty I will look it up
  • mrsroldan
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I love Bariatric Fusion and all of their flavors are really good. Great protein for very few carbs and calories. Bariatric Advantage is good too, but with higher carbs.

Ty I will check it out
  • mrsroldan
    Options
    I do like the Core Power Light shakes (about 150 cals, 20g of protein) or the Quest bars, which usually also have about 20g of protein and are about 160-190 cals. I have them just about every day, but mostly as protein insurance, because I have a hard time eating so much meat.

I bet they'd make decent snacks though, the protein and fiber in either would hold you over between meals for sure.

Ty u so much
  • mrsroldan
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »

Thank you so much! I like everything you mentioned here, I'll look up the premier high protein shake