How many calories does an hour at the gym burn?

Options
If I do 60% cardio (treadmill / cross-trainer / bike) & 40% weight machines. I want to make sure I don't over-estimate, but I thought 250 calories would be about right?

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I add all exercise as cardio but I amend the number of calories depending on the exercise. I allow 100% for steady state like jogging or elliptical, 75% for circuit class and 50% for weights.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your stats (eg weight), fitness level, how much effort you're putting in (eg jogging vs sprint intervals).
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Impossible for us to estimate that for you. Too many variables, not enough info.
  • Becky170467
    Becky170467 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 kg & do 15 minutes treadmill - half running at 9.5km/hr & half fast walking at 5.5km/hr. 10 minutes cross-trainer, 10 minutes bike, 8 minutes recumbant bike. Rest is weights.
  • desssssss
    desssssss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend the elliptical! I do 45 minutes a day and I've lost 16 pounds in 15 days!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 kg & do 15 minutes treadmill - half running at 9.5km/hr & half fast walking at 5.5km/hr. 10 minutes cross-trainer, 10 minutes bike, 8 minutes recumbant bike. Rest is weights.

have you tried putting that into your MFP diary?
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Personally I only enter in my cardio exercise. I do not add strength training. That way, if MFP or the cardio machine overestimates the amount of calories I burn (which it often does), and I eat back some or all of those calories, well at least I don't eat back my strength training calories.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    desssssss wrote: »
    I recommend the elliptical! I do 45 minutes a day and I've lost 16 pounds in 15 days!

No way unless you pretty much quit eating also.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Still not enough data. Your height, weight, age, gender, hormones.....way too many factors to get an "accurate" number.

Even if we know the speed, the weight, etc....just how hard was that workout for you?
  • EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Assume 0 calories burned from weightlifting. I know it sounds stupid, and it feels like you're burning a lot, but it's mostly just CNS stress.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Still not enough data. Your height, weight, age, gender, hormones.....way too many factors to get an "accurate" number.

Even if we know the speed, the weight, etc....just how hard was that workout for you?

How do calorie burns differ with height, age, gender and hormones?
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    For strength training I found this formula and it seems to be working. (weight) x (minutes spent lifting) x (0.021-0.029 depending on your intensity) so for me yesterday I did back and bis for 30 minutes, I weigh 140 and I gave about 70% effort 140x30=4200x0.023 =96.6 calories burned.
  • attempting9
    attempting9 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    do runtastic apps squat/push-up/sit-up overestimate calories burnt?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,891 Member
    Options
    For the cardio, you can improve your estimates by using the machine's calorie burn (not perfect, probably better than MFP's, especially if the machine lets you specific age/weight) or a heart rate monitor (not hugely expensive, just get a decent quality one with few features - but including custom calorie burn). But heart rate monitor will over-rate weight lifting, IME. (I don't have a better formula.)
  • lamurano
    lamurano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Agreed with 2 posters above. Just use the calorie count on your machine, and don't add anything for weight training.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It is possible to make a guesstimate, but I would have little confidence in it as not enough information is provided. the three things you need to know are weight, duration and intensity. You are on the way to providing the first two, but without knowing how hard you are working then its of little use.

Most people pit 1 or zero calories for resistance work.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I'm 61 kg & do 15 minutes treadmill - half running at 9.5km/hr & half fast walking at 5.5km/hr.

Well, that part is about 65 calories. So call it 240-ish calories for the hour as an upper limit.