flexible

Options
What are some good ways to become more flexible. Whether it is stretches or exercises. Open to any suggestions. Thanks

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Start with an IRL class so the teacher can correct your form. Proper alignment is really important.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Yoga. Start with an IRL class so the teacher can correct your form. Proper alignment is really important.

+1 I would suggest going to a yoga studio and not just "gym" yoga. Once you have the basics you can branch out to dvd's, youtube, instagram whatever.

Also look up Kelly Starrett and The WOD Doc. They are both PhD PT"s that specialize in functional mobility and flexibility.

Last thing, strap in for the long haul. Unless you were naturally flexible most of your life, this is going to be a long journey.
  • zacherytague
    zacherytague Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for being stereotypical but, I thought yoga was for girls like some secret exercises for them, because unfortunately when I heard about it. It was like forbidden for guys to do. What's an IRL class?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    What's an IRL class?

In real life.
  • zacherytague
    Options
    Okay thanks for all the tips. I will look into what they have around where I live.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for being stereotypical but, I thought yoga was for girls like some secret exercises for them, because unfortunately when I heard about it. It was like forbidden for guys to do. What's an IRL class?

Well that is just total stereotypical bs.
    It is an exercise form that has a focus on stretching and flexibility. I would suggest going to google and looking up some real information.
    Even wikipedia would be a good place to start. Also, it is certainly not easy.

As to IRL, it stands for: in real life
    So a class with an instructor you can attend.

• XavierNusum
    Options

Wow, please let me squash that right now!!

I'm 260lbs, bench 300lbs, squat 435lbs and dead-lift 505lbs so I lift bro. I also do yoga almost everyday.
  • zacherytague
    Options
    Thank you for being patient and understanding with me. As I learn the truth about yoga.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Flexibility is largely genetic, but it's a "use it or lose it" kind of thing. So don't compare yourself to anyone else in the yoga class. Compare yourself to yesterday's you, or last week's you, or last month's you.

If you take a yoga class, you will increase your flexibility. There are different styles and every teacher is different, so it'll take some trial & error to find the class(es) that work for you.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hugh Jackman does yoga, doesn't get any more masculine :)
  • zacherytague
    Options
    OK thanks for the tips. Also what about Pilates as well.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    What about Pilates as well.

Definitely try them both, but Pilates is more about strength than flexibility.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    What about Pilates as well.

Definitely try them both, but Pilates is more about strength than flexibility.

This, pilates is great for strength, especially core. Doing Pilates on the large machines in a studio focuses more on flexibility.