Dinner help!

Options
I struggle with eating better. I constantly am falling off the wagon because of it. Hardest thing is I've never been a cook. I also need to cook for my hubby and daughter. What dinners do you all do? Is there a website as your go to for low cal or low carb meals recipes? What are your favorites to make for the family that you still can enjoy while trying to loose weight? Thanks!!

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    My husband eat most everything we did before but, smaller portions. Allrecipes.com has boatloads of recipes of all kinds. I have seen lots of ppl say skinnytaste.com
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Make vegetables and lean protein a priority. Use homemade sauces or marinades. Try different veggies in different ways - seasonal and local are abundant now. Everything after that is just filler.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Some lower calorie recipe sites I like: eatingwell.com, skinnytaste.com, allrecipes.com, food.com, foodnetwork.com

All of those are exclusively low calorie or low carb, but they all have sections that are.

But mostly I don't use recipes. Stir fry is a quick and easy go-to that we make a lot. We also bake/roast a lot of food - chicken, fish, almost any non-leafy vegetable. Or pan sear the meat and roast or saute vegetables.

If you don't already have one a slow cooker can be a great investment, and the internet is full of great recipes.
  • Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My two favourite cookbooks and websites are: skinnytaste.com and The Looney Spoons!

They are great, easy, delicious "favourites" just lightened up.

I look through both books or online and make my grocery list for the week.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I use emeals for dinner planning. There are other programs like it too, but I haven't really tried them because emeals seems to be the only one that really plans out the weekly menu to use up the whole bag of lettuce it puts on your shopping list. They have a bunch of different options and have menus for 2 or 4 people. I've used the vegetarian, slow-cooker, "clean" eating (which was our favorite) and now I'm using the diabetic one. There's at least double that number of choices including paleo, budget, and more than one for lower calories. There's almost always a groupon you can find to use for cutting the price down too.

No, I don't work for them. I promise.
  • melanie_a_h
    melanie_a_h Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!!! I'll look into some of those websites! I generally make a meat and vegetable and filler( for the hubby and daughter) but would like some new recipes. Thanks!