White Bean "Alfredo" Sauce

Options
I tried out a new recipe last night and it turned out so well I just had to share it. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not the type to constantly substitute "good" foods for "bad" foods (ala cauliflower EVERYTHING). My boyfriend and I make room in our diet for whatever we crave, and no foods are off-limits. We are, however, trying to incorporate more beans and legumes into our diet and this seemed like a yummy way! I don't have any pictures though, sorry... We gobbled it all up too quickly. ;)

White Bean "Alfredo" Sauce

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup of diced white onion
2 cups of white beans, cooked (canned and drained, or home prepared)
1 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (Your choice - I used a mix of Parmesan and marble)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1) in a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until fragrant.
2) Add the beans and stir to coat.
3) Add the skim milk, cheese, paprika, and onion powder. Simmer while stirring for about 5 minutes.
4) Blend the mixture until smooth. (Either transfer it to a standing blender, or use an immersion blender. Personally, I think an immersion blender is way easier.)
5) Return mixture to the saucepan (if you used a standing blender) and allow it to reheat.
6) Salt and pepper to taste.

We served this over whole grain pasta and green beans. It is very filling, so beware that your eyes may be bigger than your stomach! We made a double batch and froze the rest for later use.

One Note: Once the mixture cools down, it thickens to more of a paste than a sauce. When I do this again I will reserve 1 cup of the water from boiling the beans and add it in as needed to thin the sauce out, or add more milk.

And that's it! My boyfriend was AMAZED, and asked that we put this recipe into our regular rotation. I hope you like it. :)

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've done this before, but not with the cheese. I used a whole bulb of roasted garlic. YUM! Great recipe!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. My goal is high fiber so I'm always happy to try new bean recipes.
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    a whole bulb of roasted garlic

GENIUS.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Speaking of cauliflower, it also works with pureed cauliflower :)
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I've got a batch of cauliflower alfredo coming soon, but the white bean alfredo seems like a great idea too. Love beans but don't cook the white ones often. Seems like they'd lend themselves to it, being mild flavored and kinda creamy to start with.
    Thanks again. :)
  • slowrollem
    slowrollem Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! That sounds yummy!
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thank you for this, I'll be trying this soon.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy what a good idea...did it have a grainy texture from the beans or were you able to get it pretty smooth?
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It still has a slight texture to it, not as impeccably smooth as true alfredo. If the "graininess" of it might be an issue for you, a standing blender would probably work better in smoothing it out. Still, it's not too bad. It certainly didn't distract from the flavour for us!
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bumping