Whey/casein free protein powder recommendations?

Options
Hi guys! I just recently started strength training and I've been looking into protein powders to make it easier to get some protein in after the gym in the morning. Problem is, I'm lactose intolerant and SUPER sensitive to whey and casein. Anyone here use a whey/casein free protein that they would recommend? I'm looking for something that blends pretty well and doesn't taste awful. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :)

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    The only one my wife likes is MP Combat powder cookie n cream. Tastes like a milkshake to me. I use it on the weekends but normally I just use ON chocolate.
  • ashleypetrie4
    ashleypetrie4 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The only one my wife likes is MP Combat powder cookie n cream. Tastes like a milkshake to me. I use it on the weekends but normally I just use ON chocolate.

Thank you for your response, but I'm almost certain those are both whey-based protein powders.
  • greg88rosen
    greg88rosen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would recommend dymatize casein before bed
    This breaks down easily unlike most casein which can clump up, tastes pretty decent and it's a good overall brand. I take it myself

If you're looking for something that is a bit more sensitive then I would turn to Jamie Eason - lean body for her. This is a good overall protein as well and is lactose free

Hope this helps :)
  • piperdown44
    Options

Thank you for your response, but I'm almost certain those are both whey-based protein powders.

Sorry about that.
    Try this link for whey free protein powders
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/10-best-tasting-vegan-protein-powders.html

• ashleypetrie4
    Options
    Thank you both so much!
  • akashsingh2710
    akashsingh2710 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello ashley,

Just saw your query, i had the same problem. I am lactose tolerant too.
    Someone suggested me to take Egg protein powder, i took that. And trust me it worked pretty well.
    Dont know if it is available in your country or not..!
  • ashleypetrie4
    Options
    Funny coincidence, my friend mentioned egg protein to me just today when we were talking about protein powders! How was the taste and mixability of the egg protein?

He recommended the ON 100% Egg Protein Powder. I might give it a try.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have issues with gluten and soy, so it was hard to find anything that was clear of both. Even the Vega ones were horrible. They can call them gluten free, but my stomach says they are filthy liars.

I use Heartland Brown Rice Protein. It is free of all allergens and no extra ingredients if you get the plain one. The vanilla has a little stevia in it. I won't lie, it is on the grainy side so, so I wouldn't have it alone.... but mixed in a shake with fruit and such it is not really noticeable.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My fave : http://progressivenutritional.com/vegessential/

I think it will fit your needs.
  • piperdown44
    Options
    Funny coincidence, my friend mentioned egg protein to me just today when we were talking about protein powders! How was the taste and mixability of the egg protein?

He recommended the ON 100% Egg Protein Powder. I might give it a try.

ON is one of the best companies out there for protein and flavor.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I've tried about a dozen non-dairy protein powders and the only one I didn't find gritty and unpleasant was the ON 100% Soy.