Fitness Trackers (opinions wanted)

Options
Okay so I am looking into getting a fitness tracker. I have inquired from friends and family. My sis has a Garmin, she says she loves it. I just wanted feedback from you all, about which t kind you have, price, overall use, pros and cons. Here is the features I desire:

Daily Activities
Steps
Calories
Sleep
Clock
Sync, with MFP
Water resistant

Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Polar A300 meets all your requirements. However it relies on a chest-strap for heart-rate data, and does not gather heart rate data 24/7. The polar A300 (with HR7 chest strap) can give you real-time heart rate data while swimming (and later upload it).

A fitbit HR does all of the above plus gathers heart rate data 24/7, but is not waterproof. The fitbit HR is water resistant--you can wash your hands with it on but not swim with it.

Withings has just come out with a swim-tracker, but it has an MSRP of >$400.

Fitbit are the most popular activity monitor among non-swimmers. I think Polar is most popular among swimmers but I haven't actually seen pop-tech-articles to verify that.
  • Christinith77
    Christinith77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think they're a waste of money. You can get a Pacer app that does almost all of that for free.
  • PolarSyre
    PolarSyre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Garmin vivosmart, just got mine and it keeps me thinking about my steps for the day. Has everything you mentioned mine was about 140$ or so with shipping and handling. I love it and it's very accurate.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Pacer app can't track sleep unless you sleep with your phone...

• zacherytague
    zacherytague Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!!
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have the Polar V800, they are available on Amazon for around $350 with H7 chest strap. It meets most of your requirements, all if you have an Apple product. What are you planning on using it for. As for as accuracy for calories, nothing is going to be 100% accurate, but it's as close as most of the charts everyone recommends. Fitbits are okay if you just want something for daily activity, but if you exercise and do a lot of cardio, something with a chest strap would be better.

Pro's
    Has gymlink to connect to most cardio equipment
    Has sports profiles for almost all activity
    Charge last 2 to 3 weeks,
    Able to read heart rate in water
    Water proof to 100ft

Cons
    It's arm based pedometer, doesn't pick up all my steps on the elliptical, or when pushing things. but since I'm using my heart rate to track when I'm exercising, that's a minimal problem

• out2pla
    out2pla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The new garmin vivosmart!!!
  • Christinith77
    Christinith77 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Pacer app can't track sleep unless you sleep with your phone...

Hence the "almost all" in my reply.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What does the Garmin vivas smart count and how long is the battery life. I find my Fitbit does not last the week and always needs recharging at the most inconvenient times. Thanks for your comments in advance. PS does it count motion or arm movements like the Fitbit.

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I had a Jawbone Up 2 (no heart rate, but 3 does). I would not recommend it because it is "touch" sensitive and I found myself having to slap it to change modes or it would change modes accidentally. Infuriating. I sent it back!