Weight Loss/Birth Control

Options
Ok, since most of us gals on here are weight conscience...(hate to assume but it is a fitness site)
I'm searching for a birth control method that isn't going to ruin everything I'm trying to accomplish...

Im 28 yrs old, don't smoke, and hate taking pills. :sad: Not looking to have anymore kids anytime soon, maybe 5 years or so, if the good Lord's wililng.

And since sex is considered a form of exercise...I'm not going to pass it up (that makes me sound horrible, but my bf appreciates it :smooched: LOL)

Any suggestions, any SUCCESS with not gaining weight while on BC, I guess is really what I'm asking for.

Replies

• LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    (TMI ahead!)

I'm on Nuvaring and I noticed that when I stopped taking it (i've since gone back on it), i actually GAINED weight. So I think Nuvaring actually may help with weight loss! And i'm like you, i HATE taking pills.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain weight on Mirena, but I couldn't chase it away with a stick either. I tried damned hard and lost about 23 pounds in 6 months. Since I've been off it (1 month) I have lost serious inches and 3lbs.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I DID put on weight (about 5 pounds) when I initially began to take birth control, but I also was not exercising regularly at that time.....If it helps at all, I've managed to lose that five pounds, AND five more, all while still taking the Pill, now that I've begun a regular exercise routine....
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Well, during the short period of time I had health insurance I was on Joleesa which is the generic form of Seasonique (that may be spelled wrong) and I actually lost weight on it....not much but a bit. Plus it's the sort of pill where you only get TOM 4 times a year (soooooo amazing!!!!) so you don't have to worry about that monthly 2-3 pound influx.
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am on Ocella, the generic form of Yasmin & find that it actually helps me regulate my weight, not lose but maintain it better.
  • rhapsody527
    Options
    I am using the Paraguard IUD, and have not had any issues with weigh gain. My doc said since it is non hormonal, it should not cause weight gain. It is effective for up to 10 years, but I have heard it can make your periods longer/more painful. (I haven't experienced this myself because I am breastfeeding and haven't had a period yet) GL!
  • Livie_Marie
    Options
    I've found the Nuvaring doesn't make you gain any weight in my personal experience on it, where as with birth control pills I experienced a weight gain it seemed even for being on something like Ortha Trycyclin in the low dose formula. Since it is just us girls here, it also seems to regulate TOM, shorten it, and I haven't experienced any additional mood swings either! I've always been a ravenous eater when TOM comes to visit so I can't say it's increased my appetite either, but it is nice not to have it altering your moods. I also have notice I don't break out/break out less too!
  • Michelle1026Lynn
    Options
    *Bump*

I have not been on birth control in about 2 years and am looking to get back on some form here soon myself, so I'm interested in the responses. I used Nuvaring previously when I was on birth control for 3 years or so and absolutely loved it. But at that time I was not trying to lose weight or watching my food intake and am not sure whether it had any impact on any weight gain/loss.

Today I have hit my 50 pound loss mark, and I'm leary of starting anything that may impede any continual weight loss, as I'm hoping to lose around another 40 pounds or so before my birthday in October.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Don't get the Depo shot!!! I got the shot and put on 10 lbs in 3 months, 1 injection lasts 3months. Anyway on the shot as long as you keep getting them, you won't have TOM at all which kinda bothered me... I was never able to lose those 10 lbs and ended up preggers about 2 years after getting the shot initially. I am now losing the baby weight and I am on the OrthoEvra Patch which I love. You put a patch on and forget about it for a week and change it out. If you want to have TOM you can by just not wearing a patch on the 4th week, if not you just continually change out to a new patch every week. The patch is about 1X1in and you can wear it on your arms, butt, or lower abdomen. I love mine!!
  • Zinzie182
    Zinzie182 Posts: 8
    Options
    I recently switched from Depo to LoEstrin 24, and like you I was very concerned about possible side effects. I knew that I no longer wanted to be getting the Depo shot; not because I had any negative side effects (I've lost 40 pounds since starting it, no skin problems, mood swings, etc) but because I was uncomfortable with the product itself and the unknown long-term effects. As much as I didn't want to, I ended up back on a daily pill. I tried the Nuvaring, but found it physically uncomfortable. Here's the most important thing to remember, though, when choosing a bc method- we are all made differently! Just because someone your age had x-side effect on x-birth control, doesn't mean you will, and vice-versa. You can do all the searching and asking around you like, but at the end of the day, the only way you'll know how it's going to effect YOU is to try it. Worst case scenario, you give it a month and then try something new. Best of luck with whatever you choose!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I did the Depo Shot, and woof, never ever ever ever ever (can't say enough evers) again.

@Livie_Marie, you are not alone, that TOM makes me a hungry hippo for lack of better example.

I've considered the NuvaRing, but the concept seems a lil off to me, just leaving it there...for so long.:blushing: I know that's how it works but yeah...TMI? lol
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    I have a copper IUD. No hormones, no pills to take, no fuss and its good for 5 years. It was quite painful to have it fitted, but I think I had a bad experience most women just say its uncomfortable. I still get periods as normal, they are just slightly heavier and a bit more crampy but I don't know if this is because I've had a baby or the IUD causing it as I had it fitted long before I started my periods again.
  • Livie_Marie
    Options
    @Farmer's_Daughter - I think that's the perfect phrase for me, hungry hippo. Even if I stock the house with all healthy things, I mean honestly how many apples, trail mix combinations, and oranges can a woman eat? What is in there, a vortex that opens once a month or something? It is a vortex that so fails, my tummy and thighs show me! LOL And as far as leaving it "there" I've never found it uncomfortable,and at least for me it's easier than remembering to take pills. I have problems remembering my vitamins in the morning some times!

@all ladies - Don't you just hate how we have to think about this stuff 24/7? Darn you men and you're simplicity!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I have just recently started on BC after almost 13 years due to my only remaining ovary being polycystic and swollen. So my doctor recommended the Nuvaring. I was concerned about weight gain since I read many reviews saying weight gain was a side effect. I've only been on it a week, but I have not noticed an increase in appetite. In fact I had some nausea going on the day after putting it in and then again on the 4th day. But since then I've felt fine. I can't remember to take pills either, so it was the best choice for me.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    I just had this talk with my doctor haha!
    Pills, according to him, are always the best option. However, since you've had kids I would assume that an IUD would be best - you won't gain weight or get pregnant :)
  • Jessrabb223
    Options
    Well I'm on lo loestrin and there's no weight gain at all I'm also still taking my diet pills so maybe that's why I still lose a pound a day....so whatever you try just stick to your diet and lower your sugar Intake
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I started Nuvaring about one week ago and I am swollen and a bit emotional. Hopefully it will go away soon.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    Weight gain isn't a side effect of the pill, is it?? I hadn't had TOM for 5 months and was put on Sprintec with orders to loose weight.. I've been on it for about 5 weeks now and have lost 14 pounds (just started trying to loose 2 weeks ago). But y'all are scaring me, is the pill going to sabotage my weight loss? I don't want or need BC. But I was put on it so I'd stay regular
  • thatalchemistgirl
    Options
    I've only ever had success with Mirena. I'm me I'm happy, and everythings awesome forever. I haven't put on a pound and the worst thing: Sporadic periods.