Sweet dreams are made of cheese..

Options
Who am I to dis-a-brie? Yes, I dream of cheese all the time! I know I don't need to completely cut off cheese from my diet but I've been thinking of trying vegan cheese. Has anyone tried it? Does it taste the same?

Replies

• scotchmalloh
    scotchmalloh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Most vegan cheese is horrible imo. It doesn't taste like cheese. It tastes like moldy chemicals. The only exception is Daiya, but even that doesn't really taste like cheese (although at least it melts).
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    This Wisconsinite says NO! Don't do it!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Good lord. Just say no to vegan cheese - so not worth it.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Some of it doesn't melt... There are some things that don't seem worth it to me.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie. I cheddar the world & the feta cheese. Everybody’s looking for Stilton… <3
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    NO, they don't compare. Unless you're the type that really thinks cauliflower pizza crust is the same as pizza dough.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I used Daiya (sp?) for a while when I had to eat dairy free. It melts okay and is fine cooked but uncooked, it is... not very good.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    aledba wrote: »
    Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie. I cheddar the world & the feta cheese. Everybody’s looking for Stilton… <3

A true poet. Love this!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you love cheese, don't do it to yourself.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    My dietician recommended "light" cheese because I eat a lot of cheese... I've found it easier to reduce cheese to a serving (one ounce)/day than eat that, and it's better than vegan cheese. If you want to melt it in/on something it's fine, but plain with crackers, even light cheese is kinda weird to my taste buds.
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love your tread title, made me giggle! So clever :) being a vegetarian I could never ever even think of cutting out cheese! First of all, I love it, all kinds, delicious! And secondly, I get a portion of my daily proteins from it :) cheese is something I work in to my calories and I don't think that will ever change for me lol.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options

FTW. No on the vegan cheese :(
  • firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    A friend pointed out to me recently that full fat cheese is more satisfying than reduced fat or "light" cheese. I tend to buy full fat now and just eat a little. It's much less frustrating than eating twice as much and still wanting more (cheaper too). Also, I only buy the stuff from the nice cheese area over by the deli these days. No more store brand fake cheese product from the dairy section - that has helped a lot too.
  • laconrad2013
    laconrad2013 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and I have tried all of the vegan cheeses. Chao cheese is the best, it makes a terrific grilled cheese and it is also good eaten on its own with crackers. There is no such thing as healthy cheese, a diet is healthier without cheese so I would just give it up. What we crave in cheese is the fat and salt. If you have ever tried fat free, salt free cheese it is the equivalent of a rubber super ball. It is not the dairy that we like about cheese. So that said, buy a high quality oil, such as California Olive Ranch extra virgin olive oil, and also buy a high quality sea salt and grinder. Use this wherever you might sprinkle cheese. All of my pizzas are now drizzled with olive oil and sea salt instead of cheese and my non=vegan teenage son prefers it that way now and he is a junk food junkie. You can also replace Parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast and ricotta with tofu mixed with a little olive oil. Bon apetite!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options

tumblr_lzyxoaycBE1r63jze.gif

• andrikosDE
    Options
    There is no such thing as healthy cheese, a diet is healthier without cheese so I would just give it up.

Wow. The truth has been spoken. Now i must stop seeking it.

What we crave in cheese is the fat and salt.

Please drink a nice tall glass of salted soybean oil. According to you, same thing.

You can also replace Parmesan cheese with nutritional yeast and ricotta with tofu mixed with a little olive oil.

You could. You can also replace a laptop with a rock and a chisel or a car with riding a triceratops.

I find it quite disturbing how people celebrate the restrictions they put on themselves as if they're true martyrs.

Cheese is life, cheese is art, cheese is gastronomy and enjoyment and passion.
    Please stop spray-painting the mona lisa and insisting that it's now improved.

• andrikosDE
    Options
    leonardo_da_vinci_mona_lisa_postcards-r5430830f1c55466184be649b5675e9f3_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

CHEESE

odd_ecce_homo_1.jpg

VEGAN CHEESE
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    leonardo_da_vinci_mona_lisa_postcards-r5430830f1c55466184be649b5675e9f3_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

CHEESE

odd_ecce_homo_1.jpg

VEGAN CHEESE

LOL.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

CHEESE

odd_ecce_homo_1.jpg

VEGAN CHEESE

Dying at both of your responses +1

OP, I personally have switched to eating more mozzarella than anything else. I slice one ounce and put it back in the fridge immediately. It's the only way.

Those 25-calorie hot pepper cheese wedges aren't bad. Not my favorite, but hits the spot when I want both cheese and crackers but don't have many calories left.