post food scale success stories

Options
bhanvi
bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
So I recently bought a food scale and realized why I didn't lose any weight for the past 2 months I thought I was eating 1200 calories.
I am looking for the success stories of people who saw results after buying a food scale and weren't seeing any before that.
Thank you.
Please mention the weight you lost and the time it took.Cheers!

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Hahaha seriously eye opening huh?

I was, "clean eating/ paleo," for over a year because I was told that if I ate clean I wouldn't have to worry about counting calories, or weighing anything.

I didn't understand why I wasn't losing so I decided to give MFP a try and I came on the forums and found I needed to invest in a scale. What a difference! I was probably eating 3000 calories a day when I was eating paleo/clean!

I lost 17 pounds in 4 months.... but then I went on 2 difference vacations without access to a scale so I haven't lost anything the last 2 months but now I'm back at it and weighing everything.
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Similar to ^^^. Primal, only I gained. Scale and measuring cups really help, until I could see the size and amounts of things. 30 pounds today, since February 14.
  • cashewsareyum
    cashewsareyum Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me , it was pasta. When I got the scale and started measuring pasta raw, I realized I was eating so much more than I had previously realized. It's also great for measuring chicken breasts because I never know how much of it I'm eating otherwise. My weight loss since has been quicker.
  • pariskathryn
    pariskathryn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Every time I think I no longer need the scale, I maintain until I go back to weighing and then quickly drop several pounds. I'm down 34 from my starting weight of 204.

I'll probably need to measure most of the time for the rest of my life to keep to the weight I like, but it doesn't take long for me to treat it like a habit.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Omfg I lost almost 3kgs the first week I had a scale. The amount of underestimating I was doing was unbelievable!
    I have always had trouble reaching 1200 calories. Until I bought my $9 scale from Kmart lol
    Best investment ever
  • Jilliankosto
    Jilliankosto Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I also have had great success with the food scale. It really gives you a visual of what common food portions look like and it is accurate! There are helpful posts and videos showing that if you rely on measuring cups you can be up to 20% off your calorie count or more! That certainly adds up as we all know and can make the difference between maintaining and losing, it did for me anyway. Also, there is a peace of mind that comes from weighing my food and knowing exactly how many calories I am eating whereas before I was really guessing to a certain extent. Also, they cost like ten bucks. It's pretty much a win win situation you won't have regrets!
  • Domineer
    Domineer Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »
    So I recently bought a food scale and realized why I didn't lose any weight for the past 2 months I thought I was eating 1200 calories.
    I am looking for the success stories of people who saw results after buying a food scale and weren't seeing any before that.
    Thank you.
    Please mention the weight you lost and the time it took.Cheers!

OP, this is right up my alley. Perfecting timing on this. On Jul 6, I picked up a beaker set and food scale from Target. I realized that I wasn't eating 1800 cals a day but more like 2400 a day with my eye ball technique. I have been weighing food and measuring dressings out and have cut 12-15lbs the past 4 or 5 weeks. No more bloatness or feeling insecure about my body. Lost a bunch of inches all over too. Fact is, the scale doesn't lie and if you use it right, it can be your best friend

• bhanvi
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your amazing stories.I wish you all happy and healthy life.
  • Ronni_16
    Ronni_16 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Big time user of the scale as well. Although I don't have a success story at this time to comment on...in the past it has helped me greatly. I have lost up to 30lbs just by using it.
    For example yesterday my bf cooked this rice...not really realizing the fat content in it. (it wasn't just your regular rice)..we measure out the serving size and was astounded how little really equaled the serving size calorie content!!We would have both put a lot more and assumed we were right (and added it in MFP).

It can be a bit cumbersome to measure out everything but it works!
  • bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I'm investing in a scale today. I'm on the 1200 calorie plan and I haven't seen the numbers I thought I would so it has to be in the diet.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    121 pounds gone!! ;)
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I just started using the one I bought months ago. I'm hoping to see a difference by month's end. Even though I've increased my activity, my weight loss has slowed quite a bit the last couple of months. I figured I'm eating more calories than I think, so it's time to weigh. I'm going to buy one to keep at work, as well because I don't always have time to meal prep and I figure it could come in handy when I get lunch from the salad bar in the cafeteria.

ETA: I recently adjusted my calorie count based on my TDEE after losing almost 50 pounds without the food scale. The difference was pretty significant, too! I feel I need to be more precise now because my eyeballing it is not working anymore.
  • bhanvi
    Options
    bellesb169 wrote: »
    Thanks for this post. I'm investing in a scale today. I'm on the 1200 calorie plan and I haven't seen the numbers I thought I would so it has to be in the diet.
    Good luck to you and yes the scale is going to make a big difference. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Three years ago when I bought my first food scale, I didn't have a lot to lose but couldn't get there. It really helped me realize how much I was eating and how to reduce my servings to keep within my calorie deficit. I was able to hit my goal weight, and I've been in maintenance for two years. Still using my food scale daily (on a new one now), I'll use it forever and keep logging.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just hit 100 pounds down and I was losing and gaining the same 5 lbs over and over and I bought a food scale about 7 or 8 months ago and it for SURE makes a huge difference. Easier to look at mathematically as well and with logging here and knowing im accurate by weighing EVERYTHING it has helped me lose over 60 lbs in 6 months. I used to read posts about weighing food and roll my eyes lol Now I weigh veggies, condiments, everything that I eat gets weighed!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!