Suggested workouts for beginners? Please

Options
I need to lose 80 more pounds. Any suggested workouts for beginners? Keep in mind I do wanna get to lose this as fast a possible! Thanks guys!

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Get your diet in order if you want to lose weight.

Suggested workout: Strong Lifts, NROLFW or Strong Curves
  • AngelChini
    AngelChini Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    When I first started out I heard a lot of people tell me to start out slow and do DVD workouts by Jillian Michaels. I have a bunch of DVDS and I did lose a lot of weight, but unfortunately couldn't keep up with a clean diet and gained back those pesky pounds. If you want to lose a lot of weight as fast as possible you need to have a clean diet along with a good exercise routine. I would suggest you watch 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. It's on YouTube and it's free! You don't need any equipment, and plus its 30 minutes long! It goes by fast! A lot of comments on there said they have lost so much from completing the 30 day workout routing, and most of them were beginners. You can also go jogging, since you are just starting out I would advise you don't immediately start jogging and work your way up slowly. Always do stretches before and after! Remember a healthy diet is essential to loosing weight! Good luck! (:
  • MCinBC
    MCinBC Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Intense cardio will always burn more than gym exercises. You can burn 1000cal per hours running while about 300-400 doing gym in the same hour. But since you are beginner, you need to get there step by step. I would suggest to make walks and do what you can to run within, maybe some 1 minute intervals and built from there?
    No matter what, exercises without proper eating would be useless. And diet without decent exercises would not get you the result expected or "as fast as possible".
    Have fun :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

^ I wish someone would have told me all this when I was first trying to lose weight.

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options

^ I wish someone would have told me all this when I was first trying to lose weight.
    Lacking a gym with a squat rack there are dumbell work outs also I feel so bad struggling with the 3 lb weights on my arms no upper body strength lol. There is also joining classes etc.
  • sarahgracehonsinger
    Options
    What I'm doing is running. My first goal was to run a mile without stopping. So I ran .13 mile, then I walked .12 mile, and alternates until I completed 1 mile. When that was comfortable, I ran .2 mile and walked .1 mile. I ran my first mile without stopping g last week, and that's the first hurtle. After that progress is quick. Now I can run 2 miles without stopping and burn around 350 calories a workout.

Also, building some muscle helps because muscles burns more calories than fat. Building muscle boosts your metabolism. I like working with Dumbbells (you can purchase 2 and do workouts really easy at home, and you can find arm workouts on spark people). I also like wall sits and planks because they're just easy to do. There's also strength-building yoga routines on YouTube you can try :). Do whatever works for you. If you hate it, you won't do it. But once you find something, commit and the weight will come off.
  • virgogardener
    virgogardener Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Walk...it's free and easy...bicycling...you set the pace
  • airjulz
    airjulz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise is so much fun. I like the Dance Mixx classes but there are interval, strike & stretch classes, too. All of the moves can be done low impact and all body types attend. I've been losing weight on low carb but wanted to make sure that I kept muscle.
  • prncssgigglefce
    prncssgigglefce Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone! :)
  • Siran12001
    Siran12001 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You could also look into startbodyweight.com . That website offers a full body workout bodyweight only. For every exercise there are progressions that allow you to start at the strength level you are at.
  • AnnaGies
    AnnaGies Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would definitely start with nutrition. What does your day to day exercise and nutrition look like now? I always make sure to get your recommended water in.
  • clairelizzy1972
    clairelizzy1972 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    airjulz wrote: »
    Jazzercise is so much fun. I like the Dance Mixx classes but there are interval, strike & stretch classes, too. All of the moves can be done low impact and all body types attend. I've been losing weight on low carb but wanted to make sure that I kept muscle.

Totally agree, I'm hooked on Jazzercise. I love the low impact classes (have plantar fasciitis) and strike, fusion, strength60. An hour is done before you know it and you sweat alot.
  • K757B
    K757B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Jessica Smith on Youtube has lots of beginner workouts ranging from walking in place to kick boxing & weights workouts.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing these:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    (I've now been doing cardio for 4 weeks to work up to being able to complete day 1, so my suggestion is to start with walking and build up to this program from there- using time intervals of walking and jogging worked well for me because I'm on a treadmill with an interval program)

http://www.building-muscle101.com/dumbbell_workout_beginner.html
    (I'm about 2 weeks into doing this whole sequence, and I just switched from doing it MWF to doing it Tues/Thurs and I'm doing better at it)