Beginner lifter

Options
marygoya91
marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi guys,
I recently started lifting about 2 weeks and half ago. Anyways, I've been doing different exercises but I've noticed that I can't lift very heavy! For example, I can only do 40lb on the lat machine. Also, when I reach the third set of a dumbbell curl, I can barely bring it back up and it's only 5 pounds! Overall, I've noticed I have very poor upper body strength. Does this happen to every one who's a beginner lifter?

I've also done some squats, but the highest I have done is with the iron grip barbell that's 30 pounds and the deadlift with 40 lbs. I think I can say I have a bit more strength in my lower body than upper. However, due to a condition, I was recommended to lower my weights to 20 pounds when performing any type of squat or deadlift. I know it's better to probably do this because I'm afraid my condition may get worse and I'll not be able to lift for several months. So I'm sticking to lighter weights but doing more reps. Can anyone tell me if I'll still see progress?

I'm worried that not lifting heavy and just doing more reps but lighter will just be a waste of time and will be discouraging to not to see results. Thanks, I appreciate all responses.

Btw:
I'm 5'5 and 112 pounds.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    HI:
    We were all beginners at some point in our lives. Like all new endeavours, take some time to make progress. I congratulate you for your decision to start lifting weights. It has been very helpful to me, in my healthy journey.
    It takes a while, though, How long ? It depends on each individual body. You have to eat healthy food (food is fuel for your body), rest appropriately, sleep well, drink water, etc.
    By the way, why have you posted at the MFP "Food and Nutrition" board ?. I suggest your query belongs to the "Fitness" MFP board
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • marygoya91
    marygoya91 Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your comment and advice! I'm glad to hear that lifting weights have been good for you. Yes, I reposted my post under "fitness" already haha thanks!
    HI:
    We were all beginners at some point in our lives. Like all new endeavours, take some time to make progress. I congratulate you for your decision to start lifting weights. It has been very helpful to me, in my healthy journey.
    It takes a while, though, How long ? It depends on each individual body. You have to eat healthy food (food is fuel for your body), rest appropriately, sleep well, drink water, etc.
    By the way, why have you posted at the MFP "Food and Nutrition" board ?. I suggest your query belongs to the "Fitness" MFP board
    Good luck in your healthy journey

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    have you had anyone show you how to do stuff? It's so important to get the technique right so you don't get injured. I don't see my PT often, but when I started lifting I saw her once a week until we'd gone through all the basics and she was happy to let me loose. Now I see her when my program gets changed and new exercises get put in that I haven't done before.

As for difference in body - yeah it depends on the body! I'm lucky (i suppose?) in that I muscle up quite quickly - but unlucky that I lose weight reaaaaallllllllyyy slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly. So for ages I still looked like a big person but it was all hard if you poked it. I have finally started dropping some weight and now the muscles are starting to show. It's been 6 months for me. No real visible (to me anyway) changes for a good 3 of them... PT reckoned I looked different though...
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    everyone starts somewhere, and you actually aren't that far off of the untrained standard.

As for lifting light. As long as you increase the intensity (start with 20lb and 10reps, increase to 25lb and 8reps and work your way back up to 10. Once you can do 3x10 increase the weight again by another 5lb), you'll make progress. But I wouldn't do that without talking with whoever said not to lift more than 20lb. I don't know what your condition is, but I wouldn't take anyone's lifting advise unless they knew what it was.

Also, are you just doing your own program or are you following one? Following an established program (Strong Lifts 5x5, Strong Curves, etc...) will give better results than winging it.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    everyone starts somewhere, and you actually aren't that far off of the untrained standard.

As for lifting light. As long as you increase the intensity (start with 20lb and 10reps, increase to 25lb and 8reps and work your way back up to 10. Once you can do 3x10 increase the weight again by another 5lb), you'll make progress. But I wouldn't do that without talking with whoever said not to lift more than 20lb. I don't know what your condition is, but I wouldn't take anyone's lifting advise unless they knew what it was.

Also, are you just doing your own program or are you following one? Following an established program (Strong Lifts 5x5, Strong Curves, etc...) will give better results than winging it.

This.

If you're trying to get stronger, you probably want to get off the lat machine and do some compound movements like squats, deadlifts, bench press, military press.