Anyone originally from the Caribbean?

Options
Just wondering if there are any Caribbean people out there (Barbados, Trinidad, Jamaica, St, Vincent etc). How are you figuring out your caloric intake with foods from home?

Replies

• TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Jamaica....here. :flowerforyou:
    It’s hard because I usually don’t cook with a recipe, but now I sort of take note of what I put in the food. Especially meat, then add it. Not always tho. :blushing: Most times I use the one that says “stew” this or that and call it a wash, lol.
  • iamacraftymama
    Options
    There is only one other person that is of Caribbean decent on MFP? Wow! Where my West Indian People at?
  • caylababe
    caylababe Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey, I'm of Jamaican decent. I'm currently in jamaica. I grew up in England but now in Jamaica. It's interesting as its hard to track food but I'm getting used to it.
  • caylababe
    Options
    Any other Caribbean peps?
  • cutiepie3207
    Options
    I'm currently in St Lucia..I am of St Lucian decent.I am finding it very difficult to measure everything i eat.Where i come from you basically had to cleant your plate ! So hard but i am gonna give it a try ! Nothing to lose but some weight..lol
  • caylababe
    Options
    So true. I'm starting to weigh, I was so surprised how much a cup of rice is. Weighing was such an eye opener. Especially rice lol
  • TTHdred
    Options
    I'm currently in St Lucia..I am of St Lucian decent.I am finding it very difficult to measure everything i eat.Where i come from you basically had to cleant your plate ! So hard but i am gonna give it a try ! Nothing to lose but some weight..lol

Man, I know the feeling. So hard to just walk away from food. :(
  • iamacraftymama
    Options
    Bump
  • SWEETNESS60
    SWEETNESS60 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am from Panama but I live in Brooklyn, N.Y. My family is a mixture from Jamaica, Barbados, even Chinese so I understand the "Clean your plate" syndrome, like everyone else said it is hard but worth it in the end!!!
  • gtdread
    gtdread Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm originally from Guyana. So far, I've found that "ox tail" was already in the database here, haven't checked other traditional Caribbean meals.

I don't like to "waste" food myself (if I eat it and store it as fat that I don't need, is it also "wasting" it? :)), so it's been hard to just leave stuff in the plate, but I used to leave some back and say I'd keep it for later. It kinda worked.
  • April1975MFP
    Options
    Hi, Jamaica here!:bigsmile: Living in NYC now.

The food has been challenging but what I do is list everything that I put in my food. So for rice and peas, I add the rice, peas and coconut milk. The peas and cocunut milk are rough estimates though.

When I found out how much calories was in oxtail and pig tail (thanks to google) I drastically cut that out. I also remove the skin from my chicken and add it in pieces plus the oil, etc. The good thing is I have it save in my food choices so I don't have to go looking for it each time.

I amhappy to meet more carribean people so feel free to add me (or I will add you).:laugh:
  • westindya
    westindya Posts: 4
    Options
    J'can here - I have managed "home" cooking by putting less on my plate and using a LOT more vegetables. That makes it easier to clean my plate. I also don't buy "normal" size plates (9 + inches). I have 7 inch plates or smaller. Once I realized how much calories is in rice, I bid it adieu. I would rather 250 calories worth of something else (sushi, curry, fruits)
  • howiam
    howiam Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all! I'm a Miami girl, but was definitely raised as an islander. My mother is Jamaican and my father is Bahamian. Although I already knew that white rice is pretty damaging to ones diet, I had no idea that rice and peas may be even worse. I’ve documented in my food diary the times I’ve had rice and peas as half a cup (praying more than assuming that the nutrition facts are based on uncooked rice). Can someone please clarify?! Are there truly 1020 calories in one cup :noway: of cooked rice and peas or is that based on uncooked rice?
  • Ciarn
    Ciarn Posts: 92
    Options
    I am from Jamaica but i live in New York now
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm Jamaican, living in England. Add me as friend pls
  • TTHdred
    Options
    Ok, so I forgot about this post. Glad it is still going.

Something else I found since I posted here. On My Recipes section, you can add your recipes. For example, I know a pot of rice and peas last me (I have no kids) about 4 servings when I make it. Then, you can add all the ingredients you put in it. And save it as rice and peas. Then you can just add “one serving” of rice and peas in your diary later. I already did it for oxtail, brown stew chicken, rice and peas and curry chicken. Ackee is in the database, so I plan to add ackee as well and dumplings. Ackee and saltfish is there as a recipe, but I prefer to list it how I make it, since everyone makes things different.

I have had to cut back on a lot of the Jamaican stuff cuz they have a lot of calories. But I have them there just in case. Or I try to make things “healthier” for example, I have rice and peas with or without coconut milk. Without coconut milk is not as tasty, but definitely better.
  • caylababe
    Options
    Im so glad this post is still going. Caribbean food can be so high in calories, so much is fried and we do love our carbs. Nearly every meal is with rice or dumplings. I am trying to substitute rice for salad, and i loved the tip about taking the skin off chicken too.
    If anyone has any nice recipes/substitutes let us know!!
  • okemawaltets
    okemawaltets Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm from Jamaica. Lost 45 pounds so far but i have plateaud. Need some more help :'(