what shoes do I get???

Options
I walk every morning for an hour and do crdio/circuit training 2 a week at the gym with a trainer.. is it true that one's gait changes while they lose weight? Trying to figure out if I drop 100 or more at fleet feet or not? I have 130 pounds to lose :\ I JUST started working out this week BTW

Replies

• morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I am not sure where you are. Here in Reno there is a company called Reno Running Company. They do a stride analysis for free that is amazing They put you in a neutral pair of shoes and film you running on a treadmill...the filming is done down at the level of your stride. Then they play it back for you. You can see how you...specifically you...walk or run. Do you ankles roll in? Out? Do you hit with your toe or your heel. Once that is done they go in back and bring out several different brands of several types of shoes for you to try on. You are not choosing on color or style but on fit. They have you try one of two different shoes on and walk, run around the store. Once you narrow it down you are back on the treadmill with the video running until you find the perfect fitting shoe. and yes, they said your gate will change as you loose weight.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I second going to a running store and getting sized and fitted by a professional based on the activity you are doing. This made a huge difference for me when I started taking circuit type workouts. Before that I just bought whatever was in my size and felt okay. We don't have a Fleet Feet here either but any running store should be able to help you. And I found when I was looking that some offered Yelp check in deals. And it doesn't hurt to just google for a coupon. Shoes can get pricey!
  • Havasufalls
    Havasufalls Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    jul_ohare wrote: »
    I am not sure where you are. Here in Reno there is a company called Reno Running Company. They do a stride analysis for free that is amazing They put you in a neutral pair of shoes and film you running on a treadmill...the filming is done down at the level of your stride. Then they play it back for you. You can see how you...specifically you...walk or run. Do you ankles roll in? Out? Do you hit with your toe or your heel. Once that is done they go in back and bring out several different brands of several types of shoes for you to try on. You are not choosing on color or style but on fit. They have you try one of two different shoes on and walk, run around the store. Once you narrow it down you are back on the treadmill with the video running until you find the perfect fitting shoe. and yes, they said your gate will change as you loose weight.

I live in sacramento-not to far! Ill check ot out-thanks!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Fleet Feet is a national chain of running stores. They'll do right by you and your feet. There's no reason to truck to Reno.

Your gait may or may not change; your wants and needs in a shoe may or may not change. What's important is that you get the right shoes for you NOW. :)

Yes, it's worth dropping $$$ at a running store for the return policy alone. If the shoes don't work out after you've tested them out for a couple weeks, you can exchange them for a different pair. You don't get this option from Amazon, DSW, etc.
  • herrenmeg
    herrenmeg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love working out and running in my Nike Roshes. They're about $85 which isn't bad at all. They're light weight and breathable.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Assuming you loose the weight safely (as in not too fast), your shoes will wear out before you meet your goal. I suggest investing now at a good shoe store and go back again in 6-8 months or whenever you are half way to your goal.
  • angeldreamer29
    angeldreamer29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well I personally like Nike Downshifters, but they don't move a lot, so if you like a flexible shoe then Nike Trainers are great.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Only buy a running shoe if you plan to become a runner. If you plan to lift weights as well or do crossfit, or even sticking with your circuit training then other types of footwear may be more suitable. For example, Nike Free TR's are cross trainers designed for running/gym/lifting workouts, and Reebok Nano's are specifically designed for crossfit/circuit style training.

Consider your needs before parting with your cash!