Working Out for Cheap

Options
I'm really, like really overweight. I'm fat as hell.

The thing is, I really want to change this. I'm sick of it. I'm trying to eat better and be more active, but I have no idea how to work out. I can't afford a gym membership so I don't have a lot of options. What are the best way to work out for cheap that isn't just walking? I'm really self-conscious so I'd rather be able to work out at home. Any recommendations?

Replies

• NicoleK31
    NicoleK31 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend trying Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. Here's why:
    - it's on youtube so it's FREE
    - you only need a yoga mat, 2 cans or hand weights (I use black beans) and running shoes
    - you see and feel a difference in 3 days

There are tons of reviews on the program and groups on MFP dedicated to people on it. Try reading through some 30DS posts to see if it may be something you'd be interested in.

Good luck!
  • VictorianFlower
    VictorianFlower Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! :)
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Aw, walking is great. I've actually been the thinnest in my life when all I was doing was walking, since it wasn't enough to make my appetite kick in but still gave me a good and easy-on-the-body workout.

But inside, yup, online fitness videos! You might be interested in the Walk Away the Pounds series, some of which are on YouTube (and are not just "walking in place in your bedroom). Fitnessblender.com has an entire horde of (free!) videos--you can pick type of workout, intensity, low versus high impact, duration, etc.

Netflix doesn't have fitness videos, but Amazon Prime has a decent enough selection if you subscribe to that.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, any movement (more than you were already) is better than no movement. So just try and do body weight exercises and challenge yourself (planks, pushups, lunges, squats, etc.). See what you can do max before pooping out or whatever amount of time you can do, and then up that by one or one minute (depending on if you were counting reps or time) each week. Walking from an extra far parking space WHENEVER you park somewhere (whether it's work, grocery store, post office, etc.). Things like this add up.

Eventually, when your body gets used to the body weight exercises and movement (which hopefully it will because you are getting fitter and healthier), you need to add in added resistance and weight train. Hopefully, you will be in a better place financially to get a gym membership by then. But this will take a while so no worries and keep on trucking and doing the right thing for yourself.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I agree. You Tube videos are numerous, and you can experiment with everything from yoga and Pilates to Richard Simmons. Also body weight exercises (with walking) is all I did the first 6 months I was losing weight. A gallon of milk makes an excellent weight for bicep curls or tricep presses. Do leg lifts while you do the dishes, squats when you fold laundry. I would put clothes away one item at a time, walking back and forth from the front room to the bedroom over and over and over again. Great way to get tons of steps in. Bring the groceries in one bag at at time, and park way far from the store's entrance. Use a basket instead of a cart. Every little bit helps :-)
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Free and fun:

www.youtube.com/user/BeFit
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Don't know where you're at, but in my neck of the woods, you can have a gym membership for what amounts to < $2/day, even when adding in the initial joining fees.

Many easy low cost/no cost ways to get cardio in the home ( see previous suggestions, basic calisthenics ). Much harder to do strength training long term, without an investment in equipment. Body weight exercises are great, but you have a built in resistance limit; eventually you will plateau unless you can increase the load.

Generally, to start out, you just need to spend more time moving, doing anything. Join the work softball team, go for a regular swim at the local public pool. In the home, spend 20 mins going up and down the stairs, pushing your furniture around in the living room, or doing yard work/gardening.

And, the 1st $20 you should spend on equipment is for a food scale, so you can accurately track your intake, and ensure you're eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I used to borrow videos from the library. They had a good selection and you can renew it if you like or return if you don't. Sometimes on Amazon they'll have one in a series for under $10

Also if you have free Ondemand they have a lot of workout videos for free
  • SarahJurina
    SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @VictorianFlower I absolutely love fitnessblender.com. I used Jillian Michaels in the past, but I got bored of doing the same videos.

fitnessblender has free videos that are based on what level you choose (1-5) and you can do cardio or strength training. They have 400 videos so you can do a search, schedule them on your calendar and add them to a favorites list. All free!

Best of luck!
  • jaeisla
    jaeisla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can take a gym class at your local community college. It's alot cheaper than a gym membership. I did that years ago and it helped alot. Unfortunately after the semester was over I was back to my old habits. Now I'm doing Youtube like everyone suggested. I'm doing mostly calisthenics because I don't have alot of weights at home. I'm also walking 2-4x a week. Good luck on your journey.
  • melholmes80
    melholmes80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm really, like really overweight. I'm fat as hell.

The thing is, I really want to change this. I'm sick of it. I'm trying to eat better and be more active, but I have no idea how to work out. I can't afford a gym membership so I don't have a lot of options. What are the best way to work out for cheap that isn't just walking? I'm really self-conscious so I'd rather be able to work out at home. Any recommendations?

Walk, it's easy, you don't have to be coordinated, and it's free. I started walking 3-5 days a week for about 30 minutes and I've lost 48lbs since the end of April when I started. I don't have the coordination to go exercise videos so I got easily discouraged, but getting outside with some good music in my ears was a great way to loose a ton of weight (paired with eating well) and it's only cost me a new pair of shoes. Good luck!