scale says one thing but body says another

Options
Hello everybody. First off I just want to say what I am about to say what is going on is no I am not making this up. So I started my journey on MFP to lose weight. So far I am about 20 lbs lost (according to my scale) but my body doesn't look like I am losing any and its making feel bad emotionally...I get so happy because the scale says I am losing but yet my body doesn't look it. I would have thought around 20 I would have started to see a difference by now. I don't know what to do. I have cut back on food as much as I can think of. I always eat around 1,150-1,400ish calories a day but I am always closer to 1,200ish. I am always under my fat but will admit on somedays I am close to the amount I should be eating is 95% of the time I have alot of fat left in my food diary that I don't eat (according to MFP). I don't know what else to do and I have tried everything. Has this ever happened to anybody else?

Thanks

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Wait it out.

Keep doing what you did. It got you 20. It'll get you more. It'll get you where you want to be.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Measure your hips, thighs, waist and chest and as the scale number goes down see of you've dropped any inches.
    If the scale says that you are losing weight then there should be no problem. To tell you to eat less then you currently are would be terrible advice.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 20!! Our bodies do t always look the way we think they shpd. Sometimes better, sometimes worse. Keep doing what yr doing and u will see changes.
  • amandapanda932011
    amandapanda932011 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody for the advice....I'll continue what I'm doing and hope I will see some results
  • BrianaDuBois
    BrianaDuBois Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Keep going. You'll see a change. Reading the NSV thread in the success stories section always helped me to realize I was making small gains and changes were occurring, even if I didn't feel I looked different.
    One thing is for sure: if you stop now, you'll never see the change you want
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I hear you, Amanda! Do you still have more to lose? Start taking pictures of yourself. Every month, take pictures again, and compare. Then you will see a difference, I promise. Your eyes cannot detect the small day-to-day changes looking in the mirror, so over time you don't notice any difference.
  • sarasoto369
    sarasoto369 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats 20 lbs is a big accomplish!!! My situation is the opposite I'm losing inches in my waist,thigs,arms..but not losing weight at all...Keep doing great!!
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You just notice a difference since you lose weight so gradually that you don't notice a difference in size since you see yourself every day. It kind of like the opposite of how someone who hadn't seen you in a long time would think "Damn! She's lost a ton of weight!"

Take weekly pictures of yourself to compare. See how your clothes fit. Are your pants getting looser? If so, then your body shape is changing -- you just don't notice it happening.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It took me forever before I noticed any changes and was able to wear any smaller clothes. Like 50 lbs - but now I'm finally seeing some small changes and can wear some smaller clothes. Keep it up, you'll get there. Celebrate that 20 pounds!
  • katerinabowler
    katerinabowler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I first started to lose it took ages for me to drop a size. I was wearing my clothes far too tight! Once I'd dropped one size i dropped a new size every 12 lbs or so and it happened really fast.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Be patient. If you have still a lot to lose, it might take time for your mind to start registering the changes. 20 lbs is awesome, keep doign what you are doign and do not starve to lose faster.
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures. I have a hard time seeing any changes in the mirror, but pictures help me see the changes. Don't give up though. 20 pounds is fabulous! Great job!