Protein Shakes

Options
I was wondering what the best shake is? I got EAS Lean 15 vanilla cream. I have heard Shakology is really good but I really can not afford $140. I got the same amount of the EAS for $19. I can spend a little more but not $140. What do you drink? I dont want anything high in calories. I drink them for my breakfast and I am trying to loose weight. I eat lunch and dinner and I mix the shake with silk milk.n8kgkxc7h3hw.jpg

Replies

• karliebethell
    karliebethell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink Promasil Rivalus in chocolate. It's 25g of protein, 1g of sugar, and like 120 calories a serving. Its the only shake that I've liked so far.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I stopped regularly using supplements a while ago, but still do occasionally.

I like the EAS AdvantEdge Carb Control line. 17g protein, 2.5g net carbs for 100 calories. Its a pre-mixed, so it is more expensive, not sure its suitable for every day for the cost.

Shakeology isn't a protein supplement, its a meal replacement nutrition shake. That is why it is so much more expensive.

The 3 important factors for a protein supplement powder are:
    1) Is it drinkable
    2) Cost/gram of the protein
    3) Calories/gram of protein

Your current is 375g/$19.99/2500 for the container, or 15/$0.80/100 per recommended serving. Cost/gram is ~ 5.3 cents, and cal/gram ~6.6.

This brand : http://www.amazon.com/Six-Star-Nutrition-Chocolate-Packaging/dp/B002UNEGBE/ref=sr_1_5?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438880614&sr=1-5&keywords=protein+powder

is 570/$19.97/3230 for the container,or 30/$1.05/170 per recommended serving. But cost/gram is on ~ 3.5 cents, and cal/gram ~ 5.6.

Half serving of the latter is same protein as the former, for ~52.5 cents and 85 cals., a savings of 34% on cost, and 15% on calories.

So, if your looking to save a little more money, its one to try to see if you like the flavor(s) and consistency.

You can perform the same calcs based on nutrition labels for any brands you are considering.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Anything but shakeology. Just because something is expensive does not mean it is worthwhile. They just bank on people believing that it is.

I like Optimum Nutrition. It's about $30 for a tub, so $1/serving. I just know it's cheaper than some others, but not the cheapest. It's also 120 calories and 24g/protein a serving-so you could take a little less for the same macros as your current protein. Good taste and consistency-but you can prob find cheaper
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I drink the GNC Lean Shakes and Sunwarrior Clasic Raw vegan shakes.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I use mlo brand. Not all silk has sugar, I get the organic unsweetened plain soy. There are several other non-dairy milks that are available unsweetened(like almond and coconut). I also like the ready to drink eas advantEdge, so easy to take on the go.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    15g per scoop is pretty poor...

Get something which has more protein per scoop... i.e. Dymatize, ON, MyProtein, MTS.

• edrichardson13
    edrichardson13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    +1 for MyProtein Impact Diet Whey. About through my first bag and it seems pretty good. They've always got deals on if you go direct and the mix / taste is awesome.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Try a bariatric protein like Bariatric Advantage or Bariatric Fusion. High protein, but low carbs and calories. I prefer Bariatric Fusion for taste and consistency.
  • sallymelendez03
    sallymelendez03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new
  • sallymelendez03
    sallymelendez03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some one from hazleton
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    we buy bulk bag at Costco.
  • djdunne2012
    djdunne2012 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've tried various brands, including EAS Lean 15. I haven't been able to find one that I actually like. There's a distinct taste in all of the ones I've tried, so I stopped drinking them.
  • rundellh
    rundellh Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Looking for proteins that taste decent!
  • rundellh
    rundellh Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ........and don't have to have to add a lot of extras to hide the taste.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    rundellh wrote: »
    Oops....trying to figure out how to post

Stop reviving dead threads. Look at the date of the OP's post... now look at the current date.
  • M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    rundellh wrote: »
    Looking for proteins that taste decent!

taste is very subjective, you're going to have to find out for yourself how different flavors taste
  • ThankfulMom70
    ThankfulMom70 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 65 and want to lose 20 more pounds. Do you think adding extra protein will help with the sagging face and unhealthy appearance. I've lost 10 pounds and I feel better but I'm not sure I look better. You know. ..