Question for women who primarily strength train...

Options
I've been strength training just about 2 years now. The first year was solely with a trainer and I made some good progress. The last year I've been mostly maintaining, but I want to make more progress. I'm looking for tips/workouts suggestions to bring it up a notch and I don't want to waste my time with isolated exercises and cardio. Any good tips out there? I've got about an hour 3x a week, maybe a bit more.

Replies

• krbzyf
    krbzyf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    what do you normally do? machines or free weights? how many reps and sets?
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Is your goal to gain muscle mass, or endurance ect...?
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I want muscle, strength and shape, not so interested in endurance. I use primarily free weights, but do use the smith machine for my squats. Some days if I'm completely braindead I'll use a few of the machines, but I try to stay away from them.

I've been trying to lift heavy and do 3 sets of 10. With my squats I try to start higher (18-20) and add weight and lower reps with each set.
  • krbzyf
    krbzyf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would up your weight some and do two sets of 8 also superset it with another workout with a quick turn around. Also, incorporate something like cycling or yoga in your no training days.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a routine completely laid out for you, I would suggest "New Rules of Lifting for Women." My friend and I are doing these workouts now (this is my second go at this book, I got pregnant the first time I was doing it and had to give it up) and they are AWESOME!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did see that a group of people on this site are using it. I am curious about their results. I'll have to nose around a bit and pick up a copy I think.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would say start increasing your weight that you are lifting and maybe do some plyo exercises. I lift pretty heavy also and plyo exercises KILL me!!
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    Have you tried a body pump class?? i do this upto 3 times a week and other classes too like boxersize and i have noticed a big change in my arms and shoulders!!I do lift quite heavy in body pump tho esp in squats as this should always be your heavier weight! I do tend to stay away from the macines in the gym as they can allow ya to become lazy!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Up your weights and lower your sets. If you do one set at your heaviest weight max out between the 8 and 12 set you are good. Stick to one to two sets.