Ab workouts after pregnancy

Moms, how long did you wait after birth before doing traditional ab work outs? With my first I waited 3 months. Right now I'm 8 weeks. My doctor did not check them at my 5 week post pardum appt and I forgot to ask her to.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    See your doctor... instead of consulting people on the MFP forums.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Did your doctor tell you that you can resume normal activity? Do you have any more follow up appointments?
  • amandakatherine968
    amandakatherine968 Posts: 13 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Did your doctor tell you that you can resume normal activity? Do you have any more follow up appointments?

Yes, she did but did not check my abdominal muscles. I'm more curious as to when others resumed and felt up to it vs should I. I realize that everyone's body heals differently and you can't tell me if I am healed over a forum.
  • amandakatherine968
    See your doctor... instead of consulting people on the MFP forums.

The question was when other moms have, not whether I'm medically cleared to. But thanks for being concerned.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Go from your own personal history. The first time around, did you feel ok starting the ab workouts at 3 months? Probably best to wait it out. I don't think waiting another few weeks is detrimental. You can still do core work without getting too intense.
  • amandakatherine968
    I was cleared the first time at 1 month (and she actually checked that time), but I had heard such horror stories of women causing damage that I waited until 3 months. I've checked myself for a gap and think I am pretty well healed, but still nervous. I'm doing exercises for healing and just avoiding sit up and crunches. Just curious about other moms.