underactive thyroid

Options
i have yo-yo so often.. I did do very well but in November was ill with pneumonia and was on steriods which added loads of weight on.. then I find out my thyroid is underactive so this is going to be harder to do.. as losing weight will be slower and I also get extremely tired too.. im on meds and hoping that my levels will even out but getting it right is a long process. im hoping that by getting back on here with your support I can enhance that process and regain my health.. please feel free to add me.. thank you xxx

Replies

• kayfrancis35
    kayfrancis35 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Once your levels balance you will feel normal but I've always found being hypothyroidism hinders weightloss to a degree xx
  • Chezzie71
    Chezzie71 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was only diagnosed in may.. it was hidden amongst the symptoms of the pneumonia I had.. some days just getting out of bed is a challenge.. but im determined to get back on my feet even if its slow to start with xxx
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Thyroid meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Chezzie71
    Options
    Thanks for the link to sexy pants post.. Very well written and with sensible advice too... I'm on levethyroxine and still going through the on slaughter of test and scans to get my levels right... I am logging everything and weighing everything too... Like you I think it's the only way to do it...xxx
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I'm on levethyroxine and still going through the on slaughter of test and scans to get my levels right.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range. But I lost more slowly than most MFPers—so be patient!
  • Yrhyne
    Yrhyne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffer from hypothyroidism and no longer have a thyroid which makes weight loss almost impossible. The fact that I'm in my late 40's is an added hindrance. I walk about 5 miles every morning and do a rigorous gym workout some evenings. I stopped focusing on losing weight and concentrated on being healthy and I feel great. I had to start longing my daily meals and activity HONESTLY and push through the fatigue. I lose about 2 lbs a week, so far! On the days I can't workout I actually miss it. Relax and don't stress. Let your workouts and good eating habits become an everyday regime and it won't seem so hard! You'll get there!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating to go through that gradual process of getting to the right dosage!

But I'd hold out hope for the future, if you can hang on through the process.

I'm quite hypothyroid (now at one of the higher standard available dosages of levothyroxine), and am able to lose weight (30 pounds since mid-April). It is that case that as my body has changed, and I've needed a higher dose (several years after initially getting to the first right dosage), one way I know of the need is that I gain weight a little more easily, or lose it with a tiny bit more difficulty. But the longer-term dosage adjustments have been small ones, and quite quickly effective.

As long as I'm at the right dosage, losing weight is not a problem (any more than for anyone else - still gotta be a little compulsive about honest counting).
  • katyconn123
    katyconn123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi angelstar, I too have hypothyroidism, diagnosed 3 yrs ago now still trying to get my meds at the right level, on levothyrocine 125mg the now , having more good days than bad now I've lost 18lbs since Feb slow and steady I'm happy , be patient, log accurately and be honest mpg can help add me as a friend if you wish
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2000 and managed to put on ~75 lbs over time, largely due to lack of exercise and no clue how much I was eating. I started with MFP about a year ago and down > 50 lbs.

Build a relationship with your endocrinologist and be honest with them - would be very helpful to show them your activity in MFP. Doctors find it very helpful when you provide them with data.
  • Chezzie71
    Options
    thank you all for your comments.. im not alone.. I will push on and achieve.. It wont be easy getting exercise as im struggling with my lungs after the pneumonia... more tests and scans.. but im determined as I dont like where I am xx
  • JuliaJuliaBoBulia
    JuliaJuliaBoBulia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on Synthroid 125 and Cytomel 5. Watch your symptoms carefully and ask to get your levels checked more often if you don't feel right! That's one of the most important things that I've learned over the years. Good luck!