New Clothes...HELP!

Options
Recently I had a friend come over and help me clear out my closet after losing 43 pounds. A lot of my shirts look like sacks on me. I said good bye to a lot of clothes...many of them are shirts I have had a very long time. Anyways now I only have 5 or so nicer shirts and that is not a wardrobe. I have also (as my friend pointed out) no bright colors, patterns, etc. I never felt like I looked good in them so many of my shirts are gray, black and navy. Also very few of my shirts that remain stray from the basic tee or v neck.

I need advice from people who have dealt with this! I am not quite done with my weight loss but I need new clothes now. How do I create a new fashion identity? I want to dress like the adult I am. I no longer want to be mistaken for a high school student on the weekend when I am out and about running errands! I am married and I am almost 25 for goodness sakes. Also I don't have a lot of disposable funds right now so any ideas to save money would be wonderful :)

Replies

• laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Goodwill/thrift/consignment, Old Navy clearance, Kohl's sales, Ross or TJ Maxx might save you some cash.

As far as the new fashion identity, try shopping with a friend who has a look you like. They can lead you to the stores or websites they shop in and help pick things for you to try on. Maybe they have clothes they were planning to donate that you could wear temporarily, too. A clothing swap with friends of a similar size might give you more options.
  • KRocka1981
    KRocka1981 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My mom lost 85 pounds a few years ago. She was flying through clothing sizes. She shopped at thrift stores for the most part. Everything she found was super cute. She didn't keep a huge wardrobe. When she reached her goal, she did a major shopping trip to reward herself.
  • releberh
    releberh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you like them, dresses. That is what I mainly wear because I don't want to buy new shirts/pants till I'll be keeping them for a long time. Dresses I wore 20+ lbs ago still look great for the most part. I wear the majority of them with a stretchy belt.

I love target and jc Penney. Thrift/good will can be a good place if you have nice ones near you. I even got two dresses I really like from Walmart back in February.

If you plan on losing more weight, I personally would only buy a few pants/shirts.I bought several back in December when my baby was 3 months old. They are all too big now and I wish I hadn't bought all them.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Agree..Dresses. There's so much more play in size. I have a size Large (14ish) dress that I still wear...and I would gauge myself at a 8/10 now.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I go to higher end thrift shops and look for silk, cashmere, leather, 100% cotton. I end up being able to afford nicer things this way, and since the price is right I'll go out of my comfort zone a bit. Though the backless shorts/romper I bought for this summer was a little too far.
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    releberh wrote: »
    If you like them, dresses. That is what I mainly wear because I don't want to buy new shirts/pants till I'll be keeping them for a long time. Dresses I wore 20+ lbs ago still look great for the most part. I wear the majority of them with a stretchy belt

This!
  • RBracken34
    RBracken34 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Plus dresses can be altered later for a fraction of the price.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have now lost 45 pounds since the first part of March. I do thrift store and yard sale shopping. I purchase one inexpensive new outfit (clearance rack) in the next size lower as motivation. My big expenditures have been bras, I changed size almost every month.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Dresses and tights will take you far on a budget.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Goodwill or stores like Target.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,127 Member
    Options
    Target, Rivers, K-Mart and Salvos

Today, for example, is casual Friday and I'm wearing a pair of jeggings I picked up at Rivers for ... can't remember ... somewhere between $10 and $14. I didn't break the bank on them! They are a size that fits me now, and should work for a while yet because they are stretchy.

Last Friday I wore a pair of jeans I had just bought from Target for $10.

Most of the time, however, I wear skirts and leggings/tights. I've picked up several nice skirts from various places for anywhere from about $2 to $15. And leggings/tights are cheap and stretchy so they work for a variety of sizes.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    There is an online consignment store called Thred Up. They sell brand named products and tell you if they contain any problems such as tiny stains. I have purchased many items there for my daughter and everything has been cheap and in excellent condition. You can also sell them your lightly used items that no longer fit. Focus on purchasing the key pieces you would mainly wear such as pants, skirts, or basic tops. If you do purchased used, remember that they may be smaller than expected due to shrinkage.