All-purpose shoes for weak arches

Options
im on my feet all day for school or work or something and need something that can support my ankles and weak arches for when I start exercising with treadmill and the track. I don't have a lot of money to spend on shoes. Any good recommendations?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are in the US:

Running Warehouse is an online store with free shipping and a fantastic return-exchange policy: if you don't like the shoes, even if you've worn them out of the house, you can exchange them for up to 60 days. Free return shipping as well.

I went to their Sales Shoes selection and looked at support shoes. I wear either neutral or support/stability shoes, but sometimes I feel like shoes let my ankles collapse too far inward. I'm guessing that's the sensation you want to avoid? Of the sale shoes there, I'd recommend:
    New Balance 870
    Asics GT-1000 if it comes in your size
    New Balance 890 or 890v5
    *Maybe* the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. It's a neutral shoe and Mizuno shoes have a *very* distinctive feel that is very love-it-or-hate-it, but I think the Rider has really nice arch support.

Another very supportive option is the Skechers GoRun Ride. Very squishy/cushioned, cheap, but my GoRun Ride 4s wore out faster than other shoes I've used.
  • fittogroom
    fittogroom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are in the US:

Running Warehouse is an online store with free shipping and a fantastic return-exchange policy: if you don't like the shoes, even if you've worn them out of the house, you can exchange them for up to 60 days. Free return shipping as well.

I went to their Sales Shoes selection and looked at support shoes. I wear either neutral or support/stability shoes, but sometimes I feel like shoes let my ankles collapse too far inward. I'm guessing that's the sensation you want to avoid? Of the sale shoes there, I'd recommend:
    New Balance 870
    Asics GT-1000 if it comes in your size
    New Balance 890 or 890v5
    *Maybe* the Mizuno Wave Rider 17. It's a neutral shoe and Mizuno shoes have a *very* distinctive feel that is very love-it-or-hate-it, but I think the Rider has really nice arch support.

Another very supportive option is the Skechers GoRun Ride. Very squishy/cushioned, cheap, but my GoRun Ride 4s wore out faster than other shoes I've used.

I will look at that. I have a bad knee and chronic ankle sprains but running/walking is the only gym exercise I have motivation to do since they don't have punching bags. I need a shoe that will help with that and my bad arches. Thank you
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    In addition to supportive shoes, you should try to do some strengthening exercises for your feet and ankles. Therabands/resistance bands and toe/heel raises are good ways to start.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    In addition to supportive shoes, you should try to do some strengthening exercises for your feet and ankles. Therabands/resistance bands and toe/heel raises are good ways to start.

agreed
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You can also do exercises for your feet geared toward ballerinas, like 'writing the alphabet' with your foot in the air. I also like sketchers for my weak arches and bad ankles.
  • Tyke2410
    Tyke2410 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Have you considered speaking to a podiatrist? I had dreadful pain in my feet eventually diagnosed as collapsed arches. One pair of made to measure orthotic insoles later and I no longer have pain in my feet. I buy neutral running shoes so they don't interfere with the way my insoles work.
    Please be careful looking for shoes to alleviate your problem, you may end up exacerbating it!