looking for others with back problems who can't exercise

Options
Hi, I have growths in my spine. Before I started weight loss, I weighed 190 lbs at 5'9". At that weight, I could not walk more than five minutes without getting excruciating sciatic pain and back pain that kept me from walking. This pain was due to growths in my spine. Carrying extra weight exacerbated the problem. I now weigh 158 lbs and can walk for a long time without experiencing pain. I still have the growths as they are too wrapped up in the spinal cord to risk fixing, but are not fatal, just a pain. So, I want to get down to my ideal weight of 145lbs, but it is hard when you cannot really do anything but very low impact. (Yes, I tried the pool but too hard to drive to the aquacenter when I have kids at home, so very inconvenient). I just wanted to make some friends here with a similar situation so that we can support each other and share low low low impact exercise ideas. Thanks Annie

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post I suffer from chronic sciatica from herniated discs. It's good to hear how losing weight helped you and it has given me the incentive to do better! Swimming hurts but I can walk for about 45 minutes before my feet go numb from blood clots in my leg! I am going to start gentle yoga next week!
  • LiamGow
    LiamGow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • joebiescha
    joebiescha Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I too suffer from back problems all my life. I've already been to two back surgeries. After each one I gained and lost weight. I'm still fighting to lose weight from my second surgery and have another 43 lbs to go. I hate to say that I had topped the scales at 230 lbs. I know it messes with your mind and destroys your self esteem. I also suffered from depression so I know what you are going through. It's hard to be a happy camper when you are in pain the whole time. I guess it's all about baby steps. I too can use the support, so if you want please add me as a friend. Good luck and don't give up.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can do either gentle yoga or restorative. there is chair yoga too
    or you can youtube chair workouts.
  • curvycutevet
    curvycutevet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have back problems as well, I'm a disabled vet.
  • annieocean
    annieocean Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi, thank you all for responding to my post. I hope we can all find support here and reach our goals. :)
  • Bolibadale
    Bolibadale Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello I am 55 yrs old and I was born with a spinal deformity that makes it impossible for me to do much exercise or be on my feet. Knees hips and lower back all give me pain. The last few yrs I have gained some weight and the pain has gotten worse. Walking in the pool helps the back and hip pain but nothing for the weight. I am looking for a diet that work for those who can not able to exercise but need to loose weight any recommendations for a diet plan????

Take Care
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm limited to low impact exercise as well due to scoliosis. I'm in maintenance now but do strength training using machines instead of free weights, walk on the treadmill or outside, use the elliptical or a stationary bike. Feel free to add me.