Fruits and veggies that freeze good for smoothies?

Options
fittogroom
fittogroom Posts: 14 Member
so, college student here with full schedule. When classes start up in a week or so I'm looking at doing smoothies for breakfast. I've got protein powder stuff, slimrite from Kroger, but I need some things I can prep and bag so I can throw it together and in my little on the go blender cup. Also from Kroger. It's about 16-20oz I think. I mostly need veggie ideas, I do a lot of fruit, bananas, apples, strawberries blackberries all sorts because I know they freeze well. Thanks in advance. Recipes would be cool too.

Replies

• curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I like to add spinach and sometimes kale to mine. I know you can get frozen spinach. I've seen people add carrots in their smoothies as well. Also, I have added oatmeal or chia seeds to my smoothies to make them more filling.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this, but you could bake: squash/pumpkin, mushroom, aubergines, zucchini, peppers all in one pan (freeze and add to the smoothie and small amounts. That could you your lunch or a quick snack, until you get home. I definitely must try this myself.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    I have never tried this, but you could bake: squash/pumpkin, mushroom, aubergines, zucchini, peppers all in one pan (freeze and add to the smoothie and small amounts. That could you your lunch or a quick snack, until you get home. I definitely must try this myself.

Oh that's a good idea, kind of like homemade V8 juice.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    eggplant and zucchini will become mush in the freezer. Fine for smoothies-yucky for other use. I add charred red pepper to one today that was kind of bitter. Consider bitter green-collard, kale, mustard, turnip tops because they are so good at detoxing the body.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    Yes purchase any frozen fruit or veg packages to use. If you like your smoothie cold why not just grab a handfull of fruit/veg from the freezer and toss them in? Alternatively you could put your handful in the blender will the lid on and let it thaw overnight.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    I only have used fruit. Others use spinach. If you use an unsweetened fruit or veg, your smoothie will taste like it. That's why I sweetened mine this morning with red pepper. If your greens are raw you may need to chop them.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can purée your vegetables or fruits and freeze them in ice cube trays. Once frozen, put them in a freezer bag and add a few cubes every morning.
    Or you can do muffin tins with yogurt and fruit - freeze them and add a "muffin" everyday.
  • caroldavison332
    Options
    I would do the muffin tin. Who wants to mess with numerous ice cubes of fruit? I would also try popping them into the blender before bed to thaw all night.
  • savarnabanana
    savarnabanana Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit and some yoghurt/milk so that the end result is a smoothie which actually tastes like ice cream it's so good!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    eggplant and zucchini will become mush in the freezer. Fine for smoothies-yucky for other use. I add charred red pepper to one today that was kind of bitter. Consider bitter green-collard, kale, mustard, turnip tops because they are so good at detoxing the body.

There's no such thing as a food that can 'detox' the body. What 'toxins', anyway?? Your kidneys and liver do all the 'detoxing' your body needs.

OP, for fruits, anything with a high water content won't freeze well.
    The Do Not Freeze List
    • Vegetables: Celery, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, peppers (especially green), potatoes (especially raw), radishes, sprouts, salad greens
    • Fruit: Apples, grapefruit, grapes (unless you're planning on eating them frozen), lemons, limes, oranges (but DO freeze citrus zest!), watermelon.
    (from http://www.thekitchn.com/freezer-friendly-the-do-not-freeze-list-167949 )
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I would do the muffin tin. Who wants to mess with numerous ice cubes of fruit? I would also try popping them into the blender before bed to thaw all night.

I freeze my yogurt this way, then put two "cubes" of yogurt, fruit, kale into baggies.....in the morning dump a baggie, add some ice, add some almond milk - takes a minute compared to several minutes of opening all the different fruits and spooning out the yogurt. Gives me no excuses. I purchase fresh and freeze it, so far everything has been fine, it usually takes me about two weeks to go through what I've prepped and put in freezer, then I start over. bananas turn a funny color but taste fine, I peel them and put them in a bag so I don't have to mess with them. strawberries after I cut the green off, blueberries, mango, peach, spinach......