Help with Snack Time

Options
Im new to MFB and have been hanging in there so far with the exception of 1 thing - snacking. I am a big snacker and pre-MFP, I would supplement a whole meal for snacks. However I am making myself eat the 3 meals a day with snacks in between but I am struggling to find fulfilling snacks that don't leave me hungry. I sit at a computer for 8 hours and it is difficult to fight the overindulgence therefore I bring many 100 calorie or less snacks. Here is a list of things I bring to work for my morning and afternoon snacks: (I eat a variety of these items not all of them in one day)
-Low Fat Granola Bar
-Fruit
-Rice Krispy Treat
-Cheez-It 100 calorie packs
-Sun Chips 100 calorie packs
-Slim Fast Peanut Butter Crunch Bar
-Boiled Egg
-Kashi Cereal Bar

Any suggestions of some things I could try or perhaps what I should cut out?

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think the issue you are having with snacks is that your snacks are all carb-based (with the exception of the egg). Simple, processed carbs are very quickly digested and spike your blood sugar, then they shortly after crash it. So aim for more protein and fat in your snacks.

My common snacks:

-1 oz of almonds (around 160 calories)
    -1/2 cup of pistachios with shells (around 170 calories)
    -2 eggs (around 160 calories)
    -2 tablespoons of nut butter (around 200 calories)
    -3 oz baby carrots with 2T hummus (around 120 calories)
    -Wasa crisp with 1 ounce reduced fat cheese ( around 100 calories)
    -Non-fat Greek yogurt, 6-8oz (around 100-120 calories)
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You get a lot of snacking out of baby carrots. You can eat a ton of them for 50 calories, and the crunching and chewing helps you to feel satisfied. I find that a lot of the 100 calorie packs leave me just wanting more so I try to find things that have a nutritional punch. :-) I don't know if you like walnuts or almonds or not, but they're very good for you and have been shown to help control appetite and contribute to weight loss. They're higher in calories, but the healthy fats in them help them to be more satisfying. :-)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Stay away from the carbs. The Fruit and Egg are fine. Try adding more protein to your meal so the snack isn't needed. Protein and fiber are what keep you fuller longer, they are a key to losing weight and building lean muscle.

Keep trying, You can do it!
  • sjkcarter
    sjkcarter Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of sruit and carrots, but I get so tired of eating the same things over and over again. Loving the tips!!!
  • jourkam28
    jourkam28 Posts: 19
    Options
    ok thanks for the response....I'm not really fond of many items you named ;-0 (another problem in itself0 but I will try a few
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    agreed!! I was going to say add a bit more fruit or nuts to your snacking. But that was already covered.

Good Luck!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My common snacks:

What is "nut butter"? I've been hearing that term a lot...
  • holmesbrandy
    Options
    I work at a desk for 8 hours daily too and I was struggling with feeling hungry or wanting to snack too. I started drinking more water and eating the special k proteing bars. I eat 1/2 for my a.m snack and if I feel hungry after lunch I eat the other half. I have a high protein/low carb lunch. This helps me feel fuller longer and avoid feeling sleepy after eating. Also, a b-complex caplet helps. Hope this helps you.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Between 100-120 Calories

100 Calorie popcorn bag
    Kozy Shack rice pudding snack
    Trader Joe's fruit frenzy pop (surprisingly filling for me)
    Little drumstick ice cream cone

Around 200 calories
    14 Trader Joe crackers and 2 TBS garlic hummus
    fajita size tortilla, 2 sl turkey breast, 1 sl light swiss, all the greens you want and dijon mustard
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My common snacks:

Peanut Butter...Almond Butter...Cashew Butter....Nutella
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My common snacks:

Peanut Butter...Almond Butter...Cashew Butter....Nutella

Gotcha...thanks. :)
  • delzfit
    delzfit Posts: 5
    Options
    One thing you have to do is change the behavior I was the same way and it was worse when I watched TV at night. Try some Bullion and chug a big glass of water the water fills you up. There will be a need for self-control (the hardest part) you can still snack just do it away from your desk to change the behavior.

Oh yes and whatever you do don’t carb up protean if your need an energy boost try some strong tea with honey or coffee no sugar. I like to eat a tea spoon of honey when I just must have something sweet it is thick and rich but your body uses it right away. But it can spike your blood sugar so dont do it often

HONEY, a most assimilable carbohydrate compound, is a singularly acceptable, practical and most effective aliment to generate heat, create and replace energy, and furthermore, to form certain tissues. Honey, besides, supplies the organism with substances for the formation of enzymes and other biological ferments to promote oxidation. It has distinct germicidal properties and in this respect greatly differs from milk which is an exceptionally good breeding-ground for bacteria. Honey is a most valuable food, which today is not sufficiently appreciated. Its frequent if not daily use is vitally important.
  • jourkam28
    Options
    One thing you have to do is change the behavior I was the same way and it was worse when I watched TV at night. Try some Bullion and chug a big glass of water the water fills you up. There will be a need for self-control (the hardest part) you can still snack just do it away from your desk to change the behavior.

Oh yes and whatever you do don’t carb up protean if your need an energy boost try some strong tea with honey or coffee no sugar. I like to eat a tea spoon of honey when I just must have something sweet it is thick and rich but your body uses it right away. But it can spike your blood sugar so dont do it often

HONEY, a most assimilable carbohydrate compound, is a singularly acceptable, practical and most effective aliment to generate heat, create and replace energy, and furthermore, to form certain tissues. Honey, besides, supplies the organism with substances for the formation of enzymes and other biological ferments to promote oxidation. It has distinct germicidal properties and in this respect greatly differs from milk which is an exceptionally good breeding-ground for bacteria. Honey is a most valuable food, which today is not sufficiently appreciated. Its frequent if not daily use is vitally important.

What is bad about increasing protein?
  • Now0rNever
    Now0rNever Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Snacking is fine..I stay active so I have to snack. I just try to make sure I choose better choices..sometimes I do have a cookie or a few chips, but over-doing it is where you fall off...

A tip I can give is when you snack, take your time, chew well, enjoy the food and always accompany it with water..that will help to feel you up even more...

Fix your snack...If you are going to have celery and peanut butter, fix a few stalks of celery and put peanut butter on them, eat them and let that be eat...instead of getting the whole bag of celery and the whole jar of peanut butter and taking it with you, that's how *we* tend to oversnack/ over eat...

Pretty soon, when you train your body to only eat what it needs, and at a certain time of the day, you will see how easily you are satisfied more, but it will take time so don't worry. So far it looks like you have made some great choices!

Your snacks look a lot like mine! I love the 90 calorie bars, and any granola for that matter, you seem to have some pretty good snacks so far..I would suggest, since it's hot:

~Frozen Grapes--they are delicious and taste like slushy when they are frozen

~Sugar Snap Peas [raw]-- a great way to get in veggies and they are sweet and crispy! you buy them where you buy salad already washed and you can eat straight from the fridge...very low calorie as well

~Apple Slices with a handful of raw almonds

~low fat graham cracker with reduced sugar peanut butter

~Fresh Celery Stalks with Peanut butter or Fat Free Ranch

~Pitted Cherries, are great this time of year

~the key is don't deprive yourself...eat to live, not live to eat...but if you get the taste for a not so healthy snack it's ok to have but not daily, also try half a serving, and not the whole thing..that's what I do sometimes! any thing else let me know!! happy shedding and you're definitely on the right track:)
  • froggie3716
    froggie3716 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is soup. Not the canned kind, but home made...just veggies and some chicken broth pureed. For example, broccoli, asparagus, garlic, and some chicken broth. Or some tomatos, cauliflower, and some beef broth. So yummy and the fiber helps keep me fuller longer.
  • Dianielle
    Dianielle Posts: 50
    Options
    In between time..lol I like granola bars 90-100 calories, strawberries, range depending on size, and I have to have my popcorn lol
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I sit at a desk all day as well. And I like to share healthy snacks with my hubby on the weekend.
    Here are some:

1. Low Sodium Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter
    2. Carrots and Peppers with Hummus.
    (If you don't like hummus, try a homemade dressing or low cal dressing. Point is to beef up on those veggies)
    3. Sliced Tomatoes with Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges
    4. Homemade Black Bean Dip
    5. Nuts, any kind. I Look for the healthier variety, low salt, etc.
    6. Yogurt ... maybe with some organic granola (This is really filling)
    7. Fruit and more Fruit. I love having a cup of dark berries at work. YUM!
    8. Homemade Pita Chips (You can put these in your dips)
    9. Apples and Cheese (a light string cheese moz.)

Good Luck! :smile:
  • jourkam28
    Options
    thanks all, for the helpful information
  • delzfit
    Options
    Think Rabbit Food :smile:
  • delzfit
    Options

What is bad about increasing protein?

That was a typo Protein is good but you need to make sure you are exercising and building a little muscle otherwise too much can increase uric acid in your joints and cause gout which is very, very painful.