Catcalls

Options
2»

Replies

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    Apparently I can add this to my list of reasons I am glad I am a man. I got a kick out of it. I think I'm gonna put it right below "peeing on the golf course in lots of places" ;)

You have no idea what a creepy and disgusting place the world can be if you're only just now adding it.

I was also 12 the first time I was catcalled, and 12 the first time an adult male tried to show me his junk in a store parking lot (a woman yelled at him and I didn't see it). Those aren't acts of flirtation, those are acts of terrorism.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think cat calling to a woman is crass and disrespectful. I wouldn't do such a thing. I think there are more respectful ways to pay a compliment to a lady.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    If you're a hetero guy, consider how you'd feel if a crowd of gay men cat called you. You might find your attitude about the whole thing changes.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    If you're a hetero guy, consider how you'd feel if a crowd of gay men cat called you. You might find your attitude about the whole thing changes.

And if this happened I would smack my own *kitten* and blow them a kiss. Chances are we would all laugh.

I'm not advocating old men (like me) catcalling women, just saying I found it amusing. It's been years since someone commented on my *kitten* and that was probebly my wife. Chill out people, I posted this in chit chat...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Chill out people, I posted this in chit chat...

duty_calls.png

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

And if this happened I would smack my own *kitten* and blow them a kiss. Chances are we would all laugh.

I'm not advocating old men (like me) catcalling women, just saying I found it amusing. It's been years since someone commented on my *kitten* and that was probebly my wife. Chill out people, I posted this in chit chat...
    No idea why you think I'm not calm. Heck, I'd generally be flattered to hear something besides a "run, forest, run" comment while running. However, you specifically asked why some people might not like this. I gave a framing that might help you think about it from a different perspective.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I have gotten into biking this year a little more seriously. Still only 10-15 miles at a time but getting out 3 or 4 times a week.

I was riding last evening and I heard a car behind me not passing when they could have. Uh oh. When they did pass it was 3 young women maybe in their 20's. One leaned out the window as they passed slowly and yelled, "Hey baby, you got a fine *kitten*!"

It's my understanding they some people don't care for this? Why the heck not??? It put a smile on my face the whole way home.

I'm a 47 year old guy and I know they were probably busting on me but I got a kick out of it anyway :D
    As well you should. Glad you could take it in stride instead of getting all bent out of shape over it. :smile: 47 year old men are sexay!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I am a woman & the worst comments, came from 2 different women @ 2 different times; telling me that "You need to be or get (I can't remember if their wording was be or get, that they said) raped." So that was shocking, especially after a luring attempt by 2 men in a van; when I was 8. Prior to those "rape" comments, I always thought that I had to just be cautious of men instead of women; not both.

I've had nice compliments from men, as an adult; that I appreciate but I've also had awful comments like "Hey baby, is that for sale?" & I've been followed by men as well.

The main problem with catcalls, isn't the comments themselves but that especially for women they often lead to physical sexual assaults and/or murder; if he dislikes the response or lack there of of whom he catcalled.

Whether especially a man compliments me, catcalls me or just walks by me, I remain cautious by watching his shadow after he passes me; to ensure that he isn't potentially sneaking up on me to attack. If I am walking along a road that doesn't have any traffic, I'll walk in the middle of the road; so that I am very visible especially to any security cameras in the area & won't be attacked by someone, hiding in a bush, behind a tree or building & be easily dragged away.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I've been followed twice by people hollering out their car at me. Once they went all the way to my street behind me and I went to a neighbor's house instead of my own because I was afraid of them knowing which house was mine.

That's the stuff that really creeps me out. Teenagers hollering something crass and driving by I can ignore.

Doesn't happen to me at all anymore in the neighborhood I live in now, thank goodness.

I also know people who've had stuff thrown at them along with the catcalls from cars. That's gotta suck.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Huh? You asked why we don't like it...we told you. No one is bent out of shape. You're making it more than it should be. :D I think it's reasonable that women don't like to be hollared at and followed or am I missing something? I can understand why a 47 yr old man wouldn't have to worry and find it funny when it happens to him. And yeah, you posted it in chit chat..Where else would you have posted it? You stumbled upon a touchy subject on accident.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I call my cat all the time ,,,,,,,,
    Little bugger never answers me !
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Wow where do you all live? I have people just say hi. maybe I'm not catcall worthy juat hello worthy
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Tigg_er wrote: »

Maybe he's tired of being treated like an object.
  • brokebutfun
    brokebutfun Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Its simple. A little attention is nice every now and again, but a lot especially when you are trying to get something done is annoying. Like everything else in life its best in moderation.
  • Tigg_er
    edited August 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Maybe he can move !
    I didn't say I kicked him I said I called him.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Maybe he can move !
    I didn't say I kicked him I said I called him.

:)
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    Them silly kitties ,, He does give me the evil eye though, lol
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Well, it doesn't really belong in the other forums, does it?

You asked why some people didn't like catcalls. You received answers. If I were in your shoes, I probably would have reacted as you did . . .but since I wasn't and you asked a question, I answered with my own experience. My fault for not realizing that it was just a humble brag thread.