Do you make your own dressings?

Options
Amandac6772
Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
I have tried to make my own but they just don't turn out very good. What are some of your recipes?

Replies

• bflicker11
    bflicker11 Posts: 296
    Options
    Love to see the responses. I have to go out to eat with my unit today to an Italian restaurant. I'm thinking of making my own dressing to bring to save calories.
  • sarahgolding
    Options
    I use Kraft extra light balsamic dressing....I know it's not home made but it very low in calories.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    I make a few, but would like to try something different, mine are;
    - olive oil, lemon, salt
    - mustard, olive oil, vinegar (any type), salt and pepper
    - 0% greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt), lemon, garlic, salt and pepper
  • heathercgreen
    Options
    I mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper - it's yum! x
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't make my own dressing, but I don't use dressing (I am allregic to most dressings). I normally use Red Wine Vinegar and I sprinkler my salads with basil, salt and pepper to taste. It is a great calorie saver. I am currently experimenting with other spices too.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Gotta keep my eye on this board, looking for less sodium ....:)
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    For a quick, easy dressing I mix a serving or two of roast capsicum hummus with some boiling water, add a little cold water to cool it, then drizzle over my salad - yum!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I make a few, but would like to try something different, mine are;
    - olive oil, lemon, salt
    - mustard, olive oil, vinegar (any type), salt and pepper
    - 0% greek yogurt (or any plain yogurt), lemon, garlic, salt and pepper

sounds great!
  • sarahgolding
    Options
    I mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper - it's yum! x

Sounds lovley.....i'm going to give that a try! x
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    My oil based dressings are are 3:1 oil and an acid or 2:1 depending on how thick I want it. So 1tbsp to 1tsp give or take a bit. Use the best oils you can afford. Favorite acids for me are Braggs apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar or if i add prickles to my salad a bit of pickle juice. Add herbs and seasonings to taste. Some people add a bit of agave nectar for sweetness. For a fruity dressing decrease the oil, use apple cider vinegar and some crushed berries. For creamy dressings reduce the oil and *kitten* a smashed yolk from a hard boiled egg, or use a bit of Greek yogurt, or a bit of smashed avocado.

Other options are using salsa instead of an oil based dressing or using hummus instead of oil based dressing.

It really is a matter of trial and error. I find using a fork or tiny whisk helps emulsify any oil based dressings.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

This ---> I do one part olive oil to 3 parts vinegar...I also add in fresh crushed garlic and a little bit of lemon juice.

Another good one is a pesto type dressing (green goddess) - same as above but red wine vinegar, also add tons of fresh basil leaves in and blend together until it is nice and green.
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

i do a variation of the same recipe: everything the same except i omit the S&P and add a swiggle of honey. (A "swiggle" by the way is dipping a fork into the honey and then swirl and wiggle it onto the olive oil mixture.)
  • froggie3716
    froggie3716 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar, Braggs, a Truvia packet, and a splash of olive oil.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Here's a website that has some various dressing recipes. You can fudge with the ingredients to make them less fat/cals if need be. http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Salad-Dressings/Detail.aspx