"Too much"?

Coffee?

I don't follow ...

This :)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    I have also always wondered about the cream thing! Are some people putting lumps of thick cream in coffee? Isn't that greasy? Does it float on top like a marshmallow? Do you use milk as well? I understand milk foam, but cream?

Clearly you've never looked closely in your dairy case. There are all different kinds of cream... heavy cream, light cream, half and half (half milk, half cream). All blend smoothly into coffee. I don't know what you could be thinking of that would be lumpy (ewww) and would float on top of the coffee, but it isn't cream that's used in coffee.

In Australia we only use milk, either cold or frothed. We don't even sell half and half and regular 35% cream does go gross in hot liquid, the fat gets oily.

Don't assume every country has the same products/styles of drinking coffee. To me, and most Australians and probably Britons, it's gross to put fatty cream in hot coffee.

Wow sure are speaking for a lot of people there lol... Maybe your cream sucks over there or maybe you've never heard of the awesomeness that is iced coffee... Don't assume every country has the same temperature/style of drinking coffee. To me, and most Americans and probably Canadians, it's gross to drink hot coffee. </s>.

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    coffee, coffee, coffee - I love my coffee !!! Hot coffee in the morning, iced coffee in the afternoon.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Considering that coffee itself is about 5 Calories per cup, I really don't see it as being a big contributor to weight gain. Of course if you go to Starbucks and order a venti caramel macchiato it could put you over your calorie goal for the day.

TL;DR
    CI/CO
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    hekla90 wrote: »
    I have also always wondered about the cream thing! Are some people putting lumps of thick cream in coffee? Isn't that greasy? Does it float on top like a marshmallow? Do you use milk as well? I understand milk foam, but cream?

Clearly you've never looked closely in your dairy case. There are all different kinds of cream... heavy cream, light cream, half and half (half milk, half cream). All blend smoothly into coffee. I don't know what you could be thinking of that would be lumpy (ewww) and would float on top of the coffee, but it isn't cream that's used in coffee.

In Australia we only use milk, either cold or frothed. We don't even sell half and half and regular 35% cream does go gross in hot liquid, the fat gets oily.

Don't assume every country has the same products/styles of drinking coffee. To me, and most Australians and probably Britons, it's gross to put fatty cream in hot coffee.

Wow sure are speaking for a lot of people there lol... Maybe your cream sucks over there or maybe you've never heard of the awesomeness that is iced coffee... Don't assume every country has the same temperature/style of drinking coffee. To me, and most Americans and probably Canadians, it's gross to drink hot coffee. </s>.

I'm so confused what would be lumpy too. Sour cream? Clotted cream? Anything that would be lumpy does sound disgusting. But any type of liquid cream is just YUMMY! But now I use unsweetened almond milk to use less calories.
  • jemlouise93
    jemlouise93 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone that has commented and given me an insight into coffee consumption. Think I'm going to stick with my 4 cups a day! And thanks to most of you for doing it in a supportive manner. Over the past few days I've seemed to have come across the rudest people so I really appreciate all the help you lot have given me! :)
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    jaqcan wrote: »

I'm so confused what would be lumpy too. Sour cream? Clotted cream? Anything that would be lumpy does sound disgusting. But any type of liquid cream is just YUMMY! But now I use unsweetened almond milk to use less calories.

Whipped cream would be lumpy, even though it would melt, it would still be weird at first. And it leaves behind an oily residue, I've tried it, when I first heard you guys put cream in your coffee, I tried, and it was gross, because 35% is what we call cream.

The lowest fat product I can think of is Lite Cream, and it's like maybe 18% (I don't have access to it anymore, so I can't be sure), then it cuts down to milk, we don't have something in between, maybe they do in the UK.

And of course we have iced coffee, we live in one of the hottest climates. And now that I live in Canada, I see people drink hot coffee every day, so apparently it's not that gross up here.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the question.

"Too much"?

Coffee?

I don't follow ...

Pawsforme wrote: »
    There is no such thing as too much coffee. ;)

Yeah, I don't understand the question...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the question.

"Too much"?

Coffee?

I don't follow ...

This :)

Totally off topic, but is that a wolf in your pic? Where can I howl next a wolf?
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I tried mixing my coffee with protein powder.

Now THAT was lumpy and gross...
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wild horses couldn't drag me away from my coffee pot. That thing is shackled to me and not going anywhere!! I drink it black and have no extra calories with it though. I do find drinking extra water to counteract the diuretic effect helps with my weight loss. Just fit it in, coffee is amazing.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    coffee itself is hardly ever the problem...it's the stuff people put in it. Cream & sugar can easily add 100 calories to the 5 calories of coffee you start with. If you're using skim milk sparingly, and measuring it and keeping track how it adds up over 5 or so cups of coffee, you'll be okay.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know when I figure it out.
    Currently on my second venti Americano of the day and it's just after 10am.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I generally drink 8 cups a day.

More doctor doesn't seem to think that this is problematic, but I am in the PNW, so...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Ack! MY doctor.

Perhaps I can blame my bad typing on too much caffeine...
  • erigann
    erigann Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love coffee
    Drink as much as possible without interfering with sleep or iron absorption
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I love coffee. And I love my coffee black ... no milk/cream/whitener (nauseating!), no sugar or any other sweeteners (except if I have a really bad cold).

1st cup starts to wake me up the morning and I feel more like dealing with the world.

2nd cup completes that task, and just generally makes me feel good.

3rd cup ... sometimes it goes down well, but other times not. I've really got to debate whether I want a 3rd cup of coffee or whether I'm ready to move on to something else.

And I find that if I drink more than 3 cups, I'm extra-hungry. So more than 3 is a bad idea.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I imagine if you can't leave your bathroom due to the coffee poops, you should probably cut back a little. :p
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Wait, huh? Since when was hot coffee gross? I generally only drink my coffee hot unless it's cold brew style. That seems like a weird thing to say.
    I tried mixing my coffee with protein powder.

Now THAT was lumpy and gross...

I do that! I use the chocolate flavor, throw in a little milk and mix it up in the blender bottle. It's really good!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    A few comments about coffee ... from my observations.

I'm Canadian ... and hot coffee isn't 'gross' to Canadians. It's one of two ways to drink coffee ... hot and iced. But people tend to drink hot more often than iced. Most of the coffee is also brewed ... filter with coffee grounds on top, dripping through to the pot on the bottom.

I live in Australia ... and I think I'm the only person here who drinks her coffee black. Australians seem to like milk (not cream, not some sort of chemical whitener) in their coffee. Australians drink instant coffee much of the time (this is what you might find in offices, for example) ... or coffee so strong you have immediate heart palpitations and feel like you're going to explode (this is what you might find in bakeries, for example). Maybe that's why most Australians take milk in their coffee. I like strong coffee, but I have to ask for extra hot water.

I have travelled to several different countries ...

The hot coffee I have had in the US is weak and really awful. Maybe I just haven't been to wherever good coffee is served ... I would hope there is better coffee somewhere in the US than what I've encountered. But I've only had it with complementary breakfasts and the occasional restaurant. And I suspect these places of watering down the coffee.

In Japan, you can get hot and cold coffee in cans from vending machines in a variety of "flavours" ... black, white, etc.. Nice! :)

Again ... just some of MY observations about coffee. :) YMMV.