Stupid Cafeteria Food...

Options
Ugh! I thought I was being reasonably good for lunch today, I made two small tacos. I work at a school, so there aren't a lot of options for low fat or health conscious toppings.
Two small white tortillas
Small scoop beef/small scoop chicken
Small Portion of Lettuce
tsp (each) Salsa
tsp (each Sour Cream
1/4 cup Shredded Cheese total
Jalepenos
two bites spanish rice.

And that was 850 CALORIES!!!!! Ugh, unbelievable. Does that sound accurate? Geez. I didn't even eat my desert, I had one bite of a cookie and that was it.

Thank God we have to start bringing out lunches next week...that was i can do the measuring myself and make healthy choices....or so I hope.

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at my job, just minus the cafeteria or ANY variation of a lunch room! It's either sodium and calorie-soaked vending machine foods, an army of fast foods surrounding my place of work, aka Mcdonalds, bill miller, and jackin the box, OR NOTHING!

I think it'd just be safe to say to either bring your own foods or MAJOR portion control, which wouldn't be fun or filling at all!
  • manezy
    manezy Posts: 8
    Options
    :laugh: lol im sorry but that lunch sound amazing haha i got hungry reading it... But yea cafeteria food is never healthy even the salads are fattening lol
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Yep, bag lunches are the way to go... Unfortunately!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make your lunch everyday? You need to control what goes in your mouth, no a cafeteria or its choices.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I thought I was being reasonably good for lunch today, I made two small tacos. I work at a school, so there aren't a lot of options for low fat or health conscious toppings.
    Two small white tortillas
    Small scoop beef/small scoop chicken
    Small Portion of Lettuce
    tsp (each) Salsa
    tsp (each Sour Cream
    1/4 cup Shredded Cheese total
    Jalepenos
    two bites spanish rice.

And that was 850 CALORIES!!!!! Ugh, unbelievable. Does that sound accurate? Geez. I didn't even eat my desert, I had one bite of a cookie and that was it.

Thank God we have to start bringing out lunches next week...that was i can do the measuring myself and make healthy choices....or so I hope.

That doesn't sound accurate. Small white tortillas are should be about 60-100 calories a piece. I'm not sure what a small scoop of beef or a small scoop of chicken actually means, but if the scoops were about 1/4 cup, I would think about 80 calories each, same with the cheese. Salsa --less than 5 calories, sour cream, probably 30. Spanish rice, probably should skip, but only 2 bites--50. I'm getting closer to 530 than 850.

Bringing your own lunch is unfortunately always the better option, but maybe you are over counting?
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Your cheese and tortillas are really the only big calorie busters. Beef can be, but if it's a small scoop as in 1/4 cup, it's not unreasonable. Salsa, lettuce, jalapenos, and sour cream are all really low in calories. I think you've either added in the wrong amounts or brands or you've eaten more than you claim. Watch out with toppings. I love cheese, but I'm learning to not put it on salads, tacos, etc. because there's so many other flavors, you can't even taste the cheese and it's just wasted calories. Good luck!
  • AKAnderson785
    Options
    Thank You for the thoughts and comments! I appreciate everyone's input, whether it's an "I feel ya," or some advice. It's good to know there's support :)

Yes, it is a blessing in disguise that the cafeteria is closing for the summer, now i can control what I eat and how much of it by making it myself. And then, if I screw it up, I've only got myself to blame! :)
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Next time, leave out the tortillas and eat everything as a taco salad, instead. I do this often and it save a lot of calories and carbs.
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also eat in my school's cafeteria. It's free, which is why I do it, but every time I log the calories, I wonder if it's worth it.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you need any suggestions on how to eat healthier with cafeteria lunches, just give some examples and I'll try to help out.

For example, today I would have suggested you eat a taco salad like this:
    - Bed of lettuce on bottom
    - Scoop of chicken on top (beef if that's all they had)
    - Any other veggies available on top
    - 2 tablespoons salsa (low in calories, but high in sodium)
    - 2 Sprinkles of cheese on top (if absolutely necessary)
    - Have a bottle of water and any fruit available with that
    - Total would be 400 calories at most

Not trying to criticize though, because I totally understand! There is almost no way around eating bad in a school cafeteria :ohwell: