Phetermine

Options
Has anyone used this before per doctor? I have used a few years a go and it helped with weight loss. I just started again and I haven't noticed any changes. If you have ever used please share your story and if it helped you. If so, how much weight did it assist with losing and how much time?

Replies

• Cammy_girl
    Cammy_girl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You're not going to get much support on here, most people feel it is a quick fix and will advise sticking to a calorie deficit via food and exercise.

Having said that, I'm currently on Duromine and it's working for me. I have lost 11ish kg/24ish pound since the start of May. Not too quick, but reasonably steady while eating between 1400 -1600 cal per day plus some exercises calories.

I know that without duromine I can lose weight, but I was constantly tired and stupidly hungry. It has helped me have a bit of extra energy to go for walks(not speedy like for me), and suppress my appetite.

I didn't eat a lot of junk, considering i'm 60kg overweight, but it was portions and sitting on the couch all day that did me in. With the bit of extra energy I have, it is motivating for me. Obviously if all you do is eat smaller amounts of crap, when you stop taking it you will probably undo your efforts.

Feel free to msg me if you need more, hope this helps :)
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You may as well take amphetamines. These suppressants can cause all sorts of problems. My daughter was on Duromine and became addicted. When she got off of them she went from a size 8 to a 18-22. Stick to a CICO diet and you will loose weight.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Cammy_girl wrote: »
    You're not going to get much support on here, most people feel it is a quick fix

Well, it *is* a quick fix, or at least a short term fix. You're not supposed to do long term courses of it. The goal is to aid weight loss while the patient trains themselves to eat less and move more, but eventually the patient is expected to fly solo without the amphetamine co-pilot.

• JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Phentermine definitely works... If using again, it won't work as well the second time around. But, ariamythe is correct, it is for short term loss and you have to eat right and exercise to keep the pounds off. My second time taking it I lost about 30 pounds the first 30 days. It was prescribed to me for insulin resistance and it did boost my metabolism for sure. I just messed up like many do and quit counting calories and slowly but surely the weight came back. Not because of phentermine, but because I got lazy and gave up.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    According to your other thread you only want to lose 10-20 pounds. I doubt a doctor would prescribe Phetermine for such a small amount to lose.

Why don't you set MFP for one pound a week loss and go by the calories that it gives you? Use a food scale to weigh all of your food.

You may want to start here with some "light reading"

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Has anyone used this before per doctor? I have used a few years a go and it helped with weight loss. I just started again and I haven't noticed any changes. If you have ever used please share your story and if it helped you. If so, how much weight did it assist with losing and how much time?

You can take all the weight loss pills you want, try all the different diets out there, but nothing will work unless you eat at a calorie deficit. The only reason the weight loss drug worked for you before is because you were eating less calories than you burned.

I suggest you set up your goals in MFP (or use other weight loss app specifically for setting up weight loss goals), weigh your food and log everything you eat, and if you exercise log that too but eat only about 75% of your exercise calories. Make sure you stick to your calorie goals, and you will lose weight-no pills necessary. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Cammy_girl wrote: »
    You're not going to get much support on here, most people feel it is a quick fix and will advise sticking to a calorie deficit via food and exercise.

Having said that, I'm currently on Duromine and it's working for me. I have lost 11ish kg/24ish pound since the start of May. Not too quick, but reasonably steady while eating between 1400 -1600 cal per day plus some exercises calories.

I know that without duromine I can lose weight, but I was constantly tired and stupidly hungry. It has helped me have a bit of extra energy to go for walks(not speedy like for me), and suppress my appetite.

I didn't eat a lot of junk, considering i'm 60kg overweight, but it was portions and sitting on the couch all day that did me in. With the bit of extra energy I have, it is motivating for me. Obviously if all you do is eat smaller amounts of crap, when you stop taking it you will probably undo your efforts.

Feel free to msg me if you need more, hope this helps :)

So, is it fair to say that Duromine suppressed your appetite, therefore helping you to eat less calories than you burned?
  • Sirius_12
    Sirius_12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I tried Qsymia, which has phentermine in it. Had absolutely no effect.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It was not working much for me except that it totally STOPPED nighttime food cravings - which was big for me. I lost minimal weight until I got brutally honest in my calorie counting. Last week I went to the doctor and swore I was not overeating and logging calories and had lost 3 lbs in the past 3 months. Before that I had started taking it but had to stop because of surgery after 6 weeks and had initially lost 5 pounds or so I believe. She then said I either needed to be tested to see why the medication wasn't working for me which shows how my body metabolizes all meds OR consider a gastric sleeve. I opted to go on a higher dose and go back in two months and now am on 14.5mg. When I got home I started reviewing my fitbit reports and MFP and realized given my activity that I was eating at maintenance and wasn't logging my coffee creamer which I use a LOT of and coconut oil etc.

In a week of going on minimal calories of 1000=1200, logging EVERYTHING dropped 5 lbs, no hunger because of the qysmia.

I'll be the first to admit it is a crutch and my insurance pays most of it and it costs me $60 but this month only charged me $35 so will probably use another two months and wean off of it. My doctor had fabulous results and that is the only person I know who has taken it and she reports other patients who have done well.

The intro dose I don't believe does much of anything, it is to adjust your body, my dr told me not to expect any effect the first two weeks.

• zebrablueyes
    zebrablueyes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!