How to lose body fat, not weight!

Options
For the past month I've been eating 1,500 per day to lose weight. I'm now at 120-121lbs and happy. Though I still have a lot of fat around my middle/legs to lose. According to my scales my BF% is 24/24%, ideally I'd like it to be 18-20%. I've swapped long cardio sessions for HIIT workouts and weight training. But clueless when it comes to how many calories I should eat. Should I eat at maintenance? Or should I eat just below that? Help!

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Look at the body recomposition thread.
    That should answer most of your questions.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Look at the body recomposition thread.
    That should answer most of your questions.
    YEP
    or just google "body recomposition"

I have been maintaining for 3 years with HIIT, timed meals, Intermittent Fasting and Calorie Cycling.
    Before I began body recomp, I had lost around 100 pounds, and when I reached my weight goal, I had 25% body fat.
    That's when I started body recomp.

Today after 3 years, I am at 15%.
    It's a slow process, so be patient.

Good Luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say eat between maintenance and a weekly goal of 0.5lbs/week.

You mentioned cardio, but are you doing any lifting? Lifting will be key in losing BF% without losing much weight. I suggest starting strength, strong lifts, strong curves, or new rules of lifting. Cardio is optional, only do it if you like it, or are training for an event.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'll take a look! :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I agree, lifting (heavy) was the key for me to lose body fat. I was 100 pounds with cellulite and jiggly thighs, I started lifting and eating more, I gained 10 pounds and now have no cellulite and firm legs! It works!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    I don't have access to a gym though, I only have 2 x 2kg weights at home!
  • erickirb
    Options

If you don't have access to equipment then I would urge you to check out "you are your own gym, "nerd fitness", or "convict conditioning" they are body weight progressive strength training programs. You won't get the results you want without a progressive strength training program and would have to lose more weight to lower BF% without it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can also look into resistance bands as a start. You can get a couple of different ones for about $10 a piece. But your results will be determined by the program. So if you don't find a way to do a good program, you can't expect fantastic results.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Looking at your picture, I fail to see where all the fat you're talking about is.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

If you don't have access to equipment then I would urge you to check out "you are your own gym, "nerd fitness", or "convict conditioning" they are body weight progressive strength training programs. You won't get the results you want without a progressive strength training program and would have to lose more weight to lower BF% without it.
    psulemon wrote: »
    You can also look into resistance bands as a start. You can get a couple of different ones for about $10 a piece. But your results will be determined by the program. So if you don't find a way to do a good program, you can't expect fantastic results.

Both great options.
    I want to add Strong curves to the list. There is a bodyweight program in the book, plus if you check out the author's instagram, there are lots of options using bands.
    But just look into these programs and see what you like best.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/recomp. I started back first part of July by lifting as heavy as I could; this month (August) I'm doing the same basic exercises but lightened the load and am doing what they call High Intensity Explosive Training (HIET)--read lifting as fast as you can while keeping good form. Not sure of the results yet, but we'll see. Good luck. B)
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks guys - all good options. I can't find the body recomp thread though? Also what should I do calorie wise?
  • erickirb
    Options
    Thanks guys - all good options. I can't find the body recomp thread though? Also what should I do calorie wise?
    You can do small deficit or maintenance. Maybe eat at a deficit on non lifting days(250/day) and maintenance on lifting days as an option
  • kabochia
    kabochia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness

Here is another great resource! I also recommend "You Are Your Own Gym".
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    You can do small deficit or maintenance. Maybe eat at a deficit on non lifting days(250/day) and maintenance on lifting days as an option

Fantastic idea, thanks!

• katiejanecollins
    Options
    kabochia wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness

Here is another great resource! I also recommend "You Are Your Own Gym".

Thanks!