Another Beginner, Lifting, while losing?

Options
I'm confused about how to format my meals. I don't have a problem keeping in a certain calorie range, but as I'm beginning to work with weights (I'm just starting free weights, and supplementing with machines while I work up my courage.) I'm concerned that I am not eating enough calories to make up for the exercise.

I try to do a half hour of cardio at the gym (Mixed bag, of running, biking, and elliptical depending on my mood that day.) and then do at least a half hour of weights.

I'm 5'5" and currently about the 170 range. I've got my calories set at 1350 or something similar, if that helps.

I just bought the New Rules of Lifting For Women book to read, as I've seen it recommended numerous times, and am getting advice from a friend that is much more knowledgeable than I am.

I'd like to shed pounds while also building muscle, but the weight, as far as scale isn't a concern. My goal here is to be fit and healthy, I am aware, however, that I need to shed some pounds or I'll never be able to see the beautiful muscles I'll be building.

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry if this is a really redundant question.

Replies

• DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Firstly, its generally recommended to do weights before cardio while you're fresh, so you're getting the most out of it.

For energy/calories I suggest you go to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to work out your BMR, TDEE and a suitable deficit.
  • KrisisOD
    KrisisOD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I usually start with 10 minutes of cardio to warm up, and then switch to weights, and then finish with 10-20 more minutes of cardio. If it's 10 minutes, I do a higher intensity level than if it's 20 minutes at the end.

The website is telling me 1880 calories, with the gain muscle, lose weight option... but showing (very) minuscule weight loss. If I put a 20% deficient instead it's telling me 1500 calories would be okay.

I don't mind losing slowly, as I really want to lean out while building muscle, but should there be more than one pound lost in 60 months, which is what the chart was showing for 1880 calories?
  • loki9689
    loki9689 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind not losing fast i would quit focusing on the scale. If you focus on the weights you are moving, and muscle being built it may seem like the scale never moves. Muscle is a lot denser than fat and may throw off the weight loss numbers, but that doesn't mean you aren't shedding fat.

If your not feeling starved with your calorie intact around 1500 stick there for a few weeks and see if it has the desired effects.

A little challenge that might help. Try writing down the numbers you can do; lunges, squats, push-ups, etc. and your current weight. Then stay off the scale for two or three weeks and focus on beating/doubling your max reps. After that hop on the scale and see how much progress was made.
  • DR2501
    Options
    It depends what you want to do - the build muscle lose weight option means that you're changing your body's composition - so losing fat and building muscle would be a better description, whereas your overall weight remains fairly stable.

Recomping like this can take time, but can produce good results.
  • KrisisOD
    KrisisOD Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've decided to set my calories at 1700 with a 40/30/30 macro goal. And try to focus spreading out my meals while working out 4 times a week with the cardio I've been doing, think 10 minutes in the beginning followed by 10-20 minutes of walking/running after the weights.

If I'm unhappy in a month or so with my results I'll reevaluate. And I have decided not to look at the scale. I'm hoping to see positive physical changes in body composition, and overall strength.

Thanks for the help. :)
  • DR2501
    Options
    Good luck, sounds like a solid plan to me :)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    KrisisOD wrote: »
    The website is telling me 1880 calories, with the gain muscle, lose weight option... but showing (very) minuscule weight loss. If I put a 20% deficient instead it's telling me 1500 calories would be okay.

I don't mind losing slowly, as I really want to lean out while building muscle, but should there be more than one pound lost in 60 months, which is what the chart was showing for 1880 calories?

The option for gain muscle/lose fat, not necessarily weight, is for someone who is at a good weight but wants to lose body fat and gain muscle, therefore you're eating closer to maintenance. If you intent is to lose weight you should chose one of the deficit options. Since you don't have a lot to lose, I would go with a 10-15% deficit and the lifting program you have selected.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I've decided to set my calories at 1700 with a 40/30/30 macro goal. And try to focus spreading out my meals while working out 4 times a week with the cardio I've been doing, think 10 minutes in the beginning followed by 10-20 minutes of walking/running after the weights.

If I'm unhappy in a month or so with my results I'll reevaluate. And I have decided not to look at the scale. I'm hoping to see positive physical changes in body composition, and overall strength.

Just make sure you take pics you can compare in a month or pics and measurements. It can be a real eye opener comparing pics and measurements when you feel you have changed at all.

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Just make sure you take pics you can compare in a month or pics and measurements. It can be a real eye opener comparing pics and measurements when you feel you have changed at all.

^^ should have been "when you feel you haven't changed at all".
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I did much of the same when I started my program. I tried to eat back all of the protein and a small portion of the carbs.

I did 30-60 mins of cardio followed by resistance training - utilized Stronglifts 5x5 for this, then finished up with light cardio - walk/jog to loosen up and stretch out.