Not losing weight from boot camp?

Options
Hey guys,

I joined a boot camp class on July 15th and have been going 4-5 times per week. The workout usually lasts around 30 minutes and I wear a HRM (not sure how accurate it is) that tells me I burn around 300 calories per session. The classes incorporate a lot of cardio and weight-training so I've definitely been sore everyday. I've been eating around 1,500 calories per day and have been trying to limit processed foods. I'm at 186 pounds right now so definitely have some weight to lose.

I haven't lost a single pound since starting and fluctuate around 2 pounds. I decided to join this class after gaining 20 pounds last year and am just wondering if anyone has any opinion as to why I haven't lost weight over the past 3 weeks. I would like to think it's because I'm retaining water from muscle soreness, or that I'm beginning to replace muscle with fat, but I'm also just frustrated about not seeing any results on the scale! Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing the same time each time you weigh? How often are you weighing? Are you measuring and weighing your food? Are you eating at a defecit?

These are all questions, anyone would ask you.

It is only 3 weeks. It takes time when starting a diet/workout program.

Also please don't focus on the scale. You have to take on all aspects especially when weight training.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Retaining water, possibly. Replacing muscle with fat, no.

Are you weighing and logging everything you eat?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have not been eating as little as you think.
  • cookiecat91
    cookiecat91 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing the same time each time you weigh? How often are you weighing? Are you measuring and weighing your food? Are you eating at a defecit?

Also please don't focus on the scale. You have to take on all aspects especially when weight training.

Yes, I weigh in the morning before eating anything every 3-4 days. I do measure and weigh my food using a scale or measuring cups. And I definitely agree, I wish I had taken measurements before starting the program but it's hard to not get discouraged from the scale.
  • cookiecat91
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

Yes, I've been weighing and logging everything I eat! Hopefully it's just some water retention. You don't think it could be from muscle at this point?
  • Sean_TheITGuy
    Sean_TheITGuy Posts: 67 Member
    Options

This. Any new, and strenuous activity (anything that makes you sore) makes you muscles puff up with water. You're not gaining muscle, but rather your muscle tissue becomes inundated with fluid as a response to the stress you are putting on your muscles. As you work the muscles, they are damaged. Your body goes to work repairing the tissue and making it stronger, but there's a lot of waste products and damaged cells that have to be cleaned up by phages. The inflammation and puffiness of a sore muscle is an indication of this janitorial action.
  • BekahC1980
    Options

Yes, I weigh in the morning before eating anything every 3-4 days. I do measure and weigh my food using a scale or measuring cups. And I definitely agree, I wish I had taken measurements before starting the program but it's hard to not get discouraged from the scale.

Trust me I know all about getting discouraged with the scale. I would suggest to weigh one time a week. That is what j do because I e old drive myself crazy with the fluctuations.
  • bivski
    bivski Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For me I actually gained weight around week 3 - 4. Pissed me off to say the least, but I then started to lose weight. I was just running at the time. If i were you I would jump on the scale once month.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    how about measuring waist, thigh, arm, neck? you might be losing inches? I'm sure that's frustrating not to see the scale budge.
  • cookiecat91
    Options

This. Any new, and strenuous activity (anything that makes you sore) makes you muscles puff up with water. You're not gaining muscle, but rather your muscle tissue becomes inundated with fluid as a response to the stress you are putting on your muscles. As you work the muscles, they are damaged. Your body goes to work repairing the tissue and making it stronger, but there's a lot of waste products and damaged cells that have to be cleaned up by phages. The inflammation and puffiness of a sore muscle is an indication of this janitorial action.

Ok, makes a lot more sense and I definitely feel better. I've been so sore that I'm sure something has to be happening. Thanks!
  • cookiecat91
    Options

Trust me I know all about getting discouraged with the scale. I would suggest to weigh one time a week. That is what j do because I e old drive myself crazy with the fluctuations.

I think I'm going to start doing once a week. The scale is driving me insane but I also am not the type of person who can just stop weighing myself completely. Thanks for your advice!
  • cookiecat91
    Options
    bivski wrote: »
    For me I actually gained weight around week 3 - 4. Pissed me off to say the least, but I then started to lose weight. I was just running at the time. If i were you I would jump on the scale once month.

So frustrating but glad to know that it worked out for you! Hoping that it'll start to show for me soon too!
  • cookiecat91
    Options
    TnTWalter wrote: »
    how about measuring waist, thigh, arm, neck? you might be losing inches? I'm sure that's frustrating not to see the scale budge.

I'm going to start measuring inches. It seems like some of my clothes is fitting better than before but measuring inches would confirm that. Thank you for the suggestion!
  • BekahC1980
    Options

I think I'm going to start doing once a week. The scale is driving me insane but I also am not the type of person who can just stop weighing myself completely. Thanks for your advice!

If you wanna, add me you can. :wink: