2 Grocery Questions

sabrinacrandall
sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
Okay, I've recently been teaching myself to cook. I think I've done pretty well so far, but as far as the grocery store goes, there are two things that I seem unable to find (I shop at two different ones, and have not had success).

1. Hummus
2. Edamame

Where does one find these?! I've looked in all of the refridgerated/frozen sections, the vegetable section, the pre-prepped salad and additional fresh cheese section, the asian food section, the cracker aisle...pretty much everywhere. I'm assuming (wrongly?) that these are things you can buy at a store like Wal-Mart? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Hummus probably in dairy fridge with the dips, that's where it is in Australia.

Edamame no idea, maybe an Asian grocery shop
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Yup, hummus ought to be with all the other dips, and if they have edamame, it will be frozen and with the frozen veg, but they might not carry it.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    I'm in the UK so it may vary, but here hummus is kept with the refrigerated dips and sandwich fillings.
    Edamame can be found fresh with premade salads, or with the vegetables in the freezer section. Or dried in the international foods section.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    In the Us I find Edamame two places in a store like Walmart or Target - frozen by the vegetables and freeze dried/dry roasted by the dried fruits and veggies.

Hummus should be in the refrigerated section, probably near dip.
  • sabrinacrandall
    Huh. I can't seem to find it with the dips (which are with the yogurts in my store, at least some of them). Maybe I just don't know what the packaging looks like. I know there are peanut butters with the cheeses that look like they're going to be hummus from afar, but aren't.

And, as for the edamame, I looked in the frozen veggies pretty extensively yesterday, and the best I found was lima beans. :p But, maybe I should also look with the fruits, which are in a completely different section. If I don't find it, maybe I can find an asian food market close. I know there's one about 45 minutes away.
  • JamieD328
    JamieD328 Posts: 976 Member
    in the grocery stores around here hummus is with the refrigerated dressings in the produce sections. and fresh edamame will probably be in produce near near bagged salad where they would have things like bagged brussells sprouts and stir fry mix.
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    At a few different Meijer around here hummus in a stand-alone refrigerated bin/stand along with specialty cheeses in the produce section - they have a ton of different kinds. I can't picture where it is at Walmart, but I have purchased it there before - probably also around the produce section. At Kroger it's near the produce, also near specialty cheeses. Edamame I always find in the frozen section, with the other vegetables, frequently either near the top shelf or the bottom.
  • KMasz
    KMasz Posts: 2,627 Member
    Not sure about edamame, most stores near me only have it in the frozen veggie section. Hummus at stores near me are by the deli with the store deli packaged block/shredded/grated cheeses (not in the dairy section with the name brand block cheese)
  • sabrinacrandall
    Okay, making my own is a really great idea. I hadn't really considered that an option!
    Hummus at stores near me are by the deli with the store deli packaged block/shredded/grated cheeses (not in the dairy section with the name brand block cheese)
    Hm, it could be there for me too, now that you mention it. There's a little kiosk type refrigerated section by the meat counter that I haven't really looked at...

Thank you all! I now know I can, at the very least, make one of the two. It would be really great to find edamame somewhere, because it's delicious and high in protein and all that, but at least hummus is doable. :)
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    or you could ask someone that works at your store. . .they probably would be happy to help. i know mine usually are.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    In my local Walmart the hummus is with the prepackaged veggies, salads and fruits in the chilled portion of the produce section. The edamame is in the frozen veggies next to the frozen snow peas and frozen stir fry mixed veggies.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Hummus is found in the deli section of my local grocery. Edamame in the frozen vegetable and frozen 'health foods' section. I've never found edamame not frozen.

Hummus is super easy and so much cheaper to make yourself. Just put a can of chickpeas, clove of garlic, couple Tbs of lemon juice, a little salt and cumin in a food processor. Turn it on and drizzle in however much olive oil you prefer. If you want to keep it lower calorie, add a little water and less oil. It takes like 5 min to make and wash out the processor bowl. That is a basice hummus recipe, but you can add roasted peppers, more/roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes or whatever else you like to mix up the taste.

Edamame hummus is also good.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Make your own hummus. Here, the store made hummus is not that great in my opinion. Hummus contains dried chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice and water, salt, garlic. To make it you need a food processor. Its very easy to make and its freaking delicious. Its easy to find an authentic recipe online. Start with authentic before you go down the experimental path.

Traditionally hummus is served with a drizzle of olive oil on top but if you are on a diet, then i'd skip that bit.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Note that recipe above my post is not how it is traditionally made. There is no cumin and you don't drizzle olive oil in. Hummus contains tahini - ground sesame seeds. That said, what she describes sound like it would be quite nice too.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2015
    Tahini is kinda pricey to my way of thinking so if I wasn't real sure I wanted hummus on a regular basis it'd be cheaper for me to buy it ready made. Tahini is similar to natural peanut butter; the kind with oil floating on top. I've tried substituting peanut butter for tahini in hummus, or just leaving it out, and didn't care as much for it as much either way. If you do buy tahini you might try it in salad dressings too. Personally, I've never heard of hummus without olive oil, but the universe is filled with stuff I've never heard of.

The Kroger I go to keeps it in a cooler case with higher end dips and some cheeses like brie and fresh mozzarella.

Edamame, foodie speak for soybeans, is only in the frozen foods case at the local Kroger.

Congratulations on your decision to learn to cook! Here's wishing the knowledge and skill serve you and yours well for many decades.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Patttience wrote: »
    Note that recipe above my post is not how it is traditionally made. There is no cumin and you don't drizzle olive oil in. Hummus contains tahini - ground sesame seeds. That said, what she describes sound like it would be quite nice too.

Doh! Yes, I can't believe I forgot the tahini. But I've never seen a recipe for hummus without olive oil.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    I found hummus by the deli counter where they have the more expensive cheeses and such... around there. that was at walmart
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    I found hummus by the deli counter where they have the more expensive cheeses and such... around there. that was at walmart

That is where I find hummus at my grocery store

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    In the Us I find Edamame two places in a store like Walmart or Target - frozen by the vegetables and freeze dried/dry roasted by the dried fruits and veggies.

Hummus should be in the refrigerated section, probably near dip.

that is where I find these items as well.
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    I do it your way, but without the tahini...