Probiotics?!

Options
I've been doing some pretty extensive research on probiotics lately and was just wondering if I could get some real reviews and not just random web reviews. I have pretty extensive digestive issues, have been very sluggish feeling and have hit a rut in fitness/health goals for a while now and wanted to know if the right ones really do what they say they do. Any success stories?

Replies

• missnolder890
    missnolder890 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something to actually help me, not just the next fad that will waste my money.
  • rrrca
    rrrca Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    there is some significant data showing that probiotics generally don't colonize your gut very well, and that the colonization that does take place is transitory. If current research is true, you'd be better served with a strong prebiotic.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Are you lactose intolerant? If not, then yogurt is the best probiotic out there.

Most probiotics on the market are sugar water with lactobacillus strains and it is very transitory. If you think in terms of population you are trying to move a new pack of bacteria into an already colonized area, so unless your diet promotes a healthier flora, probiotics aren't going to have much impact.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yogurt or buttermilk will do the same job Culturelle does, but unless a doctor has suggested it, I see no reason to worry about your intestinal flora.
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    For those who take medicine everyday, also those who can not drink or eat dairy produces because of sever blotting and other problems that milk can cause you should be taking a Porbiotic once a day. The one that I am taking now has NO artificial coloring, flavor or sweetener, NO preservatives, sugar, starch, milk, lactose, soy. gluten, wheat, fish and sodium free. My dietitian told me to take one that has at least 17 live cultures, anything less then that is not worth the money. Right Now I am taking a brand named "Nature's Bounty", but when that runs out I will be taking "Culturelle" Regardless what others might think or say This DOES WORK. My blotting is gone, my discomfort is gone along with other problems that I was having. Culturelle is suppose to be one of the best so I am switching to that one when the one I am taken is gone. Hope this helps? :)
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is talk to your Doctor about it or a Dietitian. :)
  • atlassmom121
    atlassmom121 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love kombucha! I brew my own and drink it daily :)
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I take an acidophilus capsules as per my nutritionists advice with 3billion live culture in its made a difference to my bloating plus encouraging good bacteria helps your gut work better keeping out nasties and maintaining good bacteria balance throughout the body
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take an acidophilus capsule as well with 10 billion active cells and I find that it has helped greatly with my digestion. In the past I have had bloating and IBS type symptoms and a combination of lowering my food intake (not overeating), reducing the intake of dairy, and the probiotic has helped. To be honest, I think it just really depends on what works personally for your body. Try one and see what it does for you.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me on a regimen of probiotic supplementation (a brand from my local pharmacy), and plain unsweetened greek yogurt. I am also to avoid certain foods that are troubling for my stomach. Also I am supposed to avoid carbonated drinks, and sugar-y foods. I have legit serious stomach problems though, so your mileage may vary.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have pretty extensive digestive issues, have been very sluggish feeling and have hit a rut in fitness/health goals for a while now and wanted to know if the right ones really do what they say they do.

If you have digestive issues you should be talking to a medical professional.

I doubt that your rut has anything to do with your digestive health. I would view that as a separate issue, perhaps related to overtraining, undereating, or any other number of factors.
  • Chayacandoit
    Chayacandoit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I ferment everything: veggies, fruits, dairy. Check out recipes on the web.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I have pretty extensive digestive issues, have been very sluggish feeling and have hit a rut in fitness/health goals for a while now and wanted to know if the right ones really do what they say they do.

If you have digestive issues you should be talking to a medical professional.

I doubt that your rut has anything to do with your digestive health. I would view that as a separate issue, perhaps related to overtraining, undereating, or any other number of factors.

yes, speak to your doctor. My regimen was prescribed by a physician, as well as specific dietary restrictions.
  • jdleanna
    jdleanna Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    One of my kids takes two probiotocs (culturelle and a yeast-based one also) but it's because he has specific medical issues and his GI doctor prescribed them. Probiotics don't have superpowers and I can't imagine why they'd help with your sluggishness or the rut you're in. They wouldn't hurt, but I think you may be hoping they'll help you in ways they frankly won't.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I tend to switch around on brands due to price variability, but I've been taking the Ultimate Care probiotic from Garden of Life's new Dr. Formulated Probiotic line, and I've been really pleased. I got them for free, so that's a plus anyway, but it really is a quality probiotic. The same line also has probiotics geared towards weight loss, prostate, urinary tract, and Lisa's health support. There's coupons for the entire line on the internet, too, so it's worth considering.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    You can make your own sugar and milk kefir at home. All you need is the kefir grains, a glass jar, a strainer, and milk or sugar and water for the two different types of kefir.
  • SQUEESSA
    SQUEESSA Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    One of my doc's recently told me he takes VSL3 as a daily probiotic and suggested I do so as well. Did some research and it's used for IBS. You can purchase it online for about $60 US per bottle, plus you have to add shipping costs for next day delivery due to it having to be refrigerated. However, I went into the pharmacy section at Costco and asked if they carried it. And Yes, at $43 per bottle.

Works so well that I take one every other day. The *kitten* really works, pun intended :)

This doctor is legit. He was recognized as one of Los Angeles's 5 Top Doctors. He's also written wellness books and does thorough research on medicines.

https://youtu.be/aoOdaRoJdWE