What do you do with polenta?

Options
MissJM1
MissJM1 Posts: 23 Member
I saw some while shopping the other day, thought id give it a try but i have no idea what to do with it.

Any good recipies?

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You can layer it with tomato sauce and greens and bake it (like lasagna). It kind of depends how much you like it, but you can use it in place of something like rice, topped with anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own and cook it in some milk and butter to make some creamy grits. you can also get it already prepared, in which case I grill it and sauce it...I like a good bolognese.
  • MissJM1
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try a little first as not sure if I'll like it or not, always good to try something new though
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I like it creamy with butter.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It's great for breakfast or brinner. Grill it up and top with maple syrup. Yum!
  • megsCA
    megsCA Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee it with Johnsonville Turkey sausage. add some peppers and onions... YUM!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We just had polenta with roasted summer vegetables. It was pretty darn delicious.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I buy it like this. Had some this morning for breakfast. Southerners call it grits.
    7ljaviqk8yfr.jpg
    But you can also buy it like this. My parents, born 1910 and 1913, were Pennsyltucky Dutch and called it mush.
    1sypuiwaa9kw.jpg

• cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Put bacon in it!!! Or feta cheese. Or make it with pork chops.
  • MissJM1
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    I buy it like this. Had some this morning for breakfast. Southerners call it grits.
    7ljaviqk8yfr.jpg
    But you can also buy it like this. My parents, born 1910 and 1913, were Pennsyltucky Dutch and called it mush.
    1sypuiwaa9kw.jpg

I have it in the solid version, i had no idea that's what 'grits' where, I'm in the UK so have heard of them but never knew what it was

• patrikc333
    patrikc333 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    if you make it from the flour, these are typical italian good combinations

polenta and melted gorgonzola on top
    polenta with spicy salami on top
    polenta with mushrooms

already made polenta is really good grilled on the bbq with grilled meat
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I'm familiar with grits in the white hominy form. I should give polenta another try. I bought it pre-prepared once and was underwhelmed, but if I DIY it will probably be good. Something to experiment with this weekend.
  • Jollybeard
    Jollybeard Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always thought that grits and polenta were different things, that one was coarser than the other. Is this incorrect?

Regardless, I like my polenta with roasted vegetables on top and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Polenta also matches well with tomato and tomato sauce.
  • bluemaine1212
    bluemaine1212 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like it sliced and grilled or baked topped with marinara and some cheese such as mozzarella or provolone.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've just discovered the delights of polenta, it's amazing!

I've griddled it and served as a side, cut it into cubes and fried then added pesto, peas and chicken which was also good. Definitely going to be trying out polenta as a pudding though.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use it for porridge, cook it with milk/water for 4 minutes and serve with butter. One of my favorite meals/dishes!
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I like polenta with some kind of fancy sausage (andouille, keilbasa...), peppers, onions, and maybe mushrooms. Add shrimp and its not far from Shrimp and Grits, which is the best food in the history of the universe.
  • ktosello523
    ktosello523 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make it a few different ways, sweet and savoury. First, I make mine from scratch and not already made. I often cook it on apple juice, a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Then put in a buttered bread pan and let firm in the fridge. Once firm I take it out and slice it like bread. Then I dip it in egg wash then dip it in crushed Rice Krispies with some cinnamon and sugar. Fry the slices in a hot pan with butter. I serve it usually with homemade warmed apple sauce and real maple syrup. It's delicious and gluten friendly