Heart Rate Monitor

JJHudgens
JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I have just started to use the NB HRM that I got from Costco. I love the fact it will track how many calories I've burned. There are a few things on it I'm not sure I understand though. Anyone know what the following means?

BPM
BPM%Max
Kcal BPM
InZone BPM

Any help is much appreciated! I've been looking at the Kcal for my calories burned. I'm guessing BPM is Beats Per Minute?
But what are the %Max and InZone for?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    BPM is Beats per minute.
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Yeah BPM is beats per minute, i.e., your heart rate.
    Based on whatever personal information you enter into it, it estimates your maximum heart rate, so %Max will be the percentage of your max heart rate that you're currently at. InZone I'm not sure about, but there are often 'zones' they call fat-burning or fitness depending on the %Max you're working at.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    BPM%Max I think is showing you the percentage your using for your Max Heart Rate
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    I have the same one!

When you set up your hrm, it asks you things like gender, weight, age and what level you are working out in. Each level has a high and low for your heart beats per minute. The In zone means how long throughout your workout you are within those BMP's. The max is the highest your heart rate spiked within that workout. I was told Kcal is the same as calories burned, so that is what you will be looking at. . .

PS the instruction book is short and explains all this and more. This was my first HRM so I read it. If what I said doesn't make sense.. check through it! =)
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184
    BPM- Beats Per Minute (your heart rate)
    BPM %- the percent of your max heart rate that you are working at- you will see the higher your heart rate, the higher your %.
    The other 2 I can't help you on.

But a side note, if you track your calories for MFP for exercise, make sure you subtract out your BMR. Go to the tools section and click on BMR. Click calculate- this will tell you how many calories you would burn all day laying around. Divide that number by 24 (the hours in the day) and then divide by 60 (minutes in an hour). This will give you your BMR calories for one minute. Multiply that number times the minutes you worked out. Subtract that number from whatever your HRM tells you you burned.
    As an example....my BMR is 1986 calories....1986/24/60=1.4 calories/minute. If I do my 55 minute Insanity video, my BMR for that video 76. I burn on my HRM around 750 calories during that video...sooooooooo 750-76=674 calories actually burned during that video.

Hope that helps.
  • ToddFo
    ToddFo Posts: 33 Member
    BPM%Max = Percentage of max heart rate

InZone BPM = Should be related to your max heart rate. There are different target heart rate zones depending on your goal. What do the instructions tell you?
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    BPM %- the percent of your max heart rate that you are working at- you will see the higher your heart rate, the higher your %.

But a side note, if you track your calories for MFP for exercise, make sure you subtract out your BMR. Go to the tools section and click on BMR. Click calculate- this will tell you how many calories you would burn all day laying around. Divide that number by 24 (the hours in the day) and then divide by 60 (minutes in an hour). This will give you your BMR calories for one minute. Multiply that number times the minutes you worked out. Subtract that number from whatever your HRM tells you you burned.
    As an example....my BMR is 1986 calories....1986/24/60=1.4 calories/minute. If I do my 55 minute Insanity video, my BMR for that video 76. I burn on my HRM around 750 calories during that video...sooooooooo 750-76=674 calories actually burned during that video.

Hope that helps.

^ this, in my opinion, is WAY too much work. I walk up stairs during the day, run to meetings, lift stuff, etc. In the end, it all balances out, and that 50-100 bmr calories isn't gonna kill ya.
  • Skolls081102
    Skolls081102 Posts: 184

Hope that helps.

^ this, in my opinion, is WAY too much work. I walk up stairs during the day, run to meetings, lift stuff, etc. In the end, it all balances out, and that 50-100 bmr calories isn't gonna kill ya.

Interesting way of looking at it...but I try to be as accurate as I can be. It takes 30 seconds to do the calculations, but to explain it so people understand it, it looks like alot. I could have just put, BMR/24/60*minutes exercised. Calories burned-thaty number is it....but I figured a better explanation was in order. If it's too much work for you thats fine. but others like to do it. I was glad when it was explained to me, as on some days I'm doing almost 2 hours of exercise, and it adds up.
  • bump
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

BPM
    BPM%Max
    Kcal BPM
    InZone BPM

BPM = Heart Beats per minute
    BPM%Max = what percentage of your maximum heart-rate your current BPM is.
    Kcal BPM (I've no idea on that)
    InZone BPM = whether your heart-rate is in the ideal range for training/fat burning etc
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    i have the new balance fit HRM..you need to input your your target zone low and high then it will let u now when u r in the zone or out of the zone...my zone is 127-167 and the 167 is about 90% of my max hr of 183. to really burn the most cals i need to be at atleast 150bpm...it lets u know by the beeps...
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Thanks everyone!! This helps! And for the one who suggested the calculations...I think it's a good idea! Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.