How to keep my calves loose?

Options
_rachel_k
_rachel_k Posts: 243 Member
edited August 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I have tight calves and I mean tight. Not because I'm in shape and muscular but because when I run they are like rocks and even though I stretch before and after a run they don't really loosen up. It's hard to get my be to use the tiger tail (a rolling pin) on my calves and I don't have a lot of time to stretch them throughout the day so what are other ways I can loosen my calves without paying $50 for a massage?

Also, I can't use a foam roller. I can't hold myself up to do it properly

Replies

• goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    _rachel_k wrote: »
    Also, I can't use a foam roller. I can't hold myself up to do it properly

I have tight calves also and can relate to your struggles.

I was training for a half marathon last year, had tight calves, and ended up straining both calves. I had to go to a physical therapist work through it and it was painful. (I did complete the race.) Search the internet for "calf heart attack" and you'll find discussions about recovery from calf strains. Not easy.

I have three suggestions:

1) Foam roller. I know you said you can't use one, but maybe it is something you just haven't mastered. Experiment with some different techniques and stick with it, the benefits are there. It is uncomfortable when your calves are tight. Don't try to go so deep that it is really painful. It does work some core muscles as you roll out, so there is benefit for that as well. This works better for me than anything else I've tried. You might also look for a softer roller so you can work up to a harder one.

Also... rolling out your thighs, quads, and back are helpful.

2) R8 roller. Not cheap at $120. Works great on hamstrings. Will let you go deep on calves also.

http://saltlakerunningco.com/product-review-r8-massage-roller/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=689VIyEfGv0

3) Yoga. My physical therapist told me that I really needed to work on my flexibility. I've been taking yoga for over a year and it has helped with the tight calf issues. Aside from having tight feeling calves, I also get knee twinges when I feel those calves locking up. Yoga helps.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I have super tight calves too. It's something I have to consistently work at with yoga, foam rollering and trigger pointing in order to keep it in check. Have you tried using a ball on your calves? It actually works better for me on my calves than a foam roller. I have a hard rubber ball which hurts a lot but gets the job done. I'm sure a tennis ball or baseball would work too. You also don't have to hold yourself up.

I stretch them at opportune times like waiting for the elevators at work - I'll just prop my foot up against the wall. I've basically given up on heels. I also do yoga 4 times a week.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What causes this? I"ve never heard of it before. I'm curious.