My Husband's Cashews

Options
whee1234
whee1234 Posts: 26 Member
edited August 2015 in Success Stories
9023mkwopi3u.jpg

My husband (who has been wonderfully helpful about my weight loss and interested in MFP in an over-my-shoulder kind of way) loves to snack on cashews, and often eats two or three huge handfuls in a single snacking session. He has some weight to lose, but not nearly as much as me. However my weight has been steadily declining over the last month and his has stayed the same.

Today, with his permission, I divvied up a whole bag of cashews into 1 serving and 1.5 serving snack bags. He was shocked to see how small a single serving looked. We decided that he was easily eating 600 calories worth of cashews a day. That's the equivalent of a gourmet bacon cheeseburger at one of our favorite restaurants!

I thought that it was a wonderful break-through success until he went to walk out of the kitchen and said sadly "I don't know if they're still appetizing after that."

Even if the single-servings go unsnacked, I'm happy to have discovered a major road block for him!

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Well done! It's not easy at the outset to understand just how little we need compared to what we're used to having.
  • wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I love cashews too. I am glad you posted that too. I did not know how much I was eating. They are so addictive you just can't eat one.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it is disappointing when you see how much some food costs in terms of calories. and sometimes the food just doesn't seem as worth it
  • smittybobitty917
    smittybobitty917 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Chalk up another win for the food scale! I still get sad when I see what 28g of mixed nuts looks like.
  • xBabyLlamaDrama
    xBabyLlamaDrama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's hard. People always say "almonds are great for you," etc. etc. Nutritionally, yes, but nuts (as well as trail mix, things of that nature) are loaded in calories and can be more detrimental to a diet than helpful if not portioned correctly. Good job on your discovery for him! I've given up a few foods that I really enjoy just because I can't justify the calorie vs taste ratio.
  • jsjzisj
    jsjzisj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    whee1234 wrote: »
    9023mkwopi3u.jpg

"I don't know if they're still appetizing after that."

That was a huge breakthrough for me.... realizing that some foods just are NOT worth it.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you didn't title this "My husband's nuts"
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Where are you getting a gourmet bacon cheeseburger for 600 calories? Sign me up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same. lol.
  • whee1234
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I was thinking the same. lol.

I honestly considered it. But cashews are seeds so it wouldn't have been accurate. ;)
  • whee1234
    Options
    Where are you getting a gourmet bacon cheeseburger for 600 calories? Sign me up.

We went to this place called BurgerFi. They've got some burgers for around 650. And if you build your own you can do it for less than that!
  • whee1234
    Options
    wonna13 wrote: »
    I love cashews too. I am glad you posted that too. I did not know how much I was eating. They are so addictive you just can't eat one.

Now he eats one bag a day. Very slowly.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    At least they are good calories for you =) better than that bacon cheeseburger you mention! Seeing a portion of nuts is always a shock! Good for you both!
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I started weighing my Mom's food for her it was pretty priceless to see the look on her face when I portioned out some nuts for her. Having a scale is definitely sobering!
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Right, I was expecting a different topic and went "ohhhh, those cashews"...
    :/
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    whee1234 wrote: »

We went to this place called BurgerFi. They've got some burgers for around 650. And if you build your own you can do it for less than that!

I love burgerfi. That 650 calorie burger is more satisfying that any other 1200 calorie burger I have had :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!