Going out with friends

Options
kaysday
kaysday Posts: 256 Member
Well I'm in my 20's with no children as of yet, so I occasionally (maybe more) lol like to go out with friends. I may go to bars and lounges as well as a few restaurants. The restaurants are not my issue because I can always substitute a healthier alternative. My question is... If you are going out drinking (socially) what are a few healthier alternative cocktails just so that I am not sipping water all night. I do understand that alcohol is not A healthy choice but was just asking for better caloric selections.

I just started on my weight loss goals about 3 weeks ago and am doing quite well. I also don't want to end the "going out" sessions with my friends. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Replies

• pixtaker
    pixtaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Laphroaig Scotch Whisky. If you don't like Scotch it's an even better excuse to order it because you won't want to drink it...and save you the empty calories ;-)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Club soda aka seltzer water. Maybe with lemon in it. I don't understand why people spend their calories on alcohol when they could have a nice juicy cheeseburger.
  • kaysday
    Options
    pixtaker wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Laphroaig Scotch Whisky. If you don't like Scotch it's an even better excuse to order it because you won't want to drink it...and save you the empty calories ;-)

Maybe (just maybe) I'll try it lol
  • kaysday
    Options
    Club soda aka seltzer water. Maybe with lemon in it. I don't understand why people spend their calories on alcohol when they could have a nice juicy cheeseburger.

Club soda with lemon is cool. I understand wasted calories are the last thing a person should do. Just taking me a tad bit longer tocgrow out of certain habits I suppose.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    i like cherry vodka and diet coke
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I like drinking white wine with some ice in it. The ice makes it last longer. I drink water in between and limit myself to only 2 drinks (but I'm also older, a mom, and very short, so take that with a grain of salt).
  • kaysday
    Options
    i like cherry vodka and diet coke

Oh that sounds really good actually
  • kaysday
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I like drinking white wine with some ice in it. The ice makes it last longer. I drink water in between and limit myself to only 2 drinks (but I'm also older, a mom, and very short, so take that with a grain of salt).

Limiting to two drinks with water in between is a nice idea
  • MCW3516
    MCW3516 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • kaysday
    Options
  • Haleycz496
    Haleycz496 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Cucumber vodka (or any flavor... Cucumber is just refreshing), with club soda, a splash of lemonade, and a lime! Pretty low cal!!!! And delish!!
  • jodienjayden
    jodienjayden Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic with lime! So good
  • poejegg
    poejegg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Gin and diet tonic with lime! So good

This is what I drink. So much easier on the calories than a beer, or in my case - cider.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Vodka in diet soda.
  • poejegg
    Options
    pixtaker wrote: »

Laphroaig is lovely. I had a bottle bought for me Christmas before last and was very disappointed not to get a repeat present last Christmas!
  • poejegg
    Options
    This from Nutracheck is fairly informative:
    With 7 calories per gram, the number of calories in alcohol is second only after fat (9 cals/g).

The calories in alcohol are metabolised first by the body, ahead of burning fat - which is not desirable if on a weight loss diet.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have had to seriously cut down my drinking in recent months due to medical problems, and although I do occasionally indulge (or, quite a lot when I was on holiday last week!), I have found that it does get easier. Everyone you go out with eventually gets used to you not drinking and you get pressurised less. I also find that offering to drive tends to get everyone off my case, as when they all get a lift home at the end of the night, they are all happy to buy me all the diet cokes I want! So, if you drive, I would recommend that :tongue:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually go for wine because I'm not a big fan of diet mixers, beer has too many calories and I tend to drink it faster, and I love wine. ::drinker::

Unless we're going for wings. Wings require beer. But if we're going for wings I've likely already thrown all thoughts of calories out the window.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I tend to only drink 2- I'm a light weight. If I"m drinking more than 2- I'm getting wasted and I don't care.

But. being said- I drink lots of water- like- an absurd amount when I go out- usually water to start- drink- water- more water- another drink- more water. and then if I"m really going ham- a 3rd drink and more water.

If I"m drinking way more- I have my own pitcher of water with a straw. I"m serious about my drinking hydration. LOL
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a margarita, I only drink one and then I turn to diet coke.