Walmart meat and veggies!

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    if it's convenient- then yeah. some of it's good- some of it's great- some of it's crap.

just shop like you would anywhere else.

This. I shop there all the time because it's next to the gym, and the next closest grocery store is a 20 minute drive in traffic.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I buy most things at Wal-mart including meat/veg. Meat is good and veggies are good. Of course, like anywhere, you want to look the veg over before taking it home. I would not buy a salad mix that I did not plan to eat same day/night.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Are tomatoes and beef sold at Walmart different somehow than what is sold at some other store? The same wholesaler may actually supply both stores.
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are tomatoes and beef sold at Walmart different somehow than what is sold at some other store? The same wholesaler may actually supply both stores.

It may be the same supplier, but it also may arrive at different locations at different times. Someone closer to the distributor will get fresher produce than those whose produce has to be shipped further. Just a thought.
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work in the bakery at a Canadian Walmart Supercentre. I buy almost all my groceries there because I get a lovely 10% discount and it's convenient. Sometimes the produce is crap but it's that way everywhere here because it's so far to ship. We have ridiculous cleaning standards, in comparison to the grocery store I worked in high school (RCSS if anyone cares). If you're not shopping at Walmart specifically because you think it's "dirty" then you're wrong. Also Walmart really isn't evil. I get paid more than minimum wage and get a profit share cheque.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I never buy meat at Walmart, I only buy it at Publix. At my Walmart all the meat is frozen and just stocked on the shelf. There is no 'fresh' meat at Walmart. At Publix they still have butcher's who cut the meat and will make packages and weights for whatever you want.

But their produce is fine. They have their own brand called Marketside and they have bags of washed precut fresh butternut squash, snap pea pods, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus and mixes of these. Carrots too I think but I don't really like carrots so I'm not sure.

They always have ripe avocados. Publix's avocados are always like bricks. But Publix has better tasting tomatoes. If I'm in Walmart for another reason I definitely will pick up produce if I need it.
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The Walmarts around here are hit or miss on meat and produce, but as others have mentioned, it's pretty obvious whether the produce isn't great (same as any grocery store). And the prices of eggs and milk and dairy are higher than the local grocery stores. If I need to stock up on frozen veggies, canned tuna, oats, condiments, things like that, the prices are usually the best.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    laursim1 wrote: »

It may be the same supplier, but it also may arrive at different locations at different times. Someone closer to the distributor will get fresher produce than those whose produce has to be shipped further. Just a thought.

These things do travel in refrigerated trucks but this is true. It deos make me ask though. Do you know where the distributors are in your area and do you choose the place you shop based on the proximity to said distributors? For all you know the wal mart could be 5 miles closer to the warehouse than Whole Foods or trader Joes. I honestly have never met anyone who chooses their shopping site based on this information.

As for Wal Mart. In the past I have done a lot of shopping there and found it to be fine. For me it isn't really an option since I have a lot of grocery store choices within 5 miles of my home, none of which happen to be wal mart.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    laursim1 wrote: »

Which would have nothing to do with if it's a walmart or not, just how close which store is to the distributor.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I personally don't go there (not a fan of their practices and I work for a competitor), but I don't see that it would be any worse off than other grocery stores.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I personally don't care for Walmart because of their business practices but as the saying goes "Beggars can't be choosers" & so I must shop there. I've only bought their 96/4 Ground Beef & found no problems with it but that was approximately 2 years ago. I recently went to buy Green Giant iceberg lettuce, they were all slimy; which was unusual & their garlic was filthy.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I tend to buy shelf stable stuff at walmart, that my local grocer doesnt carry/cant get in. I live in a rural community, so certain tinned/boxed items arent available locally, at all.

Off the top of my head- I stock up on fiber one cereal, canned vegetarian chili,rice cakes,veggie burgers/veggie dogs, sparkling water, my haircolor ;) etc.

At my local store I buy all my fresh food, and try to only drive up to the big walmart 1x a month. If you lived close to a big walmart, it might be worth it to shop there, but walmart tends to not run the types of sales a traditional grocer does, so you may end up spending more money than you have to.

ie- my local (and only) grocery store has a sale this week on yogurts, which are 10 cups for 4 dollars. I dont see those sorts of sales at the walmart.

• brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Walmart is the only place around me that I can find 90% lean 10% fat (or leaner) ground beef
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    We have a new Walmart Supercentre near us, and I find the produce can often be better in quality and price than Superstore. We grocery shop at either Walmart or Superstore, just depending on what end of town we're in. The meat at Walmart, however, is pretty bad from my experience. I won't buy it there anymore.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    The Wal-Mart where I live has consistently good produce and the cheapest price ($1.99/lb) for chicken breast. Beef is expensive everywhere, oddly enough for living in the midwest.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The produce at the Wal-Mart nearest to be me is crap. Even when it looks good, it tends to go bad more quickly than that purchased at other groceries. The meat is fine, but since there a Sam's Club in the same shopping center and it's even cheaper there, I rarely buy meat at Wal-Mart. Plus, Wal-Mart has very little seafood.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I wont...but just because they are ridiculously overpriced 99% of the time.
  • jsjzisj
    jsjzisj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Their produce is GREAT... their meat is awful and usually expires that very day or the next day
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I love super walmarts. I would compare to other stores but see nothing wrong with it
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    When I lived in the US, i'd rather chop my arm off than set my foot in that place.
    My places were the farmer's market, asian market, trader joe's and costco. Oh the $$$ I spent at Costco...