Protein Shakes

Options
Hello!

I would like to start adding a protein shake to my morning and have read that Whey Protein is the best (as opposed to soy and some other type). Can someone give me a "Protein Shakes for Dummies" version? Maybe some suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I like GNC's Amplified Wheybolic in Chocolate. Just add to skim milk or water. Nothing extra needed.
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too! I have been buying the special K protein shakes for a post workout snack.
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein (immediately after working out) and I love it. I usually mix a banana and vanilla soy milk in there too.

I have heard the whey being better too- but dont remember the logistics of it. Good luck!
  • Lucianna_D
    Lucianna_D Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Oh me too, I heard that Whey is better for you or Soy but I have no clue... So when you find out let me know...
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've been putting a scoop of whey protein (I've used Designer Whey and I just got Optimum Nutrition brand but haven't tried it) in my smoothies. I blend up a scoop of that, a cup of frozen fruit, and a cup of Trop50 juice and a bit of soy milk all together in my single serving blender (it was like $15). It makes it taste delicious. But you can also just blend some soy milk or almond milk with a scoop of protein powder and ice.

I don't like the shake by itself... i have to mix it with at least soy milk.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I use designer whey- found it at Wal Mart for a decent price. I mix in soy or almond milk, and 1 T cinnamon with the chocolate powder and it is yummy!
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use synthia-6 chocolate , I luv it!! I use a scoop of whey, 6 ice cubes, i cup water, and a banana, sometimes I put 1 TBS peanutbutter but I'm waiting on my pb2 to get here cause the fat in Peanutbutter can be high for me sometimes.
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Me and my partner both like body surpreme - he uses it to help with body building (muscles) where as I do for a boost in calories and protein
  • rachelstrickland
    rachelstrickland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Haha...I just posted a topic exactly like this..literally probably seconds apart! :) I'll keep an eye on yours too, thanks!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Recently I have been using a cup of the soy slender milk in cappuccino and a scoop of the biggest looser vanilla protein powder. It is AMAZING! tastes just like an iced coffee, goes down smooth and only 120 calories and lots of protein. I have also heard of blending the powder with strawberries and water. They all taste similar; I like the GNC brand ones quite a bit, however some are a meal replacement and some are a low calorie way to get protein. You have to decide which route you want to go.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I use Beachbody's Vanilla Whey Protein. I put it in the blender with 1 cup of light vanilla silk and a handful of strawberries. If I want it more like a milkshake I'll throw in some ice cubes. Easy and delish!
  • agulledge32
    Options
    I did the P90X workout program they had in the program for us to mix 1 (or 1 1/2) scoops of whey protein powder, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cups of blueberries (or any type of berries you like), and 1 cup of skim milk. Blend them in a blender with a little ice if you like and drink.

I didn't like the banana in it so I took it out but I loved it. The whey powder that I bought was from GNC and vanilla flavored. It was like $20 for the big container. It would be like 30-40 grams of protein.
  • rustymcintyre
    Options
    The type of protein depends in part on what you are looking for, and what your gender is (supposedly). As for what you are looking for, Whey is generally a great recovery or protein additive to your diet. For post workouts, whey is very nice as it is absorbed (digested) very quickly and thus helps strained muscle fibers to recover. As it is a great form of protein it is also really good as a suppliment for those that might wish to add more protein to their diet.

Soy is useful as it is absorbed a bit more slowly over time, and thus has been suggested to make you feel satisfied for a longer period of time. Some have argued, however, that high soy intact may lead to some undesireable side effects in men as soy products in men have been known to stimulate estrogen production leading to what might be described as "moobs." I am unaware of actual tests of this and whether or not you'd really need to ingest a ton of soy or not.

Many of the shakes and protein bars, however, are often a blend of the two types.
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I use GNC ProAMp 60 Whey protein powder. ( like the chocolate) I blend it in my magic bullet with water and a frozen banana...tastes like a milk shake!!!

I am going to try GNC Pro Performance 100 % Whey in Chocolate Caramel next though!!! mmmmm!
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Whey protein digest the fastest
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not that I mind responding to questions--everyone here is very good about that. BUT, this topic has been addressed at least 6 times in other thread. Try searching before you post. :-)

I previously posted my (excellent) recipe for a smoothie here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/237975-protein-shakes-if-so-which-one

and here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165212-filling-breakfast-ideas-need-em

Enjoy!
  • HungryTuna
    HungryTuna Posts: 141
    Options
    I actually prefer Raw Protein by Garden of Life in my morning shakes /postworkout shakes.
    I blend 1 scoop with unsweetened almond or soy milk, 1 banana, and any veggies & other fruits of my choice based on what's in the fridge. I always add 1 packet of Stevia (in the raw) if using veggies, cause eww. LOL

Here's a great link for reference: http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-RAW-Protein-Beyond-Organic-Protein-Formula-622-g/22343?at=0

Few highlights:
    Excellent Source of Protein from Raw Organic Sprouts
    18g protein per serving
    USDA Organic
    Vegan
    Gluten Free
    Dairy Free
    No Soy Allergens

Have fun and experiment!
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use a scoop of whey protein, a cup of vanilla yogurt, a cup of dark chocolate almond, a splash of peppermint extract and 6 ice cubes. I make it right after my workout. This is actually 2 servings but most days I am running low on calories and it is only 230 so I just drink the whole thing.