Yoga for hip pain?

Options
So I've lost a total of 46 pounds so far by only walking on the treadmil. But my hips are staring to bother me pretty bad. Just on a daily basis, not while I'm using the treadmil. Have any of you used yoga for something like that? Did it work or make things worse?
Or am I just way out in left field? :-) I've never even done yoga before. I've always wanted to but felt I needed to lose a little more weight before I tried. I think I can give it a try now.

Replies

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Yes. I started doing yoga specifically for hip mobility and it helped tremendously.
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    A good yoga studio will provide appropriate instruction for all skill levels.
  • i_miss_me
    i_miss_me Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Yes. I started doing yoga specifically for hip mobility and it helped tremendously.
    Congrats on your weight loss!
    A good yoga studio will provide appropriate instruction for all skill levels.

Thanks. I'm glad it helped you. I'll probably have to do it from home. Maybe I can find a few videos on YouTube or something.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Lots of great youtube yoga options.
    http://www.yogiapproved.com/yoga/10-great-youtube-channels-for-free-yoga-videos/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayla-matthews/9-great-yoga-youtube-channels_b_6737360.html
    http://yogawithadriene.com/
    I think the important thing is to find someone who has a soothing voice. I don't care how good the poses and flow are, some people's tone is too distracting.
  • i_miss_me
    Options
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Lots of great youtube yoga options.
    http://www.yogiapproved.com/yoga/10-great-youtube-channels-for-free-yoga-videos/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kayla-matthews/9-great-yoga-youtube-channels_b_6737360.html
    http://yogawithadriene.com/
    I think the important thing is to find someone who has a soothing voice. I don't care how good the poses and flow are, some people's tone is too distracting.

Awe, thanks.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I use yoga to help with hip and knee pain and it works. I do suggest you start at a good studio with a pro to ensure you're in the proper position. Once you get the feel of the proper form, you can do stuff at home with no problem.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    All of the above! Yoga is great for joint mobility which helps in joint health. I practice yoga almost daily and I started for hip, shoulder and back mobility. It really does help.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I have overall joint issues and started doing yoga. It helps me a lot.
    I do too also recommend going to a studio for a little while so you learn proper positioning. this will assure that you get the most of your practice and avoid injury and possibly make things worse
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I have overall joint issues and started doing yoga. It helps me a lot.
    I do too also recommend going to a studio for a little while so you learn proper positioning. this will assure that you get the most of your practice and avoid injury and possibly make things worse

I agree!
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree find the right yoga studio to start. Mine even has a restorative class along with a class for beginners. Good luck I love yoga and go 1x a week for strength and flexibility as well as relaxation.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Yoga pretty much cured my hip bursitis. We use a yoga programme on the wii.
  • i_miss_me
    Options
    All of the above! Yoga is great for joint mobility which helps in joint health. I practice yoga almost daily and I started for hip, shoulder and back mobility. It really does help.

Are there certain poses that are better for hips or just yoga in general?
  • Giolis
    Giolis Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    OP you should lay off of the treadmill for a while. The repetitive movement from the treadmill will cause hip pain. if you can walk outside, the varying terrain, not walking at a preset speed and direction will be much better for your hips. Also, make sure you have shoes with good support.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    As well as yoga, have a look at aqua fit it is excellent for joint problems and mobility.
    Just a thought.

Cheers, h.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    i_miss_me wrote: »
    So I've lost a total of 46 pounds so far by only walking on the treadmil. But my hips are staring to bother me pretty bad. Just on a daily basis, not while I'm using the treadmil. Have any of you used yoga for something like that? Did it work or make things worse?
    Or am I just way out in left field? :-)

Left field is not a bad place to be if the ball is going there. B)

If you don't find relief in yoga/stretching after a few sessions, i'd see a physical therapist or a sports doctor. You may have gait issues or muscle imbalances, so a professional assessment could help. Until then.. it's not good to work through joint pain. ;)

Which shoes do you walk in? Shoes with a raised heel (most shoes) can worsen hip pain.
  • XavierNusum
    Options

Are there certain poses that are better for hips or just yoga in general?

Yoga in general. Anything that increases flexibility in hips and ankles which could be the cause of the impact hip pain.
  • retinahooks
    retinahooks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Or am I just way out in left field? :-) I've never even done yoga before. I've always wanted to but felt I needed to lose a little more weight before I tried. I think I can give it a try now.

• retinahooks
    retinahooks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics.

• clairenicole84
    clairenicole84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I was having really bad hip and lower back pain last year. I got a personal trainer and she said that we needed to slowly strengthen those muscles, and after a few months, I no longer have any hip pain at all. It was totally worth it to spend the money for a professional to help me.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    I was having really bad hip and lower back pain last year. I got a personal trainer and she said that we needed to slowly strengthen those muscles, and after a few months, I no longer have any hip pain at all. It was totally worth it to spend the money for a professional to help me.

Which muscles did she have you working on?? I'm just curious.
  • sarahcjacques
    sarahcjacques Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For the past month, I have been using yoga to help with hip pain and increase flexibility. At the moment I have found it's increased the pain, however I have seen my dr, who thinks I need to continue with yoga (the yoga teacher agrees), and hopefully it will improve in time, although I've also got to have X-rays and physiotherapy. I've been doing hot yoga, and the heat definitely helps with flexibility!