Protein Shakes

Options
Does anyone know of a low calorie, low sugar, plenty-of-nutriets-but-also-tastes-good protein shake? I'd like to incorporate one into my diet but it seems that every one I find that is pre-packaged has a high amount of sugar and/or calories. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you! :)

Replies

• kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    The brand I have is allmax. i believe that there isn't any sugar in it and there is a lot of protein!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    I used to do Vega shakes religiously, but it tore up my stomach even without allergens. Perhaps it was the iron content?

Tried Raw Meal and got through the entire canister. I felt great, but the taste is not favorable.

So now I go back and fourth between rice protein and hemp protein (but if it's too high in fiber, then it's pretty much just a fiber more than it is a protein shake).

Best of luck - are you using this as a protein supplement or a meal replacement?
  • Aliciakay252
    Options
    Yes!! EAS brand - Carb Control!! 110 cal, 3 g fat, 2 g Carbs, 17 g pro. and they taste good!! My favorite is the vanilla, but they also have strawberry, caramel, chocolate fudge, and dark chocolate.
  • meganc813
    meganc813 Posts: 5
    Options
    myo fusion chocolate by gaspari nutrition you can find it on bodybuilding.com its cheaper than getting it from gnc or vitamin world! its fantastic! one scoop has 25 grams of protein. it even tastes good mixed with water... i add 6-8oz of water to my blender... add ice... a scoop of protein and a tablespoon of almond butter for a mean replacer! its awesome....
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have been buying the Atkins Advantage Vanilla Shakes, they are premade and have low carb/sugar and I think they taste really good, but the protein is only 15 grams (has 160 calories). I get 4 packs for $5 at Big Lots.
  • meganc813
    meganc813 Posts: 5
    Options
    andi forgot.. it only has 147 calories per scoop!
  • Aliciakay252
    Options
    $4.24 for a 4 pack. So they are cheap too! (Wal-mart price)
  • cakenpaint
    Options
    I use Herbalife protein shakes. they come in great flavors, taste great. My favorites are vanilla and chocolate because you can "doctor" them up if you want to change things up a bit.
    2 scoops of vanilla shake mix : 90 calories, 1g fat, 13g carb, 3g fiber, 9g sugar, 9g protein. that's just in the mix, add skim milk to it, and of course it goes up.
    HTH
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein - 100% Whey Protein - Cookies & Creme.. Bought it at Target at a very reasonable price....around $13. It gives you 25 g of protein in each scoop, only 130 calories, 2.5 g fat, 3 g carbs, 1 g fiber......I mix with ice and Silk Light....This is a very low cal option with a big burst of protein.....also I add instant coffee for a morning pick me up shake....but the cookies and cream flavor is great....Thinking about adding some cocoa powder and have an oreo cookie shake....
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make green smoothies with a low carb, no sugar added protein powder. I copy and pasted the following from my diary today:

Spinach - Raw, 89 g (20cal 3 carb 0 fat 3 prot 70 sod. 2 fiber)
    So Delicious - Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage, 0.6 cup (30 cal 1 carb 3 fat 1 prot 9 sod. 0 fiber)
    Greens Organics - Amazon Chocolate Drink Mix, 1 package (8g) (25 cal 5 carb 0 fat 2 prot 12 sod 1 fib)
    Blueberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 164 g (84 cal 20 carb 1 fat 1 prot 2 sod 4 fiber)
    Mrm 100% All Natural Whey Protein Powder - Rich Vanilla, 1 scoop (approx. 24.3 grams) (87 cal 2 carb 1 fat 18 prot 40 sod 0 fiber)
    Strawberries - Frozen, unsweetened, 200 g (70 cal 18 carb 0 fat 1 prot 4 sod 4 fib)
    Totals: 316 cal. 49 carbs 5 fat 26 prot. 137 sod. 11 fiber

Of course you can vary the numbers by using different fruits and stuff.
  • sof25
    sof25 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just finished my shake! I like the Muscle Milk 100 calorie in Chocolate. 100 calories/2.5 fat/ 5 carbs/ 15 protein/ 0 sugar for 8.25oz. They also come in larger sizes, but this is one of my 'snacks' so i keep it small. Good luck...let us know what you find, maybe I'm drinking the wrong one!
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    i have pure protein 100% whey powder, that is i think 140 calories, but i usually make it with one scoop, 1% milk, or almond milk, banana, and peanut butter, or i will put frozen strawberries or blueberries in it...its pretty tasty!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    myo fusion chocolate by gaspari nutrition you can find it on bodybuilding.com its cheaper than getting it from gnc or vitamin world! its fantastic! one scoop has 25 grams of protein. it even tastes good mixed with water... i add 6-8oz of water to my blender... add ice... a scoop of protein and a tablespoon of almond butter for a mean replacer! its awesome....

this (the banana is awesome too)...or xtreme formulations is another great brand
  • ShrinkingStephanie
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition Whey Gold Standard. I really believe its the best in terms of taste and nutrition. No grit, easily dissolved and very versatile. Only 120 calories and 24 grams of protein! I make shakes and smoothies out of it with water, juice or milk. Monday I mixed the vanilla with low sugar OJ and it tasted like an orange creamsicle! I mix it in Greek yogurt. I make pancakes out of it. You name it, I've even added it to homemade frozen yogurt. Its consistently delicious!

I get mine at The Vitamin Shoppe, but they sell it many places:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=FcX&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=optimum+nutrition+whey+gold+standard&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1032&bih=646&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2955001576052814873&sa=X&ei=GpfmTYKhJs3AtgexysjjCg&ved=0CEMQ8wIwAw
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Not that I mind responding to questions--everyone here is very good about that. BUT, this topic has been addressed at least 6 times in other thread. Try searching before you post. :-)

I previously posted my (excellent) recipe for a smoothie here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/237975-protein-shakes-if-so-which-one

and here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/165212-filling-breakfast-ideas-need-em

Enjoy!
  • rachelstrickland
    rachelstrickland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Then don't bother responding...
    Sometimes it's easier to post a new one than research through the thousands of posts. Thanks!
  • ColbyMDixon
    Options
    Paul uses the 100% Whey stuff...don't use Muscle Milk though. I did and told Megan and she had just read an article that it is really bad for you....Paul also confirmed it!
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Vanilla and then I add strawberries. Very yummy
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use Designer Whey French Vanilla Protein Powder. Per scoop: 100 cal, 2 fat, 3 carb. It's the lowest calorie one that I have found in stores near me.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Then don't bother responding...
    Sometimes it's easier to post a new one than research through the thousands of posts. Thanks!

No need for the snarkiness. The point is simple and common throughout the Interwebs. Search before posting. Many people have posted thoughtful and helpful explanations previously. Take advantage of that available information.