How to lose weight...

Options
I have tried stop eating bread and rice ...I am going to the gym and walking on the treadmil and riding the bike but I seem to be stuck in the 170 s ...I drink a gallon a day based on this I am not eating enough I am not sure what I am doing wrong....any suggestions or ideas would really appreciate it

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Are you counting calories?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    No need to stop eating bread and rice - I still consume both and have had success.

Basically it's really just a matter of calories in, calories out, and eating a little bit less than what your body burns all day long in a 24 hour period. Exercise helps, and allows you to consume more cals for fuel, but isn't necessary or the magic part of weight loss, it's calories, and eating the proper number of cals for your stats (M/F, age, height, current weight, activity level). You want to be nourished and well-fueled for daily life and exercise if you include it, but without going over that total daily burn number, or your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

No special diets, no taboo foods, no magic anything, it's just learning to eat the foods you enjoy in the right amounts. You want to learn habits that you can stick to for life, right - otherwise you "diet", lose some weight, then crash and burn because it's difficult to stick to, you have no energy from not eating enough, or are disappointed because you're not meeting some unreasonable goals you may have set.

Sustainable weight loss, or even better FAT loss, comes from being in a moderate calorie deficit, getting some exercise, preferably some form of strength or resistance training, drinking plenty of fluids, and getting good sleep.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,202 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me ...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Machka9/view/what-has-worked-for-me-at-mfp-757858

I've dropped 17 kg since mid-Feb doing exactly what I talk about in my blog. :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You don't need to take anything out of your diet. Definitely start counting calories... That is the most important
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    To be honest I have lost weight app 57 lbs, without drinking much water, just counting calories and barely exercising. I never cut out any food, infact I just ate a cupcake.
  • cupcakesplz
    cupcakesplz Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    To be honest I have lost weight app 57 lbs, without drinking much water, just counting calories and barely exercising. I never cut out any food, infact I just ate a cupcake.

Hehe this made me laugh!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MFP%20Flowchart%20lemonlionheart_zps3s3xqead.jpg
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out certain food groups, just count calories and count them as accurately as possible and you will lose.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only reason to cut out a type of food is if you find that you have trouble limiting how much you eat of it. If you eat one potato chip and that turns into eating a whole bag of chips, you might want to avoid them altogether. But all that is really required for weight loss is that you eat fewer calories than you burn.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "I am not eating enough" + "I am not losing weight" = You. Are. Confused.
  • mskemesha28
    mskemesha28 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Thank you all ....
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    If you don't have anything interesting or helpful I suggest please don't say anything at all thank you ....

There weren't any replies that weren't helpful.
  • mskemesha28
    Options
    Sorry I thought I was replying to a guy that sent a reply to me
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering what kind of difference walking on a treadmill vs walking outdoors is? Treadmills kill my feet and my knees, and is way less gratifying than walking outdoors. I feel like treadmills propel me, and seems like I have to go farther on the machine than I do outside. Is that a thing, or am I just making this up in my head... lol
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to weigh your food and make sure your are logging everything. Additionally, if you decide to eat exercise calories be extremely conservative, you probably feel like you burned more calories than you actually did.

In general people tend to underestimate the calories they are eating by overestimating the portion sizes. You may feel like you're not eating much, but if you're quantities are off by a little then your daily calculations could be off by quite a bit.

Unless you have something physiologically wrong, a calorie deficit will result in weight loss regardless of exercise, water consumption, etc. The rest is to increase your general health, and to help build strong habits around food and fitness.
  • mskemesha28
    Options
    I think walking outside better but since I am in paying for the gym I figure why not use up all my moneys worth lol....

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sorry I thought I was replying to a guy that sent a reply to me

Please remember: Just because you disagree with someones info. or it is not useful to you, does not always mean it isn't solid advice.

On that note, all of the above is good info., Good Luck!
  • ffwang82
    ffwang82 Posts: 20 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Counting calories. For example, you can eat 3 big mac for 1800 cal and starve for the rest of the day. Or eat balanced meal with 1800 cal with less hunger.

For me, I am Asian, so I do white rice as my main carb source. I do 150-180g carb, 150g protein, 90g fat. So approximately 2100-2200 cal per day during my weight losing phase after I've been bulked muscle for 6 months.

Don't follow any diet which you dislike, for example low carb Atkin, Keto which gives people brain fog. As long as a person is not diabetic, don't give up carb.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    I was just wondering what kind of difference walking on a treadmill vs walking outdoors is? Treadmills kill my feet and my knees, and is way less gratifying than walking outdoors. I feel like treadmills propel me, and seems like I have to go farther on the machine than I do outside. Is that a thing, or am I just making this up in my head... lol

I too prefer walking outside. The varied terrain in walking outside works muscles in ways that a treadmill can only imitate. I only do the treadmill when the weather makes it uncomfortable to walk outside. I don't mind a gentle rain, but I draw the line at ice or hot/humid. In my climate that equates to about two month each in summer and winter.