health issues & 90 lbs to lose- hoping to find people who can identify

Options
I've been fighting my weight for 30 years & just got diagnosed with diabetes. I need to try something different and I'm hoping this will provide some support and accountability. I have 90 lbs to lose & a number of health problems, some of which limit my mobility/exercise (ddd, lumbar stenosis) & some related to the weight (hs, pcos & now diabetes). I'm going through phases of hopelessness & confidence, sometimes in the same hour. My husband is doing this with me, but he only has a relatively recent 30 lbs to lose & can't really relate to the emotional and psychological struggle I'm feeling.

Replies

• flgirl1980
    flgirl1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I have about 120 lbs to lose and am recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I've been told if I don't lose weight and change my diet that I will become diabetic. Along with that I suffer from chronic back and knee pain. The diabetes thing has me really scared. I've completely changed the way I eat and have only been eating meat, fresh vegetables, fresh fruit and whole wheat bread. It has now been 17 days since I've had any soda, fast food, candy, junk food, potatoes, pasta, or white bread. Now I know I'm probably going to eat some of this at some point down the road, but I'm going to hold off as long as possible. People close to me told me I am crazy for saying this but every time I start to think about eating unhealthy foods I ask myself if it's worth 5 minutes of satisfaction to have to sick myself with needles for the rest of my life. The answer has been NO for the past 17 days.
    I think if you find what motivation factor works for you then you WILL be able to make the changes necessary for your health. You got this!!!!
  • DonovanGypsy
    DonovanGypsy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of it is my current motivation :) I didn't get a prediabetes warning (& every new dr checks because of the weight) & I don't have much of a sweet tooth, so it came as a surprise. My weakness has always been starchy & fried foods, so I've cut them out, & I'm trying to eat throughout the day instead of a single big meal shortly before bed. You're right, it really is one day at a time. I am trying to exercise, but my body doesn't always want to play along. I'm hoping to lose some weight through diet alone & then really get into it, once there is some pressure off my back. I'm not completely sure if I'm giving myself an excuse to not work out beyond PT stuff or if it's a valid reason.
  • Tabby1980
    Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello - I've got a large amount to loose too and also, due to various health problems, can't exercise a lot - I'm also hoping that loosing weight will help improve my health so I'm more mobile and then it will get a bit easier. I'm pretty proud of myself for resisting the temptation of naughty snacks at work this week, I find the more you say no the easier it gets :D Happy to add you guys as friends for some motivation and support :)
  • tammyallenstetler
    tammyallenstetler Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sent you all requests. I know exactly how hard it is.
  • Cbaker5156
    Cbaker5156 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm a 48yo disabled with chronic back pain and just got diagnosed with Diabetes type 2 also. All encouragement and ideas are welcomed.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I got 60lbs to loose still, after shedding nearly 50 already. Just downloaded the app to help me reach my goal. Feel free to add me guys. Was diagnosed as gluten intolerant last year, which has been great "fun" as I seem to get more and more intolerant. Loosing was hard to start off with, but getting even harder now, even though I have changed so many of my habits.
  • rainbowgoddess73
    rainbowgoddess73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have 90lb to lose exactly - and it's been a challenge to lose the 20 I've already shed. The good news is that you'll start to feel so much better as the weight comes off. I can now walk further without getting winded and my lower back pain is gone. I indulge in the occasional treat now and then and enjoy nightly 100 calorie Julie's ice cream bars. I bet they have sugar free ones too. :-) You'll get there kiddo! We all will.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    It does not get any easier to loose the weight, but I am finding that the fun bit apart from getting fitter is shopping for new outfits and throwing out clothes that are too large. I have a treat day, where I do not go overboard but I can indulge myself in whatever I fancy, that way I do not really feel deprived, I know when treat days comes I can have whatever I like. So far that seems to work pretty well for me.
  • Badshahrules
    Badshahrules Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    HI Everybody! Please feel free to add me as friend! I was on blood pressure medication with back issues, arthritis, and asthma. So far I have lost 20 lbs (in 4 months). The doctor took me off of my bp medication because my bp was too low, I havent had an asthma attack in 2 months. I have not exercised at all.... just watching my diet like a ninja! Cutting all of the crap out! I will be here for a long time, I have a lot of weight to lose and MFP is literally saving my life! I am just now feeling like I want to try exercising.
  • rhontique
    rhontique Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have about 130 lbs that need to GO!! I also have some health issues related to the excess weight that I am hoping to relieve. I would love to be a fitness friend!
  • AnnaEdwards3
    AnnaEdwards3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Oh I do SO identify. I am a 63 year old grandmother with type 2 diabetes (for about 10 years), Atrial Fibrilllation and arthritis. I have had mobility issues for several years due to the pain in my lower back and knees. I probably need to lose about 100 pounds to get to a normal weight, but if I can get to 200 (about 50 pounds to go) I'll be pleased. I have lost 22 pounds in 5 months and it is HARD. My diet of choice is the low carb route and it is working for me. I have had success exercising with a recumbent bike, but am thinking I need to kick it up a notch with some light weights and resistance bands. Even just losing 22 pounds I have found that I am feeling better and have less pain in my back and knees and can walk further. Sometimes I feel depressed that I didn't take this path years ago (I have been over weight most of my adult life), but you just have to shake it off and keep on point.
  • Meghan_Mac87
    Meghan_Mac87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is the discussion forum for me! I have been heavy my entire life, and you can blame your upbringing for only so long until it becomes YOUR choice to remain over weight and unhealthy. I am currently 235lbs, I've lost 5 lbs in the past 2 weeks. in 2012 I love 30lbs! (my lowest weight ever) and some how, as it always does, it crept back on. Now that i'm reaching my 30's, and I think about having children someday, I NEED and WANT to make a change. I've been going to the gym 3x a week and feel so tired and sore and LOVE it. I'm eating well, making great choices (most of the time). If I have a bad weekend (like last weekend) I get mad at myself, feel bloated and sick with all the greasy fatty foods in my body, but then I decide it's not the end of the world- and I get back to what I really need - the veggies, lean meats, fruits, etc.

I know that we can all do this - especially if you learn to accept the small set-backs and mistakes, and just keep on going. I'd love to have some more friends on here, it's helpful having a support system with ladies and gents that totally get what it's like to be sick of being unhealthy.

Great reading all of your posts, you give me motivation!

-Meg =)
    (Living in Ontario, Canada)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I am pre-diabetic. I have had 6 surgeries in under 12 years. I had done very well and was on the right track having reduced my number from 6 to 5 but then, I had a house fire in May which derailed most of my hard work. I lived in a hotel for three months and had takeout for every meal. I am back on track and feeling better. I would love to have some friends who are dealing with health issues while trying to get healthier.
  • donna_davies_cakes
    Options
    Hi , i have osteoarthritis in both my knee's , can't walk with out my crutches , find a gym that caters to your needs and abilities, I'm lucky the gym I go to are great, have lost 1stone so far , aiming for 4 by next May , stick with it you will get their
  • Losing150poundsbitches
    Options
    115lb to lose here!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You'll find so much support, advice and understanding here - don't be afraid to reach out.
    You can do this - wishing you the very best of luck and success :)
  • BrooklynApple88
    BrooklynApple88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey, ladies! Would love to offer support! Please, feel free to add me! :)
  • Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!
    I've lost about 120lbs so far, unfortunately I gained 40 back. And i'm on the journey to kick *kitten* again! It seems like all of you are ready to do the same! I'd love for some of us to be friends =D