How many grams of peaches is 5 cups?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I'm making a peach pie tomorrow and the recipe calls for 5 cups. Seriously, why? I read all the comments too and nobody's mentioned how many peaches they actually used.

How many grams is it? I can just see myself slicing the peaches and trying to make them fit in a cup to measure properly. What a pain...

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Are you using the squishy peaches or the firm. I could probably cram a lot more of the overripe peaches into a cup than the more firm ones. That'd probably affect the weight too.

Sorry I haven't got an answer though as to the # of peaches... A pie sounds delicious though.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Most recipes in the US are like this. If you make an apple pie, they tell you how many apples (and what size). We don't do grams here (well, I work in a lab, and I definitely do grams there :)).
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Did you google it? If you find a book (or e-book passage) from a culinary school I bet you can find the answer. I took a cooking class in my dietetics program and the textbook had tons of conversions like this. If I could find it i would look it up for you
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    As a loose estimate, I'd guess about 1 peach per cup assuming the large-ish peaches from the grocery store. For smaller farm peaches, add a couple extra. If it their you what size push to use if cut enough to fill that 2/3s to 3/4 up to leave room for the topping\crust.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, 1 cup sliced, raw peaches = 154g (60 kcal).
    Reference:
    ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2356

Edited to add:
    According to King Arthur Flour, 1 cup diced, raw peaches = 170g.
    Reference:
    kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    For the purpose of making a tasty pie, you can eyeball your peach measurement. For the purpose of knowing how many calories are in your pie, I would recommend weighing the peaches you use in your pie and entering by grams into the recipe builder.

Good luck with your pie. I tend to find the crust more intimidating than the filling.

Edit: I checked the nutrition information on MFP for 5 cups of sliced peaches - 300 calories. Fiddling with the 100 gram serving size option, it takes 7.7 x 100 gram servings to equal 300 calories, so 5 cups of peaches is about 770 grams. Cool?
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    In the "know your ingredients" appendix of the Joy of Cooking it says 1 lb. or 3 medium or 2 large peaches yield 1 1/2 to 2 cups sliced or a scant 2 1/2 cups chopped.

A good, big, fat, old fashioned, non-specialized, unendorsed by celebrity chefs, cookbook was like the kitchen encyclopedia and reference manual in the pre-internet days and I still like them pretty well.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Depending on if they are small or large, I'd start with six larger ones and then eyeball it once you've got it in the pot. Remember, it's better to have slightly too much filling that you can leave out of the pie, too little will be very upsetting.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's a pie. Cut enough to fill the pie crust and then some. Boom. Done.

Over thinking it. You're doing it.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    In the "know your ingredients" appendix of the Joy of Cooking it says 1 lb. or 3 medium or 2 large peaches yield 1 1/2 to 2 cups sliced or a scant 2 1/2 cups chopped.

Typo? It can't possibly be correct that 1 lb of peaches will occupy more volume if they are chopped than if they are sliced (chopped = smaller pieces than sliced).
  • Francl27
    Options
    Thank, that was helpful!
  • OldHobo
    Options

Typo? It can't possibly be correct that 1 lb of peaches will occupy more volume if they are chopped than if they are sliced (chopped = smaller pieces than sliced).

Why Lynn? Seems reasonable to me.

I did check though to make sure I didn't typo. Not guilty.

Consider salt. Ordinary table salt is a lot finer grain (smaller pieces) than course kosher salt. It's common knowledge that table salt weighs more than kosher.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Consider salt. Ordinary table salt is a lot finer grain (smaller pieces) than course kosher salt. It's common knowledge that table salt weighs more than kosher.

Yes, but equal weights of salt will show that the table salt takes up less room. The peaches ought to be the same. I think the typo is in the cookbook.

• Francl27
    Options
    I ended up using 638g (that was 8 peaches I think?) and it turned out perfect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    my rule of thumb for stuff like this with fruit and veg is 85 grams per 1/2 cup...so 170 grams or 6 ounces.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    It's a pie. Cut enough to fill the pie crust and then some. Boom. Done.

Over thinking it. You're doing it.

Basically, this. You can weigh the peaches if you are looking to track the calories per serving of the pie, but home made fruit pie fillings are not usually an exact science. Its not like baking doughy things where the chemistry is going to change based on the proportions of the ingredients.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm making a peach pie tomorrow and the recipe calls for 5 cups. Seriously, why? I read all the comments too and nobody's mentioned how many peaches they actually used.

How many grams is it? I can just see myself slicing the peaches and trying to make them fit in a cup to measure properly. What a pain...

It all depends on the peaches, the type of pie plate you are using (some are deeper than others), how coarse you cut your peaches, how high you pile the fruit in the plate. I don't do peaches but I use 6-8 apples to make a 9" regular depth pie. Granted, peaches have more waste (big pit as opposed to an apple core) so you may need more.

I would start with slicing the peaches into a pie plate with no crust, then transfer them to a bowl and weigh them then. You can put them back into the pie plate after making the crust. It also helps to toss the fruit with the sugar and spices in the bowl before filling the crust.

• OldHobo
    Options

Yes, but equal weights of salt will show that the table salt takes up less room. The peaches ought to be the same. I think the typo is in the cookbook.

Of course, table salt takes up less room is just another way of saying it's heavier. I was looking at it inside out I guess.

But... granted a small dice (or grain) will always take up less room than a large dice. Does it necessarily follow that even though the pieces are smaller, a dice, or chop, takes up less room than slices?

Imagine measuring the volume of a big bowl of sliced peaches. Now imagine cutting each slice into 8 pieces and measuring the volume again. Clearly the volume would increase after you chopped up the slices. Right?
  • Francl27
    Options
    And this thread is a perfect example of why I HATE when recipes use cups. It's just so aggravating.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

You have it backward. Chopped up there will be less air spaces between pieces than sliced so volume for volume chopped will weigh more than sliced.

OldHobo wrote:
    Imagine measuring the volume of a big bowl of sliced peaches. Now imagine cutting each slice into 8 pieces and measuring the volume again. Clearly the volume would increase after you chopped up the slices. Right?

Wrong. It will take up less volume. Again less air between smaller pieces that have the same density means the same weight over a smaller area.