How do you keep your sodium level low???

Options
So I am just wondering what do you eat to keep your sodium level low. Most of the time I do not go over my sodium level but I had seen some peoples diaries whose level is like in the 500's or just below the 1000 how do you do it? what types of foods are you eating?

Replies

• HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I think they eat their food upside down ... so it all falls out ... :)

I have no clue! I'm happy if I get it under 2000mg!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    fresh foods. ive never had a problem with it but i guess i dont eat ready meals/sauces or add salt to anything
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to stay away from processed foods. Anything that comes in a can or box has salt added to it. This includes things like cereal and diet soda.

Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, and drink plenty of water.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    eat fresh foods! I have no problem keeping it within range on days where I eat fresher. Its when I stray to processed foods that I will go over.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    By cutting out prepackaged foods and not adding salt (or limited amounts) to their meals. It's really absurdly easy to keep sodium levels low if you cook from scratch using fresh, whole foods.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. No processed foods and not adding salt to food. I have been able to keep mine below 1000 by not eating processed foodS!
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yup, anything that comes in a box, a can or a package of any sort, normally has a ton of salt in it used to help it stay fresh longer.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Cheese is notorius for having a lot of sodium... as well as more obvious things like snacky chips. I try to counter with extra water if I get too high. And as PP's said, try to go fresh (salads, fruits, plain meats, etc).
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat fresh. Ditch the processed/fast foods and you will be fine!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It seems there's a bit of sodium in everything, even in fresh foods. 95% of what I eat, I've prepared myself and I don't add salt to anything, but if I have any cheese or canned beans or an Amy's burrito or a can of tuna, I find myself above my alotted 2500 mgs in an instant. I'm going to start looking at my weekly averages so I can stop beating myself up so much.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I go over once a week because I'm far too lazy to make my own chicken kievs
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just look at the nutritional information on everything I eat. If it has a lot of sodium, I don't eat it. (well, sometimes I make an exception.)
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This kills me. The only thing that really sends me over is our homemade pizza, but I'm always up there. We never ever eat out, don't cook with salt, and don't use that many sauces etc.

It blows my mind how much sodium people who eat packaged foods and fast food all the time must be consuming!!
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    It's very simple. No processed foods and not adding salt to food. I have been able to keep mine below 1000 by not eating processed foodS!

I wish this worked for me. We never eat processed foods and I'm always above 1000
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yep, fresh is the answer. My question is... why do you pay more for food with less salt? You would think if they didn't put it in it would cost less...
  • Bwalker12
    Bwalker12 Posts: 2
    Options
    I agreed with you. However, I been trying my best to stay away from processed food.
    Plus I use the Tony Chacher's Salt Free Sasoning.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Yep, fresh is the answer. My question is... why do you pay more for food with less salt? You would think if they didn't put it in it would cost less...

the same reason women pay more for clothing with less material lol I don't know it sucks
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I wish this worked for me. We never eat processed foods and I'm always above 1000

You shouldn't go too low. Your body NEEDS some sodium in order to function. And wasn't there even some new report out saying that high sodium WASN'T linked to heart issues??
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options

I have to agree I hardly ever eat processed foods and I am always over 1000
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I cook everything myself unless I am traveling for work and usually come in around 1500/day.